PDA

View Full Version : Best (non-cheesy) single monster to Gate in

Venger
2014-01-31, 10:44 PM
Assume the HD cap is 36. I think it'd probably be better to have one big mean guy than a bunch of little mooks, since if you summon 2+ monsters, your cap is your CL instead of 2x CL.

the only planes that're off limits are LG ones and CG ones. Everything else is fair game.

Since gate is a (calling) rather than a (summoning) effect, any monsters I call can in turn summon their own reinforcements. Is that correct?

I know the "right" answer is to chain-gate monsters, but I'm looking to use this in practical rather than theoretical play, so assume that only one "iterative" of summons goes down:

1: I summon monster A
2: Monster A summons reinforcement monster(s): B

for simplicity's sake.

What are good monsters to call?

Klurichir (FF) seems pretty sweet. He's mean and he can summon 2 balors.

What are other good options?

Immabozo
2014-01-31, 10:46 PM
Me.

Oh, sorry, not cheesy. I am the cheese monster

Zanos
2014-01-31, 10:47 PM
Solar might be way under the HD cap, but even without chain gating it still casts as a Cleric 20.

Getting another full caster is pretty hard to beat.

Venger
2014-01-31, 10:58 PM
Solar might be way under the HD cap, but even without chain gating it still casts as a Cleric 20.

Getting another full caster is pretty hard to beat.

What plane are Solars from? I thought they were from Celestia, since they're celestials.

TuggyNE
2014-01-31, 11:29 PM
What plane are Solars from? I thought they were from Celestia, since they're celestials.

As far as I know, Solars are from any of the five upper planes. They serve the deities of good, and are of any good alignment.

Venger
2014-01-31, 11:34 PM
As far as I know, Solars are from any of the five upper planes. They serve the deities of good, and are of any good alignment.

Huh, that's good to know.

It's for using an NE incarnate's gate ability via the planar chausuble, hence the planar restriction.

So I could assume they live in... Bitopia? Ysgard? I'm a little hazy on where the Good outsiders live.

SinsI
2014-01-31, 11:42 PM
Ask your DM what your character's Knowledge(planes) actually allows you to Gate in. Player knowledge of best monsters in all the splatbooks won't help if the character himself have never heard of them...

You might even be limited to only the monsters that have already appeared in your game.

Crake
2014-02-01, 04:02 AM
Ask your DM what your character's Knowledge(planes) actually allows you to Gate in. Player knowledge of best monsters in all the splatbooks won't help if the character himself have never heard of them...

You might even be limited to only the monsters that have already appeared in your game.

Thats what commune is for.
Q "What is the best creature for me to gate in?"
A *Monster from splatbook A*

SinsI
2014-02-01, 04:23 AM
No, it's
Q "What is the best creature for me to gate in?"
A. "Yes?"

Commune doesn't allow you to get answers besides yes/no.

Rubik
2014-02-01, 04:39 AM
Since Gate restricts based on HD and not ECL or CR, add as many templates as you can onto whatever you call. Gold dragons are pretty strong, as are the everpresent solars.

SinsI
2014-02-01, 04:49 AM
Since Gate restricts based on HD and not ECL or CR, add as many templates as you can onto whatever you call. Gold dragons are pretty strong, as are the everpresent solars.

You call ordinary member of the race. Ordinary members don't have templates convenient to you.

LordBlades
2014-02-01, 04:59 AM
You call ordinary member of the race. Ordinary members don't have templates convenient to you.

Actually there's noting of the like in Gate description or in the Calling descriptor, only that you specify 'a creature or kind of creature'. A half-fiend half-green dragon phrenic gold dragon (random choice of templates no idea if legal) is a kind of creature.

Of course it's the DM's call if such a creature exists, but if it does you can call it.

Vetril
2014-02-01, 05:13 AM
Uhm, a deity?
You're probably gonna find one among all the pantheon which would like to interfere with the situation you're facing in a way that can go to your advantage.

In the end however it depends from what you want to do. Combat summons criteria are different from utility summons, for example.

EDIT: actually not many of them have less than 36 hd... Go Thoth!

SinsI
2014-02-01, 05:15 AM
You call either someone particular (in which case it is, arguably, unique and can resist), or a "kind of being".
If you call a "kind of being", the control - all the options, including templates, daily abilities still unused OR extra class levels - is in the hands of the DM, you have absolutely no say in it.

It's really hilarious if you are evil, Gate in a Solar - and it has some extra class levels, bringing its HD to more than twice yours and making you unable to control it!

That is why you should go for "call several creatures" option, as in case they are stronger than you estimated the calling just fails (or, rather, it brings you only creatures you can actually control).

Don't forget that Gate is one of the most unbalanced spells, so DM's should restrict it as much as possible.

If you really want to use it, call for one of the servants of your Deity. At the very least, it might have some inclination to actually help you.

LordBlades
2014-02-01, 05:22 AM
You call either someone particular (in which case it is, arguably, unique and can resist), or a "kind of being".
If you call a "kind of being", the control - all the options, including templates, daily abilities still unused OR extra class levels - is in the hands of the DM, you have absolutely no say in it.

It's really hilarious if you are evil, Gate in a Solar - and it has some extra class levels, bringing its HD to more than twice yours and making you unable to control it!

That is why you should go for "call *several* creatures" option, as in case they are stronger than you estimated the calling just fails (or, rather, it brings you only creatures you can actually control).

Kind of being is nit defined in the rules. You seem to assume kind of being=race&nothing more, which is just your asdumption, not a rule-supported fact.

rmnimoc
2014-02-01, 05:26 AM
Do you consider eldritch abominations from beyond reality "cheesy", becaues I'm pretty sure you could gate in Father Llymic or Zargon the Returner. Father Llymic is 24 HD and can permanently summon a few 24 HD minions a day. He also blacks out the world and puts it on ice, so maybe he isn't the best of choices. Zargon on the otherhand, equals unicorn+cyclops+nightmares. A mere 18 HD, this dude ruled Hell before it was cool (and before Asmodeus beat him up and stole it). He summons the spawn of flubber and the possessed girl from the exorcist. He also gets a regen 50/cold and fire, tied to his horn that nothing short of a tarrasque can tear from his skull. There is also the Hulks of Zoretha, coming in at 16 HD. They are like little baby Elder Evils (despite being older than aboleths), and they are far less cheesy than their older cousins.

SinsI
2014-02-01, 05:28 AM
Kind of being is not defined in the rules. You seem to assume kind of being=race&nothing more, which is just your assumption, not a rule-supported fact.

Anything not defined in the rules is automatically DM's territory - and that's exactly what I assumed.

LordBlades
2014-02-01, 07:37 AM
Anything not defined in the rules is automatically DM's territory - and that's exactly what I assumed.

But that doesn't mean the player by default has no control over anything but race. It's up to the DM what exactly 'kind of creature ' means. I personally feel it takes a fair amount of either ill-will or ignorance to consider a gold dragon the same kind of creature as a half-celestial gold dragon as they don't even have the same type.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-01, 07:48 AM
If your opponents are all nonchaotic, a Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm) Titan, if your opponents are all nonlawful, a Paragon Hellfire Wyrm (MM2). Each of those applies an additional +13 insight bonus to the caster level of their Word of Chaos/Dictum spell-like abilities, so both use those abilities at a caster level of 48. That will automatically kill any opponents with 38 or fewer HD, no chance for a saving throw, and they're almost guaranteed to overcome SR.