PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Enchanting a quarterstaff

Ketiara
2014-01-31, 01:40 PM
Hi guys.
I have a pressing issue I need resolved within a few hours. It's about enchanting both ends of my quarterstaff but my DM and I don't see eye to eye. It's not that I don't want to follow what my DM says but I feel that either he or I have misunderstood something rulewise that needs to be clarified.
Here goes:
I would like to wield my staff as a two hand weapon and have a "passiv" and "active" end. My active is going to have +1stunning surge and +1sacred and the passive end +1warning and sizing
I've read numerous posts inhere that indicates that this is possible, I've even asked about this before.
This staff would be a +1sacred,sizing //+1stunning surge, sacred weapon and Pricing something like: staff 0gp, 2xmw 600gp, +3 on the active side and +2 on the passive side and then +5000 for sizing please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now my DM says that if I enchant one side I enchant both sides so the above isn't possible. He used this post (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?268280-Enchant-both-ends-of-a-double-weapon) as reference.

Now English isn't my native language as you might have guessed, but I can't figure it out. And I need some arguments against his claim or at least an understanding where I've gone wrong.

Hope you guys can help me out.

Kind regards
Ket.

Cruiser1
2014-01-31, 01:57 PM
I would like to wield my staff as a two hand weapon and have a "passiv" and "active" end.
You're right, and can certainly do that according to the magic weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm) rules:

Masterwork double weapons incur double the masterwork cost to account for each head (+300 gp masterwork cost per head for a total of +600 gp). Double weapons have separate magical bonuses for their different heads.

nyjastul69
2014-01-31, 02:02 PM
As noted by Cruiser1, you are correct. Also, your English is far superior to many native speakers. I would not have guessed English is not your native language.

Deophaun
2014-01-31, 02:33 PM
Now my DM says that if I enchant one side I enchant both sides so the above isn't possible. He used this post (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?268280-Enchant-both-ends-of-a-double-weapon) as reference.
That post is 100% correct... if you're playing 4th edition, which the post is talking about (they talk of daily powers, which isn't a thing in 3.5, and "the latest rules update from a few days ago" in a post dated 2009). In 3.5, the rules are different and you can enchant both ends, because magic items function completely differently.

Ketiara
2014-01-31, 02:44 PM
Thanks to you all! The dispute is now settled, and the confusion about the link I posted is cleared up!
I knew I could count on you guys!

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-31, 02:46 PM
I would like to wield my staff as a two hand weapon and have a "passiv" and "active" end. My active is going to have +1stunning surge and +1sacred and the passive end +1warning and sizing
I've read numerous posts inhere that indicates that this is possible, I've even asked about this before.
This staff would be a +1sacred,sizing //+1stunning surge, sacred weapon and Pricing something like: staff 0gp, 2xmw 600gp, +3 on the active side and +2 on the passive side and then +5000 for sizing please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now English isn't my native language as you might have guessed, but I can't figure it out. And I need some arguments against his claim or at least an understanding where I've gone wrong.

by RAW 3.5, you are completely correct. You could even do something like an elvencraft longbow with a bow blade and have 4 different groups of enchantments on this "staff" if you really wanted to throw RAW at the dm.

and your English is great.

edit: that's what I get for double checking my info.

Baroknik
2014-01-31, 03:16 PM
I am curious how sizing works in this case... Wouldn't the growth only affect the "passive" side of the weapon wrt dice?

Ketiara
2014-01-31, 06:02 PM
I am curious how sizing works in this case... Wouldn't the growth only affect the "passive" side of the weapon wrt dice?

I consulted my DM and we agreed that it worked on both and it would be silly otherwise.