PDA

View Full Version : Ways to endear an NPC to players?

JW86
2014-01-31, 12:14 PM
Hello,

I'm building together and preparing to hopefully DM for my first time, sometime in the future.

I have some story ideas. I accept that the players will not always follow cues and are free to do whatever they like. However, I would like to introduce an NPC that the players hopefully become somewhat attached to.

The idea is that this character is from a Lawful Good/Neutral plane, comes to the material as part of a task force to stop a certain type of evil extraplanar force from messing with the material plane and potentially threatening her own home plane.

While here, she loses the rest of her task force to said nasties, but through some form of story device I've yet to fully explore, becomes involved with the PCs.

The reason I would like for them to build some form of positive bond with her is because I would plan to have some enforcers from the Lawful Good/Neutral plane, with orders from up top, to apprehend and arrest this NPC, take her back to her home plane forcefully, bruise up the PCs a little bit, and leave them wanting to find a way to go after and rescue her.

If they don't, it's okay, it's an open world. Things can progress and ultimately start affecting the material plane in other ways even if they don't go after her. But I have a lot of good material ready for that plane that I'm eager for the players to explore and enjoy.

So, what I'm asking is for suggestions on ways to help NPCs become valuable, dear, important, etc to players.
Some very rough ideas at this stage involve:
1. Having the NPC help in saving one of the PCs, or PCs families from one of these extraplanar evils.
2. By opening their eyes to the multiverse by informing them on cosmology and happenings beyond their own plane, perhaps expounding on how certain extraplanar happenings are affecting some of the strange things they've noticed on the Material plane.
3 By directly giving them power. This NPC could have the ability to channel her own life force into others, effectively giving them a +1 to all saves, a +d8 hit points, giving them the ability to actually see the otherwise invisible extraplanr evils so they can fight back for themselves, or some similar method of imbuing someone with more power. The characters might gather that "This character = moar powah for me". This ability the NPC has could also be part of the real reason the BBEG behind the scenes wants her arrested, so he can stage her execution, take her back to his demiplane, and abuse her ability somehow for his own gains).
4. Through roleplay - because good roleplay is something good players enjoy. So literally building a rapport, having a quirky personality, etc.

Hmm.. any other suggestions? :smallsmile:

hymer
2014-01-31, 01:14 PM
You can't, really. What's endearing to one person is annoying to another, so getting all the PCs on the same page is hard enough. Running through the list:

1: Might work, or might get the players annoyed at the Mary Sueishness of the NPC.
2: Mentor occupational hazard (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MentorOccupationalHazard). Could easily be seen as you removing the NPC after her having filled her role.
3: This would mean giving the PCs power and then taking it away. Also, some of my players react with annoyance at buffs from NPCs.
4: Couldn't hurt. But could also seem to be the DM saying "Well, you've built a relationship. I will now use that to force you to do things I want."

These things might all work. or they might all frustrate your players. It depends on the players and the exact situation, and on the mood of the players when this is sprung on them. It's virtually impossible to predict.

You can do some simple things, have her laugh at their jokes, take them seriously (asking for advice and following it is one way), and never be a hassle. But whether the players respond is up to them.

So what you need is more reasons to go to that plane, or acceptance of the fact that the players may not want to go there at all. If you aren't forcing their hand, you could be pleasantly surprised.

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-31, 01:24 PM
Have the npc start a secret romance with each of the characters. Don't let the players know that their character isn't the only one being romanced.

ChaoticDitz
2014-01-31, 01:51 PM
Have the npc start a secret romance with each of the characters. Don't let the players know that their character isn't the only one being romanced.

This is exactly the wrong way to make them want to save the NPC. EXACTLY the wrong way. The second they figure it out, they will hate said NPC, and it's very hard to disguise something like that.

About the previous post... Well, it might seem railroady to some, and maybe this is an opinion that I'm alone in having, but I was pretty sure that giving players emotional investments in the story that would potentially drive them to do something, but then leaving it their choice with no more than realistic penalties for not doing so, is the right way to DM. At least for a group of players who care about roleplay and emotional attachments to NPCs. I don't know your players, but I'll tell you now that unless the character is REALLY funny and/or badass, people who don't care about roleplay will likewise never get emotionally attached to NPCs.

Dr. Cliché
2014-01-31, 02:00 PM
Well, to some extent, it may depend on your group. However, these are my thoughts:

So, what I'm asking is for suggestions on ways to help NPCs become valuable, dear, important, etc to players.
Some very rough ideas at this stage involve:
1. Having the NPC help in saving one of the PCs, or PCs families from one of these extraplanar evils.

I'd be careful with this one. It seems like it's more likely to come across as forced, and may make your PCs resent the NPC - rather than like him.

2. By opening their eyes to the multiverse by informing them on cosmology and happenings beyond their own plane, perhaps expounding on how certain extraplanar happenings are affecting some of the strange things they've noticed on the Material plane.

Well, if I'm honest, I'm not sure Captain Exposition will be the most endearing. :smallwink:

4. Through roleplay - because good roleplay is something good players enjoy. So literally building a rapport, having a quirky personality, etc.

This would be my pick. In my experience, personality and quirks - especially entertaining ones - are the best ways to make a character likeable. Basically, just try to make the character enjoyable to be around. You may still be able to work in one of your other ideas, but I'd definitely start with this.

Also, not sure how applicable this is, but you may find this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVxkpOolpKw)useful:

zephyrkinetic
2014-01-31, 02:03 PM
Ha. Come on, man.

LOOT.

I mean, who doesn't love free goodies? Instant friendship.

Jornophelanthas
2014-01-31, 02:28 PM
3 By directly giving them power. This NPC could have the ability to channel her own life force into others, effectively giving them a +1 to all saves, a +d8 hit points, giving them the ability to actually see the otherwise invisible extraplanr evils so they can fight back for themselves, or some similar method of imbuing someone with more power. The characters might gather that "This character = moar powah for me". This ability the NPC has could also be part of the real reason the BBEG behind the scenes wants her arrested, so he can stage her execution, take her back to his demiplane, and abuse her ability somehow for his own gains).

A better way to approach this is to make the NPC a bard specialized in Inspire Courage and support spells, who is greatly ineffective without her task force to inspire/boost/support. The players would fulfill that role for her, and she would be very grateful if they would help her complete her original mission. (Promise a suitable reward and give the players hints that the NPC will be reliable and true to her word.)

Now, remove the NPC when the players are on the final stretch to completing her mission, or have just completed it. If the players want any chance to claim their reward, they will have to find her back on that other plane.
(The mission itself should only offer rather minor loot that is clearly below the player's expectations.)

Of course, if the NPC offered the reward on the authority of the same people who arrested her, her original offer is moot. But still, if the players manage to find and help the NPC again, you as the DM should make sure they receive a sizable reward somehow - approximate value: (value of the original reward) + (level-appropriate reward for the rescue) rolled into one.

---

Or they could shrug it off, and decide that they will not get paid for their efforts. Then it's their loss.

Firechanter
2014-01-31, 02:39 PM
It's hard to nail down some definite DOs, but I can give you some DON'Ts which you should avoid if you want the players to like an NPC:

1. Do Not have the NPC overshadow the PCs! So whatever the NPC's job is, it shouldn't tread on one of the PC's toes.

2. Do Not make the NPC super-powerful (in relation to the PCs). This effectively forbids the "NPC to the rescue" scenario. If a single NPC can pull the PCs out of some **** that they themselves couldn't, he must be so powerful that the players will instinctively be wary.

3. However, Do Not make the NPC a liability to the PCs, either. In short, the NPC shouldn't constantly get the PCs in trouble. Especially not if your main goal is to eventually send the players on a rescue mission for said NPC.

As an example how not to do it, read DM of the Rings. Here Gandalf is the super-powerful, plot-exposing, all-knowing, PC-rescuing NPC whose guts everybody hates.

Depict the NPC as friendly, helpful, competent, who treats the PCs with respect, and then if you're lucky, your players will grow fond of them.

If you want it easy, you can simply bribe them. =D The NPC could procure some nice gear for them. Players love gear. So they will also love (or at least like) whoever gives it to them.

Zirconia
2014-01-31, 03:06 PM
A better way to approach this is to make the NPC a bard specialized in Inspire Courage and support spells, who is greatly ineffective without her task force to inspire/boost/support. The players would fulfill that role for her, and she would be very grateful if they would help her complete her original mission. (Promise a suitable reward and give the players hints that the NPC will be reliable and true to her word.)

I like this, and it could tie in with the reverse of what you had for your first item, have the PCs save the NPC from a nasty fight, being sacrificed, etc. I suggest having her then help, maybe while fighting their way back out, so she is seen more as a valuable companion like the other party members rather than just the hostage ball. Someone built for support, as above, both avoids overshadowing them and explains why the PCs are necessary rather than merely an audience for the Awesome DM NPC.

After escape you can have a bit of exposition and a plea for help + promised reward. A late stage capture, as Jornophelanthas, would probably keep them going to wherever to save her and get paid. You can have a number of intermediate stages/fights/investigations, and based on how quickly they seem to bond with the NPC have her captured earlier and cut out some stages or later.

One other suggestion, don't be too rigid with how you design her out-of-combat abilities, if a Lore check is needed for the next stage and someone in the party can do it, let them, only have her provide info if the party is stuck. Again, part of the "don't have the PC overshadow the party".

dascarletm
2014-01-31, 03:24 PM
I've found my group ends up liking NPCs that are:
A: very forthcoming, yet mysterious.
B: Are Big Damn Heroes!

If there is a situation this NPC can put herself in harms way to help/ save the NPCs. It is important to mention that the NPC shouldn't be powerful enough that this act doesn't pose any sort of risk, yet strong enough to where she just gets in the way and is useless.

Firechanter
2014-01-31, 03:26 PM
Wait, are we talking about an NPC here or a DMPC? If the latter, i.e. one that's supposed to accompany the PCs on their adventures, I second the Bard suggestion.

JW86
2014-01-31, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I am friends with the group I play with, which is a plus.

This is not going to be a DMPC in the dreaded sense of the word. She provides primarily a story purpose. She may accompany them for two-three sessions, but no outshining the PCs allowed. My DM has done that a few times with his characters, so I know it can spoil the fun. She's already been built as an Ardent/Swordsage with a couple of interesting abilities, but won't be doing anything to outshine the PCs whilst they are journeying together, and she'll likewise be conveniently elsewhere during most encounters. She will be a bit more powerful than the PCs early campaign, on an even 1-on-1 power mid-campaign, and considerably less powerful than the PCs by late-campaign, assuming she survives, anyway!

I'll take some time to read over the suggestions in more detail.

So selfish promises of loot and power, combined with building a respectful, friendly, balanced character. Plus other hooks that may guide the players to this plane, aside from hedging all bets on them being bothered to save her. And if I can work out some Bard-style way of her providing bonuses to the group, too.

Thanks.

Telonius
2014-01-31, 04:07 PM
Somewhere along the line, after the NPC is introduced, have the following conversation.

"I'm really glad for our friendship. But there is something about me you should know. [Lawful extraplanar entity] and I have a bit of a conflict. I really don't want you to get too close. I'm afraid they'll turn up some day, and you'll be in the crossfire."

Cue declarations of loyalty by Our Heroes.

When "some day" arrives, the PCs will know exactly who it is, and (with any luck) feel emotionally bound to do something to help.

Haldir
2014-01-31, 04:38 PM
She has to have knowledge that the PC's need to accomplish their goals in the material plane.

Ydaer Ca Noit
2014-01-31, 05:02 PM
Make her obviously less strong than the PCs. Maybe chopped hand? Ask the PCs to make a final quest for her, with her favorite sword as a reward, that was given to her by her ancestors because she will never use it again since she is missing her hand.

Then come and get her.

HammeredWharf
2014-01-31, 05:08 PM
You could approach this from the opposite side and make the PCs really hate the guys who took her. That's much easier. Take something away from them. Make the enforcers a bit more powerful than the PCs are or a bit annoying ("We're the immortal guardians of all that is good in this world! Step aside, pathetic mortals, and let us do our job. This creature belongs to us!") and the players will go out of their way to murder those guys and maybe rescue your NPC in the process.

Of course, doing both isn't a bad idea. I've just noticed people who play D&D tend to like killing monsters more than saving NPCs.

BWR
2014-01-31, 05:38 PM
The best thing you can do is have the NPC show up often and roleplay him/her very well. Detailed, engaing characters, perhaps playing up certain traits that engender good feelings. They have to be memorable. Memorability is the most important aspect of an NPC.
Find out what sort of characters the players like, then focus on that.

In the last session of an L5R game one favored NPC who's been practically a party member (one of those dreaded DMPCs) was killed and had a bigger impact on the players and PCs than the death of a PC the same session. She was sort of like Kaylee from Firefly (except she could set people on fire if she wanted to - she just didn't like to). The key to making her likable was making a personality that appealed to the players (cute and slightly naive), having her played often and in character all the way, and letting her be fun and useful without overshadowing the PCs.

Tengu_temp
2014-01-31, 05:57 PM
Know what kind of character your players like. Then make the NPC that kind of character, and roleplay it well. This is the most important advice - as long as the players like the NPC enough, you can do anything with it.

Make the NPC flawed, but the flaws should be sympathetic. Having a lasting injury, being adorably naive, alcoholism due to dealing with hard past - those are examples of flaws most people like.

Good-humoured characters who don't try to control the PCs' actions are generally well-received. Stuck-up jerks and/or NPCs who try to act as a moral compass to the party are generally annoying.

Don't make the NPC obviously weaker than the party. If the character is a total wet blanket, or if they always lose and have to be constantly rescued, then the PCs will think they're a useless millstone. The NPC should have some spine, and sometimes win, sometimes lose. Players won't mind being rescued from a bad situation by an NPC as long as it's an NPC they like.

Don't try to make the players like the NPC through artificial in-world reasons, such as making it a relative, a long-time friend or a superior of one of them. Those things can work, but they NPC has to be likable even without them. And if it's not likable, then it will make it even worse.

prufock
2014-01-31, 06:48 PM
Tips:
1 - Make the NPC helpful, but not powerful. Have him or her assist the PCs in minor ways that just make their lives easier. Maybe there's a shopkeep who's heard of their heroics and gives them a 10% discount.
2 - Give the NPC a quirky, badass-in-an-uncommon way personality, but not powerful.
3 - Have the NPC be friendly - in a non-socially-awkward way - but not powerful.
4 - BUT NOT POWERFUL.

What worked for me? Aiden - 1st level factotum. The party met him when they were around 5th level, in a tavern, where he playing cards and winning big. He bought them all a drink as he made rounds around the bar, having overheard some conversation they were having. He's got an australian accent and wears one of those bush hats with one side of the brim folded up (though he's since upgraded to a fancy one).

He's been pretty much everywhere, has a ton of knowledge and, being a factotum, is useful in a whole lot of situations. They hired him on to take care of their basic camp duties. He's a good guy, but not above a good grift and will pick some pockets or knuckle some heads with a smile if needed. He gets bloodied up quite a bit, but always scrapes by on the skin of his teeth.

He rarely gets involved in combat, because one hit could destroy him. He never shows up the party, so they have no reason to resent him. Yet they've for some reason come up with the theory that he's a god.

Snowbluff
2014-01-31, 06:51 PM
Have the NPC be the one who rewards the players their WBL and gives them items. While he's not necessarily the guy who gives quests, "he's a nice dude who likes to reward people for helping out."

Metahuman1
2014-01-31, 07:06 PM
I once had my players go on a quest to investigate strange sounds in a cave out of town. After multiple traps and obvious foreshadowing of giant freaking spider, the spider landed form the ceiling with it's back to them and started singing and dancing, and was genuine surprised when if DID finally notice them. And not aggressive, more "Oh, you here to party too?".

Upon confirming with a bit more investigation that the sounds were the spider partying and that it wasn't gonna become a problem, they decided they actually were rather fond of it, except the Arachnophobic player. In my defense, didn't know she was Arachnophobic till we got to the table and by then the hints were already laid out.

Duke of Urrel
2014-01-31, 09:13 PM
Now, remove the NPC when the players are on the final stretch to completing her mission, or have just completed it. If the players want any chance to claim their reward, they will have to find her back on that other plane.
(The mission itself should only offer rather minor loot that is clearly below the player's expectations.)

Ha. Come on, man.

LOOT.

I mean, who doesn't love free goodies? Instant friendship.

Combine these two ideas. Let the NPC give the PCs news of promised loot or a wondrous item of great power. Then, just as the PCs expect to meet the NPC for a briefing on how to acquire this wonderful reward, the NPC goes missing, perhaps mysteriously, but with an indication that powerful beings have intervened. Don't reveal too many details about what happened. Only tantalize the PCs with rumors of wealth, power, honor, and glory.

JW86
2014-01-31, 09:56 PM
Fantastic idea....

I can make the object something that really does exist, and really can be claimed later on in the campaign after freeing her. Something legendary for the group that could be really useful for them in fighting the BBE army. :D

Thanks a lot, I have favourited this thread and will come back on it to extrapolate ideas more thoroughly later.

deuxhero
2014-01-31, 10:46 PM
You could approach this from the opposite side and make the PCs really hate the guys who took her. That's much easier. Take something away from them. Make the enforcers a bit more powerful than the PCs are or a bit annoying ("We're the immortal guardians of all that is good in this world! Step aside, pathetic mortals, and let us do our job. This creature belongs to us!") and the players will go out of their way to murder those guys and maybe rescue your NPC in the process.

No no no. Make them steal credit for the PC's accomplishments. THAT pisses people off.

Oncoming Storm
2014-02-01, 02:48 AM
It always depends on your players. I find my my best characters are relatively harmless (or seem that way) individuals with quirky personalities. Something to make players remember them--after all, they don't have a distinct voice all the time like the PCs--and want to include them. Knowledgeable is also good, provided it's not overplayed.

My most successful NPCs so far have been a Grippli Wizard who took a highly technical and scientific approach to everything, and spoke exclusively in technobabble. (think mordin solus) and a kobold butler for the party who constantly claims to be a 'great and powerful wizard of fearsome arcane might!,' and constantly claims to have solved problems by magic despite evidence to the contrary (leaking roof type problems, not enemy type problems.) In actuality, he wasn't a powerful wizard, but a powerful sorceror with no control whatsoever (a keep may have been leveled in the process of this discovey.)