PDA

View Full Version : am back.......

CyberThread
2014-01-31, 10:14 PM
Hey all. ... time for more questions.

If someone wanted to make a build for using throwing cards as weapons and a build around then.

How can we weponize the ace of spades?

Boci
2014-01-31, 10:19 PM
Pathfinder has two feats for that. One martial one gishy. In 3.5 you'd be stuck with improvised weapons.

unseenmage
2014-01-31, 11:23 PM
Or an animated deck of cards. Or a stack of cards each of which has been animated.

Minor Servitor from Savage Species gives you Intelligent animated critters. That way they gain feats and skills. There's a fine sized Animated Object in a Dragon magazine somewhere so it's doable.

Is a bit of an expansion on the term 'weapon' but might be better than Improvised Weapons.

Hytheter
2014-01-31, 11:53 PM
Pathfinder has two feats for that. One martial one gishy. In 3.5 you'd be stuck with improvised weapons.

I only know of Deadly Dealer. What's the other one? The feats database isn't yielding results for me.

Fortinbro
2014-02-01, 12:09 AM
A friend of mine is playing a drunken master and has throw anything among other things. She uses a deck of cards as a weapon quite often.

CyberThread
2014-02-01, 12:25 AM
think it be fair to fluff them as bladded cards, and give them shuriken stats?

TaiLiu
2014-02-01, 12:34 AM
It would. Refluffing is the ideal solution, I feel.

theIrkin
2014-02-01, 12:43 AM
As the previous poster said, you could say the card are sharpened or made of materials which allow you to treat cards as either daggers or throwing knives of some sort. 1d4 or 1d3 damage sounds about right to me.

Forrestfire
2014-02-01, 01:09 AM
I'd go with shuriken the base for them, personally. Bladed cards fit the description, anyway.

Targeteer Drow Fighter 2/Rogue 4/Master Thrower 5/Suel Arcanamach 4/Abjurant Champion 5 might work nicely (not in that specific order, of course).

Palm Throw lets you throw two small weapons for each attack you get. Sneaky Shot denies opponents their dexterity to armor class against your attacks, proccing sneak attack, and Weak Spot makes your thrown weapon attacks touch attacks.

At level 20, you've got up to 5th-level spells from your Arcanamach levels, BAB +18, and 2d6 sneak attack damage. However, more important than the sneak attack is that you can have the Craven feat. At some point, you'll want to take a dip into the Otyugh Hole to get Iron Will for Suel Arcanamach.

Your build probably looks like:

Race: Human
Class [Feats]
1) Rogue 1 [Craven, Point Blank Shot (bonus)]
2) Drow Targeteer Fighter 1
3) Drow Targeteer Fighter 2 [Dead Eye, Precise Shot (bonus)]
4) Rogue 2
5) Rogue 3
6) Rogue 4 [Weapon Focus (Shuriken)]
7) Master Thrower 1
8) Master Thrower 2
9) Master Thrower 3 [Combat Casting]
10) Master Thrower 4
11) Master Thrower 5
12) Suel Arcanamach 1 [Two-Weapon Fighting]
13) Abjurant Champion 1
14) Abjurant Champion 2
15) Abjurant Champion 3 [Rapid Shot]
16) Abjurant Champion 4
17) Abjurant Champion 5
18) Suel Arcanamach 2 [Open Slot]
19) Suel Arcanamach 3
20) Suel Arcanamach 4

Early on, you've got Dex to damage on the shuriken and any other ranged weapons from Targeteer, and against flat-footed enemies, you're doing sneak attack damage, your character level from Craven, and an extra helping of your Dex mod from the Drow Fighter alternate features from Drow of the Underdark.

Later, you'll want to get your hands on a Gloves of the Balanced Hand for Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, and you probably want a bunch of +1 Collision shuriken of varying metal types. You can learn greater magic weapon as an Arcanamach, and Abjurant Champion makes your caster level your caster level equal to your BAB (19), so with an Orange Ioun Stone and another CL booster, you're turning 50 shuriken into +5 weapons per casting.

At level 20, you can probably afford to cast haste on yourself, so you'd have five attacks base, plus another two from two-weapon fighting... Which are then doubled because of Palm Throw. And they'd be touch attacks against flat-footed AC from Weak Spot and Sneaky Shot... Heck, if you have some strength and feel like spending more feats, Power Throw doesn't specify that it can't be used on light weapons, so you can probably afford to tank your full BAB into it, for another +18 damage.

Sadly, Targeteer Fighter's Sniper ability doesn't work if you're using Palm Throw or Weak Spot, but it might still be useful (and the ACF gives you shuriken proficiency iirc)

So, you've got 16 attacks against extremely low ACs, dealing 1d2 + 2d6 (sneak attack) + [Dex mod] (dead eye) + 20 (craven) + [up to 18] (power throw) + 5 (magic weapon) + 5 (collision).

If you're up against enemies that are legitimately flat-footed, you get another [Dex mod] from Drow Fighter. If you're up against stuff immune to sneak attack, use gravestrike or golemstrike from your spellcasting levels.

nedz
2014-02-01, 05:38 AM
Shrink Item.
Either by shrinking a suitably shaped item (Door, Shield. etc.) or by pasting the cloth form onto a card.

To use: Simply throw the card and speak the command word.

Boci
2014-02-01, 12:24 PM
I only know of Deadly Dealer. What's the other one? The feats database isn't yielding results for me.

My mistake, its just deadly dealer. And arcane strike, but thats not specific to cards. And goth are gishy. Oops.

Feint's End
2014-02-01, 01:40 PM
@Forrestfire: Sadly that doesn't work as good as you imagine. Palm Throw applies volley rules meaning just one of the shuriken actually gets the damage from sneak attack (it's just one attack roll after all)

CyberThread
2014-02-01, 02:03 PM
what would be a good alternate if I don't have access to targeteer fighter?

Forrestfire
2014-02-01, 06:32 PM
@Forrestfire: Sadly that doesn't work as good as you imagine. Palm Throw applies volley rules meaning just one of the shuriken actually gets the damage from sneak attack (it's just one attack roll after all)

Ah right, that's annoying. Well, it should still apply the craven damage to half of them, and Power Throw still does full damage though... I think.

what would be a good alternate if I don't have access to targeteer fighter?

Drow Fighter is still useful early on, so I'd just use a normal one and pick up EWP: Shuriken with the level instead of the Targeteer's Vital Aim ability.

Hytheter
2014-02-01, 07:26 PM
My mistake, its just deadly dealer. And arcane strike, but thats not specific to cards. And goth are gishy. Oops.

Aw, you got me excited.