PDA

View Full Version : Warlock or Hexblade?

Valtu
2014-01-31, 07:31 AM
Warlocks and Hexblades are both interesting classes, and while I'd miss the broad scope of the Sorcerer, I think I'd like to play one at some point in the future.

The two classes seem very similar to one another, but I've never seen a direct comparison between the two.

Does anyone have a particular preference, one way or the other? Are there decent prestige classes available for both to enter? I guess more importantly, which class is generally more useful?

Just a little background, only one of us in the group I play with really goes heavy on optimization. Everybody does a small amount, but there is never any mention of different tiers or anything like that.

Sgt. Cookie
2014-01-31, 07:35 AM
I'd suggest Warlock. They've got some really cool tricks that put them a cut above Hexblades.

Also, there's no reason you should miss playing a Sorcerer. Be a Sorcerer/Warlock multiclass, and then go into Eldritch Theruge to advance both Warlock and Sorcerer.

FMArthur
2014-01-31, 07:42 AM
They're probably very similar in the flavor text, but mechanically they're completely different. The Warlock is basically a magical archer in play, while the Hexblade is a melee class with very poor spellcasting on the side (which is mostly debuff and utility spells).

Hexblades are pretty feature-starved; the designers seemed to think that having full BAB means you don't have to give a class almost anything else. Have you looked at the DUSKBLADE in PHII? It's a much more fun class that's a successful hybrid melee-caster. It can attack and cast spells at once (and attack to deliver spells); the spells themselves are mostly damage with some utility thrown in, making them a lot more comparable to Warlocks.

Amphetryon
2014-01-31, 07:45 AM
If you're keen on Hexblade, I strongly suggest talking with the DM about the Mearls Hexblade Fix, which is a series of tweaks the designer of the Class proposed in a discussion back on 339.

For Warlock, it depends on how high level you tend to get, but I really like combining Warlock 12 with Chameleon 2 for a Magic Item crafter second only to the Artificer for most PO purposes.

Vanitas
2014-01-31, 08:00 AM
They're probably very similar in the flavor text, but mechanically they're completely different. The Warlock is basically a magical archer in play, while the Hexblade is a melee class with very poor spellcasting on the side (which is mostly debuff and utility spells).
Ahem. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159708)

HammeredWharf
2014-01-31, 08:16 AM
Warlock. It's a more viable class and can actually do some things others can't. Hexblade is just a bad fighter with some bad casting as a bonus.

You could also consider a melee bard. They're very capable and have access to more and better spells than hexblades.

Red Fel
2014-01-31, 08:26 AM
Basically:

Hexblade = Melee + Light Spellcasting + Hex (direct and aura)

Warlock = 24-hour at-will powers + Lasers or Claws or a Glaive (sort of) + various tactical options

There's more to it than that, but that's the basic gist. If you want a gish, you're probably better taking Duskblade, or going Clawlock. If you want a different style of spellcaster, go with Warlock and rip it up. Hexblade just doesn't impress, unless you specifically want the fluff.

Kaje
2014-01-31, 08:38 AM
Hexblade is quite nice as a 4 or so level dip in a melee debuffing build. It's quite nice paired with some evil paladin, blackguard, and/or binder.

Person_Man
2014-01-31, 08:42 AM
I'm personally not fond of the RAW version of either class. (Though their are various homebrew fixes I like, including my own Magitech Templar and Hexblade). Neither class gets enough resources.

Hexblade plays like any other Tier 4 hit-stuff class until it gets access to Alter Self, and then eventually Polymorph, which could keep anyone competitive. The real key to the class is getting an Improved Familiar, which shares your BAB and has half your hit points. More importantly, you can use Share Spells with it, which when combined with the aforementioned Alter Self and Polymorph, can pack a real punch.

Warlock is a trick class, with the fun coming from at-will Shatter and Darkness and other fun effects. (Though it can get boring to use the same tricks over and over again). At mid levels there are some cool melee combos (Glaivlock, Clawlock), but they're usually not on par with the stuff you could get from playing a Warblade, Crusader, Swordsage, Totemist, Psychic Warrior, Wildshape Ranger, Duskblade, CoDzilla, etc. Touch attacks are alluring, but getting them or high to-hit bonuses can be done many different ways.

Petrocorus
2014-01-31, 10:42 AM
Warlock is a trick class, with the fun coming from at-will Shatter and Darkness and other fun effects. (Though it can get boring to use the same tricks over and over again). At mid levels there are some cool melee combos (Glaivlock, Clawlock), but they're usually not on par with the stuff you could get from playing a Warblade, Crusader, Swordsage, Totemist, Psychic Warrior, Wildshape Ranger, Duskblade, CoDzilla, etc. Touch attacks are alluring, but getting them or high to-hit bonuses can be done many different ways.

Warlock can also access to fly, invisibility and short-range teleportation rather early in the game.
I don't really like the Duskblade, the class has been doomed by its poor spell list. Because of it, Duskblades tend to become 2-trick pony. Warlock are more versatile, IMHO. A well built warlock can probably more enjoyable overall.

I concur that PsyWar and Gish builds will be more efficient and more versatile than a Warlock or and hexblade, and you can build them while keeping the Hexblade's fluff.

Person_Man
2014-01-31, 11:00 AM
I don't really like the Duskblade, the class has been doomed by its poor spell list. Because of it, Duskblades tend to become 2-trick pony. Warlock are more versatile, IMHO.

That's true. But the Duckblade gets full BAB, and can thus use Power Attack combos + Channel Spell or just blast people with your spells (which is admittedly a poor list, but it does have some gems).

Whereas the Warlock has 3/4 BAB, and so it's limited solely to whatever it can squeeze out of it's limited Invocations. I agree that the Warlock can be more versatile at mid-high levels. But it's not really going to be as good at melee combat as a Duskblade.

Amphetryon
2014-01-31, 11:02 AM
That's true. But the Duckblade gets full BAB, and can thus use Power Attack combos + Channel Spell or just blast people with your spells (which is admittedly a poor list, but it does have some gems).

Whereas the Warlock has 3/4 BAB, and so it's limited solely to whatever it can squeeze out of it's limited Invocations. I agree that the Warlock can be more versatile at mid-high levels. But it's not really going to be as good at melee combat as a Duskblade.

Duckblade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167934), you say? :smallwink:

Petrocorus
2014-01-31, 11:14 AM

I agree, that's the two trick i was speaking about. Plus Arcane Strike. Three tricks.
The Duskblade can be one of the best glass cannon, maybe outdamaging a Warblade or a Übercharger, but it really end up being boring and specialized for a caster.
When i want to play a Duskblade, i play a PsyWar or build a Spellsword or a Swiftblade.

I agree too. I would like however, to compare a Glaivelock or Clawlock with a Duskblade. I mean, i would like to see this in play with two equally experienced and skilled player.

DustyBottoms
2014-01-31, 01:50 PM
Putting in a vote for warlock - one of my personal favorite classes, especially if you pick up hellfire for more respectable damage (and however you wish to mitigate the Con damage is between you and the DM). With a couple of well-picked invocations you can be a flying invisible laser rifle, which can be quite entertaining.

Especially if you're warforged. Heh.

Petrocorus
2014-01-31, 04:17 PM
With a couple of well-picked invocations you can be a flying invisible laser rifle, which can be quite entertaining.

Especially if you're warforged. Heh.

A red and golden warforged?

Valtu
2014-01-31, 06:46 PM
Wow, a lot of really good responses to this one. I'll respond more specifically in a moment. For now, newb question here. . . .what exactly is full BAB?

I get the general meaning behind that. I'd assume a Fighter or Barbarian qualifies as a class with full BAB, and a Sorcerer, Wizard, maybe even a Rogue, might not, but what is the criteria for the BAB of a class being considered "full" and not just higher than whatever other class it's being compared to?

Bakkan
2014-01-31, 06:53 PM
There are, with a handful of exceptions, only three different BAB progressions in the game. A class with full BAB gains +1 BAB every level (for a max of +20 at 20th level). A class with medium BAB gains +3 BAB every 4 levels (e.g. cleric, rogue, for a max of +15 at 20th level). A cllass with poor BAB gains +1 BAB every two levels (e.g. wizard, for a max of +10).

Nihilarian
2014-01-31, 06:54 PM
Wow, a lot of really good responses to this one. I'll respond more specifically in a moment. For now, newb question here. . . .what exactly is full BAB?

I get the general meaning behind that. I'd assume a Fighter or Barbarian qualifies as a class with full BAB, and a Sorcerer, Wizard, maybe even a Rogue, might not, but what is the criteria for the BAB of a class being considered "full" and not just higher than whatever other class it's being compared to?You're over thinking this. It means you get 20 BAB at level 20, which is the max.

Valtu
2014-01-31, 07:06 PM
There are, with a handful of exceptions, only three different BAB progressions in the game. A class with full BAB gains +1 BAB every level (for a max of +20 at 20th level). A class with medium BAB gains +3 BAB every 4 levels (e.g. cleric, rogue, for a max of +15 at 20th level). A cllass with poor BAB gains +1 BAB every two levels (e.g. wizard, for a max of +10).

Ah, ok, that was what I was thinking, but wasn't sure exactly where the lines were being drawn. Thanks!

You're over thinking this. It means you get 20 BAB at level 20, which is the max.

Haha yes, over-thinking things quite a bit :smalltongue:

Valtu
2014-01-31, 07:08 PM
Well it sounds like Warlock is the way to go over Hexblade. Also over Duskblade, which is one of the next things I was going to ask.

Ahem. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159708)

Briefly glanced at that, and wow, that will definitely come in handy. Thanks!

chainer1216
2014-01-31, 07:32 PM
personally i play a 13th level warlock, played him up from lvl2, while i admit he isn't particularly optimized, he was fun for most of that time, but since about lvl10 i've been pretty bored with it, i don't suggest being a warlock for long running things.

and while Hexblade is pretty...meh on its own, it works nicely if one of your party members is a spellcaster, take the alternate class feature from PHBII that gives you a shadow companion that lowers the saves of things next to it, Hex them and then have a cursespewing weapon, you've just made your wizard friend much more deadly!

but with that said, i wholeheartedly suggest using the hexblade update written by its creator. THAT would be a fun character to play.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-01-31, 07:35 PM
but with that said, i wholeheartedly suggest using the hexblade update written by its creator. THAT would be is a fun character to play.

I fixed that for you.

Manly Man
2014-01-31, 07:42 PM
Go for a clawlock build, probably taking Hellfire Warlock if you can, and somewhere after the HFW, take no more than three levels of an initiator (Crusader would probably be best) to pick out some mid-level maneuvers to use your claws with.

Alternately, you could run this Warlock rewrite (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226021) by your DM, since it really helps out with things like your number of invocations, and when you get them. As well, you get a lot more fluff integrated into the crunch of the class, what with the bloodlines involved. I just wish he'd gotten a bloodline in for elementals. That would've been really interesting.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-01-31, 07:46 PM
Warlock has some fun tricks, but it can get repetitive, and it has major problems dealing damage-- you pretty much have to either go the Glaivelock route (a new blast shape invocation from Complete Mage, basically allowing you to make a full attack with your blast when in melee range), or take a level of Binder for the vestige that regenerates ability damage and then grab all three levels of Hellfire Warlock (massive boost to Eldrich Blast damage at the cost of taking Con damage when you use it). Another fun trick for the Warlock is to take two levels of Chameleon (Race of Destiny), which nabs you a bonus feat that you can change every day-- use it to pick up crafting feats, or for Extra Invocation to gain some much-needed day-to-day versatility.

Hexblade is cool, but seriously lacks power-- it doesn't get enough uses of its curse, its spellcasting (though from a very nice list) comes too late, and it can be hard to get both warrior stats and Charisma in a low point-buy. If going that route, take the Dark Companion ACF from the Player's Handbook 2 (auto-debuffing). After that, either get your familiar back through the Obtain Familiar feat (Complete Arcane) and grab and Improved Familiar, or go for an Intimidate build (Imperious Command (Drow of the Underdark), Never Outnumbered (Complete Scoundrel), Dreadful Wrath (Player's Guide to Faerun), stuff like that).

Duskblade is nice, especially for a newbie. You can use Arcane Strike (Complete Warrior) to take advantage of all your spells/day, Knowledge Devotion (Complete Champion; you'll also want Collector of Stories (Complete Scoundrel) to take advantage of your skills and Int focus, and Obtain/Improved Familiar to take advantage of your nice chassis. Sure, you suffer from a poor list of spells known, but that's pretty easy to fix.

The Arcane Disciple feat (Complete Divine) can let you cast a few domain spells, and with your list only going up to 5th level spells you don't have to make much investment in Wisdom to make it work.
If you have access to Prestige Bard (Unearthed Arcana; probably requires you to find a way to get Perform as a class skill), a one-level dip should allow you to "gain access to spells unique to that class's spell list, at the same levels indicated for the standard class." The Bard list has some real gems.
A one-level dip in Sandshaper (Sandstorm) adds a fairly large number of spells to your list, including a variety of buffs, debuffs, summons, and battlefield control.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the three that leap out. (Sandshaper is probably the best option, IMO-- it comes online at level 6, doesn't require much investment, adds a TON of spells, and comes with no ambiguity as to how it works).

Petrocorus
2014-01-31, 08:24 PM
If you have access to Prestige Bard (Unearthed Arcana; probably requires you to find a way to get Perform as a class skill), a one-level dip should allow you to "gain access to spells unique to that class's spell list, at the same levels indicated for the standard class." The Bard list has some real gems.

A good solution, but remember that this is up to the DM. And it comes with a -2 malus to CL for evocation and necromancy spell, kinda problematic for a Duskblade.

There are a couple of other solutions, all problematic too.

Entering Silver Pyromancer from Five Nation, and gaining access to the Paladin spell list, but it's basically impossible for a Duskblade to qualify without DM fiat.
Going Rainbow Servant, and gaining access to the Cleric Spell list, but it will be only at a very high level, and the lost of BAB and HP are a real pain.
Arcane Preparation feat and Mage of the Arcane Order. You can access to the whole wizard spell list. Only four level are needed, so the lost of BAB and HP is not so tough.
Talking to the DM. The Duskblade could be a very nice class if it was not for its very poor spell list. As it is, it's barely T3, rather T4. Directly asking DM adjudication to improve it is probably the best way. The DM could give access to the Hexblade spell list or authorize some buffs, BFC and utility spells case by case. Depending on what are the class of the other party members, it can be really easy to convince the DM.

Nihilarian
2014-01-31, 09:39 PM
A good solution, but remember that this is up to the DM. And it comes with a -2 malus to CL for evocation and necromancy spell, kinda problematic for a Duskblade.

There are a couple of other solutions, all problematic too.

Entering Silver Pyromancer from Five Nation, and gaining access to the Paladin spell list, but it's basically impossible for a Duskblade to qualify without DM fiat.
How is it impossible? Seems simple to me.

Valtu
2014-01-31, 10:04 PM
Very interesting. I really like the fluff/flavor of the Warlock's text, too. The idea of fiendish heritage and all that. I think I'll be rolling up a Warlock at some point soon!

Grod_The_Giant
Mmm. You've got to dip into cleric, I guess, but that's hardly the end of world. (That being said, I don't think the paladin list is good enough to be worth losing two caster levels and two points of BAB, especially since it's not actually granting you more spells known.)

Petrocorus

How do you get Turn Undead?
I meant, without actually dipping into cleric and losing an additional CL.

Amphetryon
2014-01-31, 10:06 PM
How do you get Turn Undead?

Sacred Exorcist is likely doable.

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-31, 10:09 PM
If this were a democracy I'd vote Warlock. I'm a fan of Eldritch Theurge.

Warlock is usually meh without optimising (Just like a huge amount of classes in the game), but that's actually quite easy to manage! There are around 3 or 4 guides/handbooks to Warlocks.

I will always wonder why Imbue Item does not get much more love and chess around the forums, I became a god in my campaign with my eyes closed thanks to Warlock 13. Every spell ever in shape of scrolls? Yeeeees please!

Nihilarian
2014-01-31, 10:12 PM
Sacred Exorcist is likely doable.Definitely doable. You have to get Dismissal or Dispel Evil on your spells known list, at least temporarily. Once you've taken a level in the Silver Pyromancer, you can take Dispel Evil due to added paladin spells to qualify you for Sacred Excorcist while Sacred Excorcist qualifies you for Silver Pyromancer.

Bloodgruve
2014-01-31, 10:26 PM
Not sure if this has been said yet but there were 'suggested fixes' (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/hexblades-handbook.html) for hexblade made by the creator of the class although it was never published in any WoTC book. If your DM would allow the fix it could turn into a very good class. Also you'd want to look at the Dark Companion alternate class feature in PHB2.

Warlock can do some good damage especially with a Clawlock build but it looks like its options are pretty basic. Damage and a few Invocations to play with. Run Human Warlock and PRC into Chameleon, that would be quite fun IMHO.

I'd choose a 'suggested fix' Hexblade w/Dark Companion first. Clawlock or Glaivelock next. The suggestion of Duskblade is good too, its a fun class especially if you run Knowledge Devotion and rank the 6 knowledges up.

GL
Blood~

Petrocorus
2014-01-31, 11:04 PM
You have to get Dismissal or Dispel Evil on your spells known list, at least temporarily.

How do you do this?

lsfreak
2014-01-31, 11:27 PM
If your DM would allow the fix it could turn into a very good class.

I don't know if I'd go that far. The closest thing to a class-defining feature is the Dark Companion, which isn't even a main thing but an ACF. The curse's effects aren't all that impressive, except for the save reduction, but you're not really in a position to make use of it due to your abysmal CL and save DCs. The best I can say is that it's not as limited at low levels as rage, inspire courage, or smite are, but those aren't exactly flattering comparisons.

I'd love to love hexblade, but it's really hard. There's just not enough there to keep me entertained enough to keep playing one.

DMJeff
2014-01-31, 11:35 PM
It's true warlocks do have some tricks because of duration's ect.. can be amusing for a time. However to cure this boredom depending on how easy it is to obtain Magical Items in your campaign they can pick up Arcane or Divine scroll's and use away if you get bored of them. A nice touch on UMD is one of their special ability's. So you could end being more like a token mancer f the regular Warlock gets boring!

Bloodgruve
2014-01-31, 11:51 PM
I don't know if I'd go that far. The closest thing to a class-defining feature is the Dark Companion, which isn't even a main thing but an ACF. The curse's effects aren't all that impressive, except for the save reduction, but you're not really in a position to make use of it due to your abysmal CL and save DCs. The best I can say is that it's not as limited at low levels as rage, inspire courage, or smite are, but those aren't exactly flattering comparisons.

I'd love to love hexblade, but it's really hard. There's just not enough there to keep me entertained enough to keep playing one.

Bah, was being distracted by when I was typing that. I meant a 'very fun' class. It would still be limited but at least could do its thing and feel better if the fixes were allowed...

Blood~

Nihilarian
2014-02-01, 12:57 AM
How do you do this?I don't have access to the book at this moment, but I was specifically thinking of the Drake Helm.

But Arcane Disciple probably works if you want something more permanent.

nedz
2014-02-01, 08:44 AM
I will always wonder why Imbue Item does not get much more love and chess around the forums, I became a god in my campaign with my eyes closed thanks to Warlock 11. Every spell ever in shape of scrolls? Yeeeees please!

It's quite well known, especially with the two level Chameleon dip for the floating feat: Extra Invocation during adventuring // Item creation during downtime.

Valtu
2014-02-01, 09:26 AM
It's quite well known, especially with the two level Chameleon dip for the floating feat: Extra Invocation during adventuring // Item creation during downtime.

That's pretty cool! I'd only skimmed Races of Destiny once and not considered the Chameleon as a class to briefly dip into. That floating feat would be really handy, especially as a caster or someone who doesn't get hardly any feats.

I think our DM has a policy of no more than 3 classes, or so I was told by one of the other players. Not sure if this is a set rule, or if he was simply saying "no you can't do that" to a proposed character idea that someone had once.

I'll have to ask, but worst-case scenario, even if there is a hard, no-exceptions limit of 3 classes, Warlock+Sorcerer+Eldritch Theurge would totally work, as would Warlock+Binder+Hellfire Warlock.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-02-01, 10:56 AM
I don't have access to the book at this moment, but I was specifically thinking of the Drake Helm.

But Arcane Disciple probably works if you want something more permanent.
I don't know if there's a different way to do it without a cleric dip, but you can't do it with Sacred Exorcist. Dismissal and Dispel Evil are 5th level spells, which you get at... 17th level.

Petrocorus
2014-02-01, 11:23 AM
I don't have access to the book at this moment, but I was specifically thinking of the Drake Helm.

I didn't know the Drake Helm. just looked into it, seems really great. Already thinking about using, and why not with a Suel Arcanamach or a Vigilante.

Concerning the Silver Pyromancer, i was actually thinking about it because i used it in one of my Palad'Ir bluids (Paladin / Sha'Ir). The point was to actually be able to do everything a paladin could do, including healing.
But i still believe it's difficult to use with a Duskblade. The Mage of the Arcane Order or the Sandshaper are way better solutions.

Anyway, IMHO, if you want to play a Duskblade or an Hexblade, you'll still be better with using Full BAB 2/ Full Caster 4/ Spells.word 9 / Abjurant Champion 5. The best solution, IMHO, is still to directly asked for DM fiat.

The Warlock, OTOH, have interesting mechanics, at-will abilities (it can be handy not to be limited) and far more room for optimisation i think.

Amphetryon
2014-02-01, 11:26 AM
I didn't know the Drake Helm. just looked into it, seems really great. Already thinking about using, and why not with a Suel Arcanamach or a Vigilante.

Concerning the Silver Pyromancer, i was actually thinking about it because i used it in one of my Palad'Ir bluids (Paladin / Sha'Ir). The point was to actually be able to do everything a paladin could do, including healing.
But i still believe it's difficult to use with a Duskblade. The Mage of the Arcane Order or the Sandshaper are way better solutions.

Anyway, IMHO, if you want to play a Duskblade or an Hexblade, you'll still be better with using Full BAB 2/ Full Caster 4/ Spells.word 9 / Abjurant Champion 5.
Spellsword is really not that hot past a one level dip, though.

Petrocorus
2014-02-01, 11:33 AM
Spellsword is really not that hot past a one level dip, though.

Sure, but my point was to reproduce the abilities and the feel of a Duskblade. Obviously, if the point is to be the most powerful gish possible, you don't use a class that can make you lose 5 CL.

Nihilarian
2014-02-01, 12:25 PM
I don't know if there's a different way to do it without a cleric dip, but you can't do it with Sacred Exorcist. Dismissal and Dispel Evil are 5th level spells, which you get at... 17th level.Dismissal is a 4th level Wu Jen spell, and also a 4th level spell in the balance domain (for arcane disciple). Dispel Evil is a 4th level Paladin spell (won't help you qualify for Sacred Excorcist in the first place, but once you have it you can change the spell in the Drake Helm).

nedz
2014-02-01, 02:12 PM
There are lots of ways of getting these spells

Dismissal Balance domain 4, Exorcism domain 4
Cleric 4, Knight of the Chalice 4, Nar Demonbinder 4, Wu Jen 4, Sorcerer 5, Wizard 5, Sha'ir 5

Dispel Evil Good domain 5, Exorcism domain 5
Paladin 4, Vassal of Bahamut 4, Knight of the Chalice 4, Cleric 5, Good 5
You can grab any of the domains via Arcane Disciple.

Dr. Azkur
2014-02-02, 04:49 AM

Yeah, it's no secret, not what I meant. Still lacks lots of love and I've never read about it in a thread not directly related to Warlocks. I'm not a chef, just a good cook who follows recipes, when it comes to cheese, but I'm sure Imbue Item could work as the core of some hardcore trick to win the game.

nedz
2014-02-02, 07:25 AM
Yeah, it's no secret, not what I meant. Still lacks lots of love and I've never read about it in a thread not directly related to Warlocks. I'm not a chef, just a good cook who follows recipes, when it comes to cheese, but I'm sure Imbue Item could work as the core of some hardcore trick to win the game.

Well it probably moves you up a tier, maybe more, but you do come to the party quite late. Many games are over before level 14: so what do you do for the first 13 levels of your career ?

Schizek
2014-02-02, 07:26 AM
Heblade is gish but if compare is to standard gish builds like:

Warblade 2/ Wizard Specialist 4/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/Abjurant Champion 4
Spell level up 8 with caster lvl 20
BAB 18
Maneuvers up to 8lvl and 2 stances possible more with martial study

Hexblade then look very weak and there is not much than you can do to tweak him. His spellcasting is weak, his off combat options with 2 skillpoints per lvl are very limited and there is not so many prc that blend nice.

Warlock since his invocation selection is very limited, he ends with only few options. You cannot change them to much and class design is just bad. Low saves and low number of skill points make you useless. If you realy want to play demonic warrior then go for binder.

Binder 4/Sorcerer 1/Anima Mage X/ Legancy Champion
Binder 5/Knight of the Sacred Seal/Scion of Dantalion X/X

You will be just better. Both classes Warlock and Hexblade are in tier 4 but because of bad design and limited options you cannot do much to lift them.

nedz
2014-02-02, 09:38 AM
A 2 level Warlock dip is quite good.
Either for Glaive + 1 other or to enable claws with 2 other invocations.
Glaive gets you a reach touch attack which you can get iteratives with, Claws for "natural" attacks.
Probably best on a Rogue type though, Spellthief even.