PDA

View Full Version : Random Question Thread from a Random Player!

INoKnowNames
2014-02-01, 03:48 AM
Title is good, so begin we should!

A Swordsage gets his Wisdom added to his Armor Class as an untyped bonus. Those who earn the Saint Template get to add their Wisdom to their Armor Class as an insight bonus. Would the Saint of Ass Kicking have Double his Wisdom to Armor Class?

If a Dm permits, given that the SRD notes that the features could both exist in the same game (like the example that a ranger could hunt goblins while another could prefer hunting in forests), could a character gain a variant class feature and then gain the regular feature? Specifically, could a Cleric be able to Banish Outsiders, and then go Sacred Exorcist to be able to Turn Undead as well? Not even on Double Pools, but just being able to do either/or, or maybe both at once, having a different effect on the target depending on its type?

How does one adjudicate dice damage for weapons bigger than those listed in the SRD? For example, a 20th level Monk does 2d10 damage per hit. What if said Monk took Improved Natural Attack, and then received a Greater Mighty Wallop buff from an allied Sorcerer of matching level? By my math, we'd be looking at at least 12d10 damage per hit, but for some reason I seem to think I'm missing a size.

If one is under the effect of a Speak with Animals spell, and thus be able to communicate with the animal in question, does such a character need the Handle Animal skill if they already have access to Diplomacy? Rearing an animal, maybe, but getting an animal to do something it may or may not know how to do sounds more than something Diplomacy could cover. Teaching them such tricks or training tricks into them not as much, but still seems like something that could fit.

Lastly, can one Chain a Reach'ed Spell? And could one Twin such a Chained Reach Spell, assuming they could deal with that metamagic adjustment? I'm trying to think of other things I could add, but the only other one that comes to mind is Quicken Spell.

One last last question: If a character with the Unseelie Fey template gains an additional form of Damage Reduction, how does this factor with their weakness to Iron? Barely understand that one, actually.

I'm surprised I don't have more random threads... then gain, all my threads are random. See ya next time!

TuggyNE
2014-02-01, 04:58 AM
A Swordsage gets his Wisdom added to his Armor Class as an untyped bonus. Those who earn the Saint Template get to add their Wisdom to their Armor Class as an insight bonus. Would the Saint of Ass Kicking have Double his Wisdom to Armor Class?

Yes. Different types, different sources, no possible conflict.

If a Dm permits, given that the SRD notes that the features could both exist in the same game (like the example that a ranger could hunt goblins while another could prefer hunting in forests), could a character gain a variant class feature and then gain the regular feature? Specifically, could a Cleric be able to Banish Outsiders, and then go Sacred Exorcist to be able to Turn Undead as well? Not even on Double Pools, but just being able to do either/or, or maybe both at once, having a different effect on the target depending on its type?

Either or. You can't break action economy by burning two at once, sorry.

How does one adjudicate dice damage for weapons bigger than those listed in the SRD? For example, a 20th level Monk does 2d10 damage per hit. What if said Monk took Improved Natural Attack, and then received a Greater Mighty Wallop buff from an allied Sorcerer of matching level? By my math, we'd be looking at at least 12d10 damage per hit, but for some reason I seem to think I'm missing a size.

Choose one of the creature’s natural attack forms. The damage for this natural weapon increases by one step, as if the creature’s size had increased by one category: 1d2, 1d3, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, 6d6, 8d6, 12d6.

A weapon or attack that deals 1d10 points of damage increases as follows: 1d10, 2d8, 3d8, 4d8, 6d8, 8d8, 12d8.

If it goes beyond the listed numbers, nothing special happens. There simply isn't anything there.

If one is under the effect of a Speak with Animals spell, and thus be able to communicate with the animal in question, does such a character need the Handle Animal skill if they already have access to Diplomacy? Rearing an animal, maybe, but getting an animal to do something it may or may not know how to do sounds more than something Diplomacy could cover. Teaching them such tricks or training tricks into them not as much, but still seems like something that could fit.

By RAW, I'm pretty sure you'd still need Handle Animal.

INoKnowNames
2014-02-02, 03:42 AM
Yes. Different types, different sources, no possible conflict.

Excellent.

Either or. You can't break action economy by burning two at once, sorry.

Wait, did you mean no to the overall question (as in no Outsider Banishment as a Cleric then Turn Undead as a Sacred Exorcist)? Or no to the last part (no burning 1 channel positive energy to both banish outsiders and turn undead)? I was a bit more confusing than I had hoped when I first asked this one, I see.

If it goes beyond the listed numbers, nothing special happens. There simply isn't anything there.

Huh. So it would be less damage in that situation than I had first calculated. The existence of a damage celling is surprising, but then again being able to instantly kill a 12th level Cleric or 8th Level Barbarian in about a single punch is probably more than enough damage. I doubt anyone predicted we'd be capable of damaging too much more than that.

By RAW, I'm pretty sure you'd still need Handle Animal.

This is probably the one question I'm cool with a RAI answer: How unreasonable would it be for one who could talk to animals to use just Diplomacy rather than Handle Animal if they could communicate with said animals? Maybe I should edit that into the op....

No response to my other two questions? You almost got all of them in one go!

TypoNinja
2014-02-02, 03:44 AM
Huh. So it would be less damage in that situation than I had first calculated. The existence of a damage celling is surprising, but then again being able to instantly kill a 12th level Cleric or 8th Level Barbarian in about a single punch is probably more than enough damage. I doubt anyone predicted we'd be capable of damaging too much more than that.

Actually, the Epic Level Handbook gives us extra size categories past the usual, you might find an expanded size/damage table in there.

INoKnowNames
2014-02-02, 04:06 AM
Actually, the Epic Level Handbook gives us extra size categories past the usual, you might find an expanded size/damage table in there.

I thought the Epic Level Handbook was part of the SRD for some reason. I'll need to give it a look through, then! Possible Epic Level Punching!

TypoNinja
2014-02-02, 04:32 AM
I thought the Epic Level Handbook was part of the SRD for some reason. I'll need to give it a look through, then! Possible Epic Level Punching!

There is epic stuff on the SRD, I'm just not sure how complete it is.

But what I was thinking of was that Epic Dragons go to Colossal+ have a new melee damage for it, and contain rules for virtual size categories after that. There might be a more generic natural weapon table in there somewhere as well, I'm just not sure where its buried.

TuggyNE
2014-02-02, 06:16 AM
Wait, did you mean no to the overall question (as in no Outsider Banishment as a Cleric then Turn Undead as a Sacred Exorcist)? Or no to the last part (no burning 1 channel positive energy to both banish outsiders and turn undead)? I was a bit more confusing than I had hoped when I first asked this one, I see.

My response was intended to indicate no to the latter only, but it seems to have been too intricately worded. :smallsigh:

This is probably the one question I'm cool with a RAI answer: How unreasonable would it be for one who could talk to animals to use just Diplomacy rather than Handle Animal if they could communicate with said animals? Maybe I should edit that into the op....

It's not exactly bad, but I'd suggest that Handle Animal is the best way to manage it, since animals are more accustomed to doing things that way. Maybe a -2 penalty on Diplomacy checks, or maybe just have it take longer to work it out.

No response to my other two questions? You almost got all of them in one go!

Nope. :smalltongue: My knowledge tends to be pretty accurate, but unpleasantly patchy at times, and I try to know my limits.

But what I was thinking of was that Epic Dragons go to Colossal+ have a new melee damage for it, and contain rules for virtual size categories after that. There might be a more generic natural weapon table in there somewhere as well, I'm just not sure where its buried.

Not that I'm aware of, no, although I do know of the epic dragon progression.

INoKnowNames
2014-02-02, 04:46 PM

Not that I'm aware of, no, although I do know of the epic dragon progression.

The only thing I could find was the Epic Dragon Colossal+ Damage... which is actually smaller than the damage provided by Improved Natural Attack's table. So unless I'm not missing whatever's laughing at me as it hides in plain sight, 12d8 looks like the highest I can go through size increases alone. Cool enough for me, though!

My response was intended to indicate no to the latter only, but it seems to have been too intricately worded. :smallsigh:

It's not your fault; I'm derpy.

It's not exactly bad, but I'd suggest that Handle Animal is the best way to manage it, since animals are more accustomed to doing things that way. Maybe a -2 penalty on Diplomacy checks, or maybe just have it take longer to work it out.

Hm.... I just realized that might be right: communicating requests in a different fashion from how we would normally communicate them, even if the animal could understand exactly what we're speaking, might make them not understand what we're saying, as paradoxical as that might sound...

Nope. :smalltongue: My knowledge tends to be pretty accurate, but unpleasantly patchy at times, and I try to know my limits.

I appreciate the answers so far, at least; thanks. I wonder if I could get the others on the basic Q & A thread, if no one else feels like stepping up for the last bit.