PDA

View Full Version : A Superior Spider-Man Build

SoraWolf7
2014-02-01, 12:46 AM
And no, I don't mean Doc Ock possessing Peter's body. I recent found a class called Yathchol Webrider (http://dndtools.eu/classes/yathchol-webrider/) that seems to be made to emulate Spider-Man perfectly, at least in the wall-crawling and web-slinging. I know Spider-Man builds have been made and reviewed on the Playground before, but I'd like to give this one a shot.

Now I need a way to make webs either as a spell or spell-like ability, because I'd rather not my character look like the Man-Spider mutation of Spidey. I know Web is accessed easily with a 4th level Wizard, but that does Jack for Spider-Man's fighting style, and I'd prefer it to be a spell-like ability if possible.

I'd also like to fill YW out in full, to use that sweet-impact webbing 6/day. If you can, keep my hands and feet open so I can walk on walls however I want, even in an anti-magic field.

Thanks in advance.

Slipperychicken
2014-02-01, 01:09 AM
If you could activate and retract a rod of ropes as a free action slotlessly, then you could use two of those to swing around like spider-man. You could fluff it as Spideys web-shooters.

Grayson01
2014-02-01, 06:38 AM
Is there a Web Warlock Invocation?

Or get Two Moddified Gauntlets with Wand Chambers with Wands of Web in them. Now those are Web shooters

the_david
2014-02-01, 07:15 AM
Skin of the Spider: This midnight-blue skin is highlighted with a red spiderweb pattern and large black-rimmed white eyes. Magic Item Compendium page 172.

- Bonus on climb checks.
- Run across water, quicksand or a spider's web.
- 3/day ranged touch attack to entangle.

Price: 40000gp.

nedz
2014-02-01, 07:18 AM
Well Warlock's can UMD a Wand of Web and then hide in it with Spiderwalk. They can also summon Swarms of Spiders.

Sorcerers can do similar tricks: Spiderclimb, the various Spider Form spells, Web, etc.

Clerics with the spider domain can rebuke spiders and have a few spider spells also.

SoraWolf7
2014-02-01, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far, but I'm looking for a way to cast webs early on or do as as a racial ability. Yathchol Webrider just needs a way to cast the Web Spell or spin webs naturally.

nedz
2014-02-01, 02:17 PM
To cast web you need to be able to cast level 2 spells from any of these lists :- Sorcerer, Wizard, Adept, Sha'ir, Death Master.

The standard way to do this is to take 3-4 levels of those classes.

There are shortcuts to this however.

SoraWolf7
2014-02-01, 02:41 PM
To cast web you need to be able to cast level 2 spells from any of these lists :- Sorcerer, Wizard, Adept, Sha'ir, Death Master.

The standard way to do this is to take 3-4 levels of those classes.

There are shortcuts to this however.

What kind of shortcuts are there?

shortround
2014-02-01, 02:43 PM
Fluffwise, Peter Parker starting off as a wizard makes sense in terms of his intelligence and magic/technology parallels. Take the fighter feat variant from UA (?) to help you pick up the prereq feats and then you're off to the races by level 5? Maybe something like Factotum 8/Wizard 3/Webrider 9? You don't get to advance spellcasting, but Font of Inspiration is a pretty straightforward way of doing his speed and reflexes and allows him to shoot a bunch of web blasts if he so chooses.

SoraWolf7
2014-02-01, 06:28 PM
Okay, so after about an hour of undistracted thought, I decided to go with the Fighter Bonus Feat Wizard ACF for 3 levels to get to the point I need to jump into Yathchol Webrider, and take it for at least 2 levels to get the EX Wall-crawling. I can go further, but before I decide what I want to do, I need to decide what I'm going to take after Webrider.

Currently, I have a few options:

Artificer: Peter Parker is definitely an artificer, from his webshooters to his utility belt to the alternate costumes he made for situations like Electro.

More Wizard: Yes, I could easily take more Wizard and let Peter become a better caster. But since I'm already giving up two levels of casting, this doesn't seem a viable option.

Chameleon: A little ironic considering one of Spider-Man's villains is as such in name, but it does help emulate Peter's understanding of various sciences and his hit-and-run tactics.

Combat Trapsmith: Hey, I'll already have Skill Focus(Trapmaking), so why not use it to make web-bombs?

Scout: Yes, Spider-Man's fighting style is hit-and-run. This would help add to that.

Exotic Weapon Master: Using Twin Spiked Chains while running around? Yes Please! That'd be worth using a few more levels of ACF Wizard to get those feats needed.

Fatespinner: This one is a little more flavorful than anything, since spiders tend to spin webs. (Get it, SPIN? Like Spinning Fate?)

Shadowdancer: This one would be great for Spidey. While it would make him more like Batman, it does allow him to port around and punch people.

Thief-Acrobat: Not prone while wall-crawling and more defensive rolls? Yes please.

I'm still having trouble rounding things down, so at minimum, I have my first five levels planned with ACF Wizard 3/Yathchol Webspinner 2. Any suggestions?