PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Walker in the Waste good?

Yael
2014-02-01, 02:28 AM
Is this prestige class (from Sandstorm, p89) any good?

Free Dry Lich at level 10th, 8/10 spellcasting, and okay features?

Juntao112
2014-02-01, 02:33 AM
Its not bad.

Deca4531
2014-02-01, 02:51 AM
Its ok but I like Sand Shaper (http://dndtools.eu/classes/sand-shaper/), gives you a lot of spells known and some very cool abilitys.

Also I think the dry lich still comes with the LA, but not 100% about that.

Khedrac
2014-02-01, 03:09 AM
The thing to be careful of, is that whilst you get Dry Lich nowhere does it say that you don't get the Dry Lich's Level Adjustment as well, so it's not exactly free.

Personally I think classes like this are designed so you don't get the LA - that's what the class was for, but without a statement to that effect this must be cleared with your DM first.

Silva Stormrage
2014-02-01, 03:32 AM
The thing to be careful of, is that whilst you get Dry Lich nowhere does it say that you don't get the Dry Lich's Level Adjustment as well, so it's not exactly free.

Personally I think classes like this are designed so you don't get the LA - that's what the class was for, but without a statement to that effect this must be cleared with your DM first.

I still think the clear intention was that you don't gain the LA.

Deca4531
2014-02-01, 04:21 AM
I still think the clear intention was that you don't gain the LA.

I also agree that it was probably intended this way but I could also argue to the opposite. The dry lich template says that only another dry lich can help turn you. It also requires some costly jars to store your organs in. 1 could argue that not getting the need for another dry lich to help and the removal of magic items could be the purpose of this class feature. It's definitely something to ask your DM about

Waddacku
2014-02-01, 05:04 AM
It doesn't actually exempt you from the assistance needed in performing the ritual.

Deca4531
2014-02-01, 05:11 AM
It doesn't actually exempt you from the assistance needed in performing the ritual.

I took another look (been a bit) and you are quite right and as a +5 LA (I thought it was closer to 10) I can easily see this feature negating the LA.

Grim Reader
2014-02-01, 07:08 AM
Back in the last days of 3.5, while we were waiting for 4.0, on the WotC message boards, we made a thread where we summarized many of the most hotly debated rules topics for the writers and designers to look at.

And the WotC people looked at it, talked it over and answered. W got a lot of questions settled, some of the to our satisfaction and some to our aggravation. Precosious Apprentice, Rainbow Warsnake, Heighten + Versatile, Arcane Thesis...lots of stuff.

LA for templates granted by PrCs was one of them. The answers was unambigously that templates granted by PrCs do not have a LA. Something about the PrC levels substituting.

Does anoyone still have the thread saved?

danzibr
2014-02-01, 07:28 AM
Back in the last days of 3.5, while we were waiting for 4.0, on the WotC message boards, we made a thread where we summarized many of the most hotly debated rules topics for the writers and designers to look at.

And the WotC people looked at it, talked it over and answered. W got a lot of questions settled, some of the to our satisfaction and some to our aggravation. Precosious Apprentice, Rainbow Warsnake, Heighten + Versatile, Arcane Thesis...lots of stuff.

LA for templates granted by PrCs was one of them. The answers was unambigously that templates granted by PrCs do not have a LA. Something about the PrC levels substituting.

Does anoyone still have the thread saved?
I'd like to see this.

Jeff the Green
2014-02-01, 10:02 AM
It can be quite good. It's a spell level behind by level 10, but you get Charisma to HP (which is rare), d12 HD, and a bunch of random goodies. You do need to be careful with your heat aura, though. If you go unconscious or otherwise can't take actions it flares back up again.

It gets even better if you can enter early. Cleric 3 is an easy entry. You can even get in at 2nd level (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274996) if you want to jump through hoops. It's not so powerful that I'd say its high cheese, and let's you actually be a dry lich for more than five levels.