PDA

View Full Version : Cyber-Psicrystals and other questionable things

Captnq
2014-01-31, 10:50 PM
Okay, so a psicrystal is this:

Diminutive Construct
Hit Dice: As master’s HD (hp 1/2 master’s)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 20 ft.*
Armor Class: 16 (+4 size, +2 Dex*), touch 16, flatfooted 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–17
Attack: —
Full Attack: —
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Construct traits, hardness 8, psicrystal granted abilities (improved evasion, personality, self propulsion, share powers, sighted, telepathic link)
Saves: As master’s saves
Abilities: Str 1*, Dex 15*, Con —, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Climb +14*, Listen +6, Move Silently +6, Search +2, Spot +6
Feats: Alertness Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: Included with master
Treasure: None
Alignment: As master
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —
*With self-propulsion ability activated.
This glowing crystal is the size of a small human hand. A psicrystal is the artificial externalization of a small portion of a psionic character’s consciousness. It is found only as the creation and companion of a psion, wilder, or character with similar abilities. The psicrystal described here is that of a 1st-level manifester.

Combat: A psicrystal’s characteristics depend on its master. Its Hit Dice are equal to its master’s Hit Dice (counting only levels in psion or wilder), its hit points are equal to half its master’s, and its saving throw bonuses are the same as its master’s.
Construct Traits: A psicrystal has immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, necromancy effects, mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), and any effect that requires a Fortitude save unless it also works on objects or is harmless. It is not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain. It cannot heal damage, but it can be repaired. Psicrystals do not have the usual construct traits of darkvision and low-light vision.

Psicrystal Granted Abilities: The psicrystal described here has the special abilities of self-propulsion, alertness, improved evasion, share powers, telepathic link, sighted, and personality. (If its master chooses not to activate the self-propulsion ability, the psicrystal reverts to a speed of 0 feet and has no Strength score and no Dexterity score.)

Skills: A psicrystal (with its self-propulsion ability activated) uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier on Climb checks. It has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened.

Okay questions:

1) It doesn't say anything about what the crystal looks like. So Can I carve my crystal to look like tiny humanoid?
1a) Can my tiny Crystal Humanoid Wear Equipment?
1b) Can I chop off parts of my Crystal Humanoid and add grafts?
1c) If I graft enough warforged parts onto my psicrystal, can my psicrystal get warforged feats?
1d) I can graft inorganic parts onto an organic creature. Can I graft organic parts onto my psicrystal? You know... because it's MAGIC?

I found an obscure entry in the old Mind's Eye entries about the creatures known as Crystalmals. Apparently, if you get a 20 gp gem from the crystalmal and somehow "craft" it (apparently spending 100 gp in the process, it becomes a normal psicrystal, but gains some perks and drawbacks. (Bonuses to combat, tries to kill you.) The entry is a little vague.

There are no rules on replacing your psicrystal.

So, I have read as much as I can and I believe that you "craft" your psicrystal. Which means you have to follow the crafting rules. Which means it costs you 100 gp, can be any rock you wish to invest 100 gp into, and since it's crafting, it takes a minimum of 8 hours. (standard for crafting anything.)

2) Would it be out of line, regarding the precedent regarding Crystalmals (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20011229a), that if someone loses a psicrystal, they just need a rock, 100 gp, and 8 hours to replace it?
2a) My psicrystal is killed. I'm rebuilding him. Can I choose to respend his stats, or does he always come back the same way?
2b) Do I need to raise dead my psicrystal to get him back with his grafts? Resurrection? If he "loses a level", what does that mean? Does that mean True Resurrection Only?

3) Can my Psicrystal get inherent bonuses from wishes/stat gain books?
3a) Does he keep them if he dies and I "rebuild" him?

4) I'm confused about a construct having hardness and how it's handled in combat. Anyone know where I would find rules on this? Specifically the Vigor/Share Pain with your psicrystal combo. Nothing under share pain indicates that the secondary subject gets to apply any damage reduction or energy defense from the damage.

"You take half damage from all attacks that deal hit point damage to you"

4a) That means the damage is halved after defenses. Would that not indicate that the damage to your psicrystal is also after the psicrystal's defenses, and thus the psicrystal takes the damage without applying hardness?

I understand I can share the vigor with the psicrystal, which doubles it's effectiveness. But I'm talking about some claims that the psicrystal's hardness applies as well.

5) Can my psicrystal use an ioun stone?

6) Can I make my psicrystal into a wondrous item?

7) Back to grafts. If I get a weapon, make it flying (+1 WSA), so it's now an animated object, then use illithid weapon graft to graft it to my psicrystal. Can my psicrystal use the flying weapon to attack?
7a) What if it's a light ballista/crossbow bayonet enchanted to be self-loading as a free action and an extradimenional space for holding 100 bolts?

8) I understand if I can't get eye grafts normally for my psicrystal. Lets say I graft a crown of eyes (Beholder graft) on my psicrystal. Any reason I can't get eye grafts now?

9) Warforged grafts require donor warforged. My Psicristal is very very VERY small in comparison to a warforged. If I graft say... Mighty Arms from a medium sized warforged onto my psicrystal, how does that work?

10) I get a stone spitter from the Maug grafts. Now my Psicrystal can shoot rocks for 1d1 points of damage as a natural attack. Spike stones "in conjunction with an unarmed or natural attack, the spike stones deal an additional 1d4 points of piercing damage with each hit". If my psicrystal gets both, it shoots stones for 1d4+1 damage? What happens if I use halfling Skip rocks so they hit two targets? I know I can enchant the ammunition, but is there any reason I can't enchant my Stone Spitter?

11) From the pirate grafts. Is there any reason I can't get my psicrystal a pegleg? Say, a Leg of Squid and a golden dancing pegleg? Can it get replacement eyes even if it has no eyes to begin with?

12) Can I graft undead parts on my psicrystal? Specifically the enervating arm (The +4 inherent bonus to strength for 40,000 gp is hard to pass up. Hence the previous question about inherent bonuses.)

13) If I get a Yuan-ti Serpent Arm graft on my psicrystal, its "arm" does a flat 1d4 bite damage, because it's an actual snake. Can I then get the undead graft vampire fangs and give them to my snake arm?
13a) If my level drain vampire fang snake armed psicrystal drains someone completely, what form of undead does the body return as?

That covers just about all my questions for now. Looking forward to feedback. Posting this on a few different boards to get as many replies as possible. Please take this seriously. It's going into the psionomicon.

Captnq
2014-01-31, 11:18 PM
New Question:

Is there any way to inflict a disease on a psicrystal? Specifically warp touch.

Maginomicon
2014-01-31, 11:32 PM
First-off, it's called a crysmal.

Second, that's 3.0 material. Psicrystals were redefined since then.

Third, a psicrystal is a creature like any other. Anything a creature can do (as an inherent part of being a creature) a psicrystal can do. That also means it's not an item, so you can't turn it into a wondrous item.

The rest of your questions about squid legs and peg legs and dancing IDK WTF you hurt my brain. I'm going to stop now.

Crake
2014-02-01, 12:12 AM
First-off, it's called a crysmal.

Second, that's 3.0 material. Psicrystals were redefined since then.

Third, a psicrystal is a creature like any other. Anything a creature can do (as an inherent part of being a creature) a psicrystal can do. That also means it's not an item, so you can't turn it into a wondrous item.

The rest of your questions about squid legs and peg legs and dancing IDK WTF you hurt my brain. I'm going to stop now.

To be fair, it's a construct, and so are intelligent items. So is it that big a stretch to be able to turn a crystalline magic item into a psi crystal?

I had a mind mage a few years ago who had amalgamated his celestial weasel familiar and his psycristal, essentially grafted the two together, treating them as one creature with the bonuses of both a familiar and a psicrystal. That was heavy homebrew by me and the DM though.

Captnq
2014-02-01, 12:14 AM
Aren't there rules somewhere for item familiars?