PDA

View Full Version : Random Race and Class?

sambouchah
2014-01-31, 06:44 PM
I'm building a secondary campaign for my group, for when our DM has work. I was tossing around the idea to make the players roll on tables for their Race and Class, to keep one of our group members from playing something outrageous. Which he often does. Would this be terrible to do to my players?

I am going to be running an Asgardian pantheon campaign pre-Ragnarok. They will encounter a lot of giants and deal with fey quite a bit. As for the tables I was thinking the following. The classes I chose were just kind of off the top of my head, please give suggestions for more Nordic style classes!

For Class Roll 1d10
1- Barbarian
2- Bard(Divine only, add Savage if desired)
3- Druid
4- Cleric
5- Paladin
6- Dread Necromancer
7- Crusader
8- Warblade
9- Swordsage
10- Warlock

For Race Roll 1d8
1- Goliath
2- Half-Giant
3- Elf
4- Dwarf
5- Gnome
6-Human
7- Halfling
8- Half- Orc

I plan on adding more races before rolling the characters of course, just a quick little table.

If rolling is too much for me to have them do what about limiting them to thematic races/classes?

Thanks!
Sam

Hurnn
2014-01-31, 06:49 PM
Terible no, but possibly disapointing yes. Honestly you are using a shot gun to kill a fly. Just tell the one dude to keep it toned down.

sambouchah
2014-01-31, 07:01 PM
Terible no, but possibly disapointing yes. Honestly you are using a shot gun to kill a fly. Just tell the one dude to keep it toned down.

We've tried that, he always complains about wanting to play a Khayal, or Barbed Devil or some other ungodly creature for the entire game. Which is also super annoying.

But I do see what you're saying. I don't know how to keep him from complaining about the character he makes when he's asked to tone it down. Suggestions?

Hurnn
2014-01-31, 07:58 PM
We've tried that, he always complains about wanting to play a Khayal, or Barbed Devil or some other ungodly creature for the entire game. Which is also super annoying.

But I do see what you're saying. I don't know how to keep him from complaining about the character he makes when he's asked to tone it down. Suggestions?

If you are starting at 1 let him; but make him use savage progression from Savage Species. Pretty sure he will want to be a normal pc soon enough.

Honestly I would just not include him if this was a regularly occuring issue. However if thats not an option tell to suck it up, this is the way it is, and quit bitching.

sambouchah
2014-01-31, 08:29 PM
If you are starting at 1 let him; but make him use savage progression from Savage Species. Pretty sure he will want to be a normal pc soon enough.

Honestly I would just not include him if this was a regularly occuring issue. However if thats not an option tell to suck it up, this is the way it is, and quit bitching.

Haha I guess that's what I'll have to do. Thanks for the help, Hurnn!

On a different note, Norse fluff classes, anyone?

Harbinger
2014-01-31, 08:35 PM
What if someone got, say, a half-orc warlock? Or a dwarf dread necromancer? It wouldn't be too bad, and I guess from a certain standpoint getting unusual or unoptimized class/race combos is a good thing, but I feel like it'd be really annoying for a lot of people, myself included.

sambouchah
2014-01-31, 08:51 PM
What if someone got, say, a half-orc warlock? Or a dwarf dread necromancer? It wouldn't be too bad, and I guess from a certain standpoint getting unusual or unoptimized class/race combos is a good thing, but I feel like it'd be really annoying for a lot of people, myself included.

Forgot to mention I would be allowing two re-rolls total. So if you re-rolled race twice you would have to stick with your class, vice versa. Or you could use one on each table, however you deem fit.

Zanos
2014-01-31, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't enjoy it, but groups are different.

I can't imagine anyone enjoying playing a character that was randomly rolled for a long period of time. Maybe a short campaign.

Also, why cleric but no wizard or sorcerer? At first I thought it was a "no arcane" thing, but DN and Warlock are both arcane.

Well first, make sure he's following the rules. A barbed devil is LA: -, and therefore not a valid PC. I assume he's fairly rules savvy if he's always making stuff broken enough to warrant giving everyone random races/classes, so he should know this.

You should probably talk to him about it. If he doesn't listen, he might be a jackass.

sambouchah
2014-01-31, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't enjoy it, but groups are different.

I can't imagine anyone enjoying playing a character that was randomly rolled for a long period of time. Maybe a short campaign.

Also, why cleric but no wizard or sorcerer? At first I thought it was a "no arcane" thing, but DN and Warlock are both arcane.

Well first, make sure he's following the rules. A barbed devil is LA: -, and therefore not a valid PC. I assume he's fairly rules savvy if he's always making stuff broken enough to warrant giving everyone random races/classes, so he should know this.

You should probably talk to him about it. If he doesn't listen, he might be a jackass.

I didn't feel Sorcerer(and especially not Wizards) had enough of a Nordic feel to them. Dread Nec and Warlock don't really either but I like the idea of a Viking-like character raising his comrades to continuously fight their adversaries. The Warlock(if it was rolled) would be more of the local Witch, hated, feared, you know, wanted dead.:smallbiggrin: