PDA

View Full Version : Southpaw Hare's E6 Classes

ShadowHare
2014-01-31, 11:43 PM
Under Construction
(This is an on-going development which could take some time to spell out.)

--
Introduction

So, I've long been a part of discussing homebrew rules, and I've been through quite a few rulesets over the years. I've used many of both stand-alone class remakes and entire system rebalances. One I've been the most fond of in theory is D&D E6, as I agree with the basic premise that Level 6 makes for an interesting cap (and that conversely, Level 20 is an absurdly high cap).

However, I am not satisfied with simply adding the cap and calling it a day - I think the classes still need improvements and rebalancing even at the low levels. One of the other core principles of E6 is that is favors simplicity in changing as few rules as possible. I think that goes a bit too far - this is my attempt to remake the core classes in an E6-related manner combined with concepts from other more typical rebalancing mentalities.

As always, PEACH. I look forward to open discussion, criticism, and analysis on my ruleset. Please feel free to comment on what I have already done, as well as new stuff as I add it.

Core differences

Unless otherwise noted, all rules can be assumed to be based on E6, which in turn, is based on core 3.5 except where noted.

Hit Points
I have always preferred to use non-random hitpoints in my games. I think the idea listed in the DM's guide of taking exactly half the die size, which is fractional, and alternating high-and-low numbers every other level is a silly over-complication, though - I just round up for a consistent number. It leads to HP that are sliiiightly higher than average, but seriously, it's just way easier and reasonable. As such, the HP that I use in comparison to the dice-rolling system is as follows:

{table=head]Old|New|Name
d4|3|Very Low
d6|4|Low
d8|5|Medium
d10|6|High
d12|7|Very high
[/table]

Saving Throws
Cribbed directly from d20 Rebirth, I prefer having a third "medium" progression for saving throws. All three can be seen here:
{table=head]Low|Med|High
+0|+1|+2
+0|+1|+3
+1|+2|+3
+1|+2|+4
+1|+3|+4
+2|+3|+5
[/table]

Initiative
Initiative has a progression based on class as well! Characters gain a bonus to initiative from their class and level, and they use the same mathematical progressions as the saving throws.

Skills
Classes have a few wildcard slots on skills - at the time of adopting a class, a player selects some number of skills (such as 2 for the fighter) to add to their Class Skills list for that class, personalized to them. They make their choices for each class they multi-class in, but only once per class.

Skill points haven't changed, but since I've given names to all the other types of progressions, I might as well give names to them too, for consistency sake.

{table=head]SP/level|Name
2|Low
4|Medium
6|High
8|Very High
[/table]

--
Fighter

Rules

{table=head]{colsp=2}Stat Progressions
HP|High (6)
SP|Low (2)
BAB|High
FORT|High
REFL|Medium
WILL|Low
INIT|Medium
[/table]

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Refl|Will|Init|Special
1|+1|+2|+1|+0|+1|Bonus Fighter Feat
2|+2|+3|+1|+0|+1|Bonus Fighter Feat
3|+3|+3|+2|+1|+2|Lesser Chosen Weapon (First choice)
4|+4|+4|+2|+1|+2|Bonus Fighter Feat
5|+5|+4|+3|+1|+3|Lesser Chosen Weapon (Second choice)
6|+6/+1|+5|+3|+2|+3|Bonus Fighter Feat, Greater Chosen Weapon
[/table]

Proficiencies: Fighters are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light, medium, and heavy armor, and all shields (including tower shields).

Class Skills: Climb, Craft, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Ride, Swim, plus any other 2.

Fighter Bonus Feat: At 1st level, a fighter gets a bonus combat-oriented feat, chosen from the fighter bonus feats list. The fighter gains an additional bonus feat at levels 2, 4, and 6. The fighter must still meet all prerequisites for the feats.

Lesser Chosen Weapon: At 3rd level, a fighter selects a specific type of weapon that he is proficient with. He acts as though he had the Weapon Focus feat for this type of weapon. At 5th level, he selects an additional type of weapon to gain this trait with.

Greater Chosen Weapon: At 6th level, a fighter selects one of the weapons that he has chosen for Lesser Chosen Weapon. He acts as though he had the Weapon Specialization feat for this type of weapon.

Design Notes

So, the fighter has some buffs - I don't think this is too surprising. I think the changes are fairly minor, with only a few extra things to raise their power level just a tad. Overall, nothing you probably haven't seen before.

The fighter has medium reflex saves, making them not complete clutzes. Their initiative progression (which is new) is also medium, representing some prowess in combat reaction ability, although not as high as the speedster characters like rogues or rangers. They get an extra two customizable skill choices, so they have the potential to have some perception skills, or possibly acrobatic skills as you please, although their skill points are still as limited as before.

The Chosen Weapon give the fighter two free instances of Weapon Focus and one free instance of Weapon Specialization. These feats have always been traditionally pretty underpowered, and yet very thematically fitting of the class (Weapon Specialization is one of the only feats to flat-out list a class as a requirement). So simply, I'm giving them to the fighter for free - they're strictly an addition to the bonus feats that they already got, but they don't get to choose them. It also acts as a Capstone (which is now at Level 6, but it's not like they had one anyway) - not a very GOOD Capstone, as we've said that they're not that great, but a specific final ability nonetheless.

Rogue

Rules

HP|Medium (5)
SP|Very High (8)
BAB|Medium
FORT|Medium
REFL|High
WILL|Medium
INIT|High
[/table]

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Refl|Will|Init|Special|Sneak Attack Damage|Trap Sense
1|+0|+1|+2|+1|+2|Sneak Attack|+1d6|+0
2|+1|+1|+3|+1|+3|Evasion|+1d6|+0
3|+2|+2|+3|+2|+3||+2d6|+1
4|+3|+2|+4|+2|+4|Uncanny Dodge|+2d6|+1
5|+3|+3|+4|+3|+4||+3d6|+1
6|+4|+3|+5|+3|+5|Crippling Strike|+3d6|+2
[/table]

Proficiencies: Rogues are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, and short sword. Rogues are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Class Skills: Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (local), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Perform, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Magic Device, Use Rope, plus any other 1.

Crippling Strike: At 6th level, a rogue can sneak attack opponents with such precision that her blows weaken and hamper them. An opponent damaged by one of her sneak attacks also takes 1d4 points of Strength damage.

Design Notes

The rogue is mostly unchanged, for while they are often considered lower-than-average tier-wise, that problem is also heavily improved by using E6 - a 6th level rogue is actually right around the sweet spot of balance.

Rogues have a slight buff to saves - their secondary saves are medium instead of poor, leaving them with no bad saves. They also have the HP buff that is found in Pathfinder.

Their Capstone ability is simply a slightly modified version of one of their Special Ability choices that they could have normally gotten at level 10. I do not believe that it is at all overpowered for level 6, and it fits nicely as a final added effect to their signature move.

As a special note: Trapfinding is gone! It's simply cut from the rules - one does not need trapfinding to find traps, and anyone with a suitable search skill can do it. Rogues are still the best at it by a considerable margin, based on all their other properties.

Cleric

Rules

HP|Medium (5)
SP|Low (2)
BAB|Medium
FORT|High
REFL|Low
WILL|High
INIT|Low
[/table]

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Refl|Will|Init|Special|0th|1st|2nd| 3rd
1|+0|+2|+0|+2|+0|Domains, Turn or rebuke undead|3|2|-|-
2|+1|+3|+0|+3|+0|Domain Skill Focus|4|3|-|-
3|+2|+3|+1|+3|+1||4|3|2|-
4|+3|+4|+1|+4|+1||5|4|3|-
5|+3|+4|+1|+4|+1||5|4|3|2
6|+4|+5|+2|+5|+2|Divine Gift|5|4|4|3
[/table]

Proficiencies: Clerics are proficient with all simple weapons, with light and medium armor, and with shields (except tower shields).

Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Profession, and Spellcraft.

Domains: A cleric selects three(3) domains from those that belong to his diety or belief system. The cleric adds all of the skills from each domain to his list of class skills (if they do not already have them). The cleric's list of spells that are available for them to cast is formed from a combination of all the spells from each of their domains (a cleric does not have access to other cleric spells that are not from their domains).

Domain Skill Focus: The cleric gains the Skill Focus feat with a skill of their choice from any of those listed in their domains. If none of his domains grant any additional skills, he may choose a skill from the regular cleric class skill list.

Divine Gift: The cleric chooses one of their domains and gains the Divine Gift ability listed in it.

Domains

Chaos
Skills: Bluff.
0th-level spells: Detect Magic
1st-level spells: Detect Law, Protection from Law, Summon Monster I
2nd-level spells: Shatter, Summon Monster II, Enthrall
3rd-level spells: Magic Circle against Law, Summon Monster III, Obscure Object

Courage
Skills: Intimidate.
0th-level spells: Guidance, Resistance
1st-level spells: Remove Fear, Divine Favor, Bless
2nd-level spells: Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance, Heroism, False Life
3rd-level spells: Magic Vestment, Remove Curse, Prayer

Death
Skills: Heal, Intimidate
0th-level spells: Inflict Minor Wounds
1st-level spells: Inflict Light Wounds, Command Undead, Deathwatch, Detect Undead, Hide From Undead
2nd-level spells: Inflict Moderate Wounds, Death Knell
3rd-level spells: Inflict Serious Wounds, Contagion, Animate Dead, Halt Undead, Speak With Dead

Evil
Skills: None.
0th-level spells: Guidance
1st-level spells: Detect Good, Protection from Good, Bane, Curse Water, Summon Monster I
2nd-level spells: Aid, Align Weapon, Desecrate, Summon Monster II, Owl's Wisdom, Eagle's Splendor, Darkness
3rd-level spells: Magic Circle against Good, Bestow Curse, Summon Monster III

Good
0th-level spells: Guidance, Light
1st-level spells: Detect Evil, Protection from Evil, Bless, Bless Water, Summon Monster I, Hide From Undead
2nd-level spells: Aid, Align Weapon, Consecrate, Summon Monster II, Owl's Wisdom, Eagle's Splendor, Calm Emotions
3rd-level spells: Magic Circle against Evil, Prayer, Summon Monster III

Healing
Skills: Heal.
0th-level spells: Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Poison, Purify Food and Drink
1st-level spells: Cure Light Wounds, Lessor Vigor
2nd-level spells: Cure Moderate Wounds, Delay Poison, Close Wounds, Stabilize, Lessor Restoration, Gentle Repose
3rd-level spells: Cure Serious Wounds, Vigor, Remove Disease, Restoration, Remove Blindness/Deafness

Law
Skills: Sense Motive.
0th-level spells: Detect Magic
1st-level spells: Detect Chaos, Protection from Chaos, Summon Monster I
2nd-level spells: Calm Emotions, Summon Monster II, Zone of Truth
3rd-level spells: Magic Circle against Chaos, Summon Monster III, Locate Object Invisibility Purge

Protection
Skills: Diplomacy.
0th-level spells: Resistance, Light
1st-level spells: Sanctuary, Shield of Faith, Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law, Entropic Shield, Deathwatch, Hide From Undead
2nd-level spells: Shield Other, Aid, Resist Energy, Status
3rd-level spells: Protection from Energy, Glyph of Warding, Remove Curse, Magic Vestment

Sun
Skills: Spot.
0th-level spells: Light
1st-level spells: Endure Elements, Faerie Fire, Produce Flame
2nd-level spells: Heat Metal, Scorching Ray, Flaming Sphere
3rd-level spells: Searing Light, Daylight, Continual Flame

War
0th-level spells: Guidance
1st-level spells: Magic Weapon, Shield of Faith, Divine Favor
2nd-level spells: Spiritual Weapon, Aid, Bull's Strength, Bear's Endurance
3rd-level spells: Greater Magic Weapon, Magic Vestment

Design Notes

E6 rules fix a lot of the OP-ness of clerics, who really only start to out-shine others at levels higher than that. However, I've limited clerics anyway, as I've always felt that their spells should be more tied to their domains. I've found that restricting their spell lists actually makes them MORE fun, as domains become far more interesting decisions, while going from near-limitless versatility to only so-so versatility isn't too much of a nerf.

Clerics don't get heavy armor by default. If they want it, they can spend a feat on it - gotta give some places where people can choose to take or not take those sort of feats. Their saves are the same, and their spells-per-day are also the same but simply removing the special rules for what used to be the special domain spell-slot (it's just a regular spell-slot now). They do not gain any wildcard skills as other classes do, but do still gain skills from domains (and even more than before) - their variation in skill choices are entirely based on domain choices.

Instead of getting minor domain-based powers at first level, clerics now get one big domain power as their Capstone. I think that gives them an interesting final decision, as well as a plausible buildup for such fancy, showy supernatural powers.

gorfnab
2014-02-01, 02:24 AM
You might find some inspiration in Gnorman's E6 Compendium (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215986)

Also I think this should be moved to the Homebrew section.