PDA

View Full Version : The Freelancer (What the Fighter would look like if the Rogue didn't exist) [D&D 3.5]

Ziegander
2014-01-31, 01:05 AM
The Freelancer

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110101204858/ogrebattlesaga/images/a/a3/Lanst1.jpg

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d10

Class Skills: All skills are class skills for the Freelancer.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Canny Blow +1d6, Combat Focus, Skill Mastery, Weapon Aptitude

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Special Ability, Uncanny Dodge

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Canny Blow +2d6, Cunning Insight

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Special Ability

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Canny Blow +3d6, Skill Mastery

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2|Improved Uncanny Dodge, Special Ability

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Breach, Canny Blow +4d6

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Special Ability

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3|Canny Blow +5d6, Skill Mastery

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Special Ability

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3|Canny Blow +6d6, Extra Action

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4|Special Ability

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4|Canny Blow +7d6, Skill Mastery

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|Special Ability

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5|Canny Blow +8d6, Foil

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|Special Ability

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|Canny Blow +9d6, Skill Mastery

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|Special Ability

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|Brilliance, Canny Blow +10d6

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Death and Glory, Special Ability
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
A Freelancer is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with light, medium, and heavy armors, and with shields (but not Tower Shields).

Canny Blow (Ex): Whenever the Freelancer hits with an attack of opportunity he deals 1d6 additional damage. This additional damage increases by 1d6 at every odd class level after 1st.

Combat Focus (Ex): In the heat of battle, a Freelancer keeps his head to protect himself from harm. From the start of the Freelancer's first turn until the end of the encounter, during any combat, the Freelancer's adds his Intelligence modifier to his Reflex and Will saves.

Skill Mastery (Ex): At 1st level and again every four levels thereafter, a Freelancer chooses a number of skills for which he has at least 1 rank in up to 1 + ½ his Intelligence modifier (rounded down). He may take 10 on those skills even while distracted or in danger.

Weapon Aptitude (Ex): A Freelancer applies the benefits of any feats he has, aside from Weapon Proficiency feats, that normally apply only to specific weapons to any weapon he wields. For example, he may add the +1 bonus to attack rolls from his Weapon Focus (Greataxe) feat to any weapon he wields, or he could benefit from his Lightning Maces feat while wielding any two weapons.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 2nd level, a Freelancer retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a Freelancer already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Special Ability (Ex): At 2nd level and every two levels thereafter, a Freelancer may choose one of the following special abilities to assist him in his adventures and trials.

Bonus Feat (Ex)
Whenever the Freelancer would gain a special ability, he may take a Fighter Bonus Feat instead. His levels count as Fighter levels when taking feats in this way.

Befuddling Assault (Ex)
Whenever a Freelancer with this trick hits any creature with a Canny Blow or hits a Favored Enemy with any weapon, the struck creature takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls for 1d4 rounds.

Camouflage (Ex)
A Freelancer that selects this trick can use the Hide skill in one of the following terrain types, even if the terrain doesn’t grant cover or concealment: Aquatic, Desert, Forest, Hills, Marsh, Mountains, Plains, Underground, or Urban. While in the chosen terrain, when he does use cover and/or concealment he gains a bonus to his Hide check equal to ½ his class level.

Freelancers may select this trick more than once. Each time a Freelancer selects this trick he chooses one of the above terrain types.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex)
Prerequisites: Freelancer level 8, Camouflage
A Freelancer that selects this trick can use the Hide skill in his chosen terrain(s), even while being directly observed.

Canny Assault (Ex)
Prerequisites: Freelancer level 6, Combat Reflexes
A Freelancer that selects this trick may make a full-attack against an opponent that provokes an attack of opportunity from him. Each of his attacks in that action are considered attacks of opportunity.

Canny Observer (Ex)
A Freelancer that selects this trick gains the Trapfinding class feature as a Rogue of his class level. Furthermore, when using the Search skill to find hidden objects (such as doors or traps) he gains a bonus to his check equal to ½ his class level and is entitled to a Search check to notice a a hidden object whenever he passes within 10ft of it as if he were actively looking for it (the DM typically makes this check in secret).

Craft Lore (Ex)
A Freelancer that selects this trick gains his choice between the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat or the Craft Wondrous Item feat as a bonus feat even if he does not meet the prerequisites, and can produce alchemical or magical items and equipment as a spellcaster with an Effective Caster Level equal to his ranks in any relevant Craft skill (examples given below). He may craft any magic item in this way without the need for spells whose level is no greater than ½ his class level.

Craft (Armorsmithing) - Covers armors and shields as well as bracers, gauntlets, greaves, helmets, and other similar items.

Craft (Bowmaking) - Covers longbows, shortbows, crossbows, arrows, bolts, and other related or similar items.

Craft (Haberdashery) - Covers all cloth and leather articles of clothing such as boots, cloaks, gloves, pants, and shirts, as well as other related or similar items.

Craft (Metalwork) - Covers metal jewelry such as amulets, bracelets, or rings, and other simple metal tools and goods like spades or manacles and bells or chimes.

Craft (Weaponsmithing) - Covers melee or thrown weapons.
Danger Sense (Ex)
A Freelancer that selects this trick gains a bonus to Listen, Spot, and Initiative checks equal to ½ his class level.

Earth Sense (Ex)
Prerequisites: Freelancer level 6, Danger Sense
A Freelancer with this trick has tremorsense out to his class level x 10 feet.

Windtalker (Ex)
Prerequisites: Freelancer level 12, Danger Sense, Earth Sense
A Freelancer with this trick has blindsense out to ½ his class level x 10 feet.

Cunning Trigger (Ex)
A Freelancer that selects this trick can use a swift action to set off any trap within 30 feet that either he safely bypassed or constructed himself.

Distracting Assault (Ex)
Whenever a Freelancer with this trick hits any creature with a Canny Blow or hits a Favored Enemy with any weapon, the struck creature becomes flat-footed until the end of the Freelancer's next turn.

Esoteric Scholar (Ex)
A Freelancer that selects this trick may use ½ his class level in place of his skill ranks in any Knowledge skill and may makes checks with Knowledge skills untrained. He gains a bonus to Knowledge skills he has at least 5 actual ranks in equal to ½ his class level.

Evasion (Ex)
A Freelancer that selects this trick gains the Evasion special ability (see Rogue class). This ability functions even in medium or heavy armor, but only if the Freelancer also carries a shield.

Improved Evasion (Ex)
Prerequisites: Freelancer level 8, Evasion
A Freelancer that selects this trick gains the Improved Evasion special ability (see Rogue class). This ability functions even in medium or heavy armor, but only if the Freelancer also carries a shield.

Expert Climber (Ex)
A Freelancer that selects this trick may climb at half his speed without penalty or at his full speed at a -10 penalty, and gains a bonus to Climb checks equal to ½ his class level. When a Freelancer with this trick fails a Climb check by 5 or more, he can immediately make another check at the surface’s base DC +10. If successful, he stops the fall by clinging onto the surface. He does not take falling damage when he stops his fall in this manner.

Expert Leaper (Ex)
When making jump checks, a Freelancer with this trick is always considered to have a running start. Also, when he falls, a Tumble check against the distance of the fall allows him to avoid all fall damage, even from a height greater than 10ft. The Freelancer also gains a bonus to Jump checks and to Tumble checks made to avoid fall damage equal to ½ his class level.

Expert Locksmith (Ex)
A Freelancer that selects this trick gains a bonus to Craft (Locksmith) and Open Lock checks equal to ½ his class level. The Open Lock DC for opening any lock he makes increases by the same amount. Further, he may open locks as a standard action and can voluntarily increase the check DC by 10 to do so as a swift action.

Favored Enemy (Ex)
The Freelancer gains his first Favored Enemy just like a Ranger. This special ability may be taken multiple times, but the Freelancer must wait at least 4 levels in between taking it.

Finesse Hunter (Ex)
A Freelancer that selects this trick gains Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat. His Weapon Finesse feat applies to all finesseable weapons. He may use his Dexterity modifier in place of his Strength modifier on damage rolls when he wields a finesseable weapon.

Firearms Training (Ex)
A Freelancer that selects this trick gains proficiency with all firearms (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/firearms) and the Gunsmithing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/gunsmithing) feat as a bonus feat.

Interfering Assault (Ex)
Whenever a Freelancer with this trick hits any creature with a Canny Blow or hits a Favored Enemy with any weapon, the struck creature cannot make attacks of opportunity for 1 round.

Master Trapsmith (Ex)
A Freelancer that selects this trick may use the Craft (Trapmaking) skill to make traps much faster than normal, using the item’s gp value as its sp value when determining his progress. Furthermore, he gains a bonus to Craft (Trapmaking) and Disable Device checks equal to ½ his class level.

Nimble Steps (Ex)
A Freelancer that selects this trick does not trigger any effects due to the weight of his steps (such as pressure plates, or certain pit traps, etc) and may move at his full speed across narrow surfaces or through non-magical areas of difficult terrain. He gains a bonus to Balance checks made to move across narrow surfaces, and to Tumble checks made to move through obstructed or otherwise treacherous surfaces, equal to ½ his class level.

Nobody's Fool (Ex)
A Freelancer that selects this trick gains a bonus to all Sense Motive checks equal to ½ his class level. A number of times per day equal 1 + his Wisdom modifier (minimum 1/day), the Freelancer may treat the roll of any Sense Motive check or Will save vs an Illusion as a natural 20.

Opportunistic Piety (Su)
Prerequisite: Cunning Insight
A Freelancer that selects this trick may display a holy symbol as a standard action and spend an Inspiration point to Turn Undead as a Cleric of his class level.

Holy Circle (Su)
Prerequisite: Opportunistic Piety
A Freelancer that selects this trick may spend one Inspiration point and display a holy symbol as a standard action to deal radiant damage to all foes within 30ft of him. Undead and evil outsiders are dealt 1d6 damage plus an additional 1d6 damage per odd class level. Other non-good creatures are dealt half that amount. A successful Will save halves the damage (reducing it to ¼ for a non-good creature). Good-aligned creatures are not dealt damage by this trick.

Punishing Assault (Ex)
A Freelancer that selects this trick may reroll any 1s or 2s he rolls for damage when making a Canny Blow.

Resilient Hunter (Ex)
Once per day per point of his Constitution modifier (minimum 1/day), a Freelancer with this trick can gain a number of temporary hit points equal to the his class level. Activating this ability is an immediate action that can only be performed when he is brought to 0 hit points or below. This ability can be used to prevent him from dying. These temporary hit points last for 1 minute. If the Freelancer's hit points drop below 0 due to the loss of these temporary hit points, he falls unconscious and is dying as normal.

Slayer's Fangs (Ex)
Prerequisite: Two-Weapon Fighting
A Freelancer with this special ability does not suffer any penalty for fighting with two weapons.

Red Cross (Ex)
Prerequisites: Freelancer level 6, Slayer's Fangs
A Freelancer with this special ability may make as many off-hand attacks in one action as he makes main-hand attacks.

Swift Hunter (Ex)
A Freelancer that selects this trick may move up to his speed when using moving silently or when using the survival skill to follow tracks and suffers only a -10 penalty to those skills for moving up to twice his speed. The Freelancer also gains a bonus to Move Silently and to Survival checks made to follow tracks equal to ½ his class level.

Cunning Insight (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a Freelancer gains a pool of Inspiration points equal to 3 + his Intelligence modifier per day. He may spend one of these points as a free action to add his Intelligence modifier to AC, to any d20 roll, or to any damage roll as an insight bonus. He need not apply this bonus to himself, but may apply it to an ally within 30ft instead.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 6th level and higher, a Freelancer can no longer be flanked. This defense denies any creature the ability to sneak attack the Freelancer by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more levels (or HD) than the target has Freelancer levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a creature must be to flank the character.

Breach (Ex): Starting at 7th level, a Freelancer may spend one Inspiration point to overcome a target's damage reduction, hardness, regeneration, and spell resistance for a number of rounds equal to 1 + ½ his Intelligence modifier (rounded down). He may choose to give this benefit to an ally within 30ft instead.

Extra Action (Ex): Starting at 11th level, a Freelancer may spend one Inspiration point to take an extra standard action on his turn, or as an immediate action to take a move action or grant an immediate move or standard action to an ally within 30ft instead.

Foil (Ex): Starting at 15th level, a Freelancer may spend one Inspiration point as an immediate action to Foil the action of a foe within 30ft. He makes an attack roll against that foe using either a weapon in hand or kicking a rock at the foe if he does not wield a ranged weapon (or some other similar ranged attack not involving a weapon). This attack is treated as though it had been readied to interrupt his target's action, and if it hits and deals at least 1 damage, the foe's action automatically fails (movement is halted, spells are countered, attacks are harmless, etc).

Brilliance (Ex): Starting at 19th level, a Freelancer may spend one Inspiration point to gain the benefit of any Extraordinary class feature possessed by a base class at least 4 levels lower than the Freelancer's class level for a number of minutes equal to 4 + his Intelligence modifier.

Death and Glory (Ex): A 20th level Freelancer becomes immune to fear, fatigue, exhaustion and sleep effects and cannot become unconscious, either due to hit point loss or any other reason. Allies within 30ft of the Freelancer add his Intelligence modifier to saving throws as an insight bonus against such effects.

If he does not already have it, he gains the Diehard feat. If he already has it, he remains alive at negative hit points equal to his Constitution score + 10.

Furthermore, whenever the Freelancer slays (or destroys) a foe with 20 or more HD he may take a trophy. For the next 1d8-1 days (a result of 0 counts as 8 hours) after, a Freelancer in possession of such a trophy gains a +20 bonus to all Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Perform checks.

Ziegander
2014-01-31, 12:50 PM
Now complete.

boros_blitz
2014-02-03, 12:04 AM
Just from a quick glance, it looks good, if a little bit overpowered. I'll take a closer look when i have time. Just out of curiosity what was the inspiration behind making this class?

Ziegander
2014-02-03, 12:49 AM
Just from a quick glance, it looks good, if a little bit overpowered. I'll take a closer look when i have time. Just out of curiosity what was the inspiration behind making this class?

I am likely to remove the AC Bonus feature and replace it with Uncanny Dodge (w/IUD coming at 6th), I forgot I made that slightly redundant at 3rd level anyway.

I was worried actually that it was perhaps underpowered as I was aiming at Tier 3, but maybe I reached it with the number of strong options available and not-low optimization floor. I'm not sure I love Finishing Blow, but meh, I felt it needed some kind of extra damage mechanic.

Anyway, the inspiration was something Seerow said. He mentioned that the Rogue class and concept are terrible for D&D, or at least for D&D classes like the Fighter, so I imagined a game without the Rogue, where Barbarian is the big, powerful physical specimen and the "Freelancer" is the wary, smart, experience-based warrior.

Ninjadeadbeard
2014-02-03, 01:24 AM
I'm not sure I love Finishing Blow, but meh, I felt it needed some kind of extra damage mechanic.

I always thought Trailblazer did the Fighter a solid by basically giving him Sneak Attack Damage on Attacks of Opportunity. My players feel the Fighter in that system is OP, for reference.

Don't have a lot of time to look through this, but what I've seen has got my mind going. Might just nab this for a game one day soon. Great job!

Ziegander
2014-02-03, 03:16 AM
I always thought Trailblazer did the Fighter a solid by basically giving him Sneak Attack Damage on Attacks of Opportunity.

Ahh, I like that much better. Time for a new Special Ability!