PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Questions about Lunge

MukkTB
2014-02-01, 02:23 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/lunge-combat---final

You must decide to use this ability before any attacks are made.

Is there some place where this is explained to be "any attacks are made on your turn," or something like that. Because as is the wording is incredibly frustrating.

My understanding of the feat is that it is like power attack. The first time you make an attack on your turn you have to decide if you are using it. Then whatever decision you made sticks with you and can't be changed through your turn, and all of your attacks of opportunity until it is your turn again. So it would be nice if someone pointed me to the appropriate rules.

Furthermore I have some additional questions:

#1 If I don't attack on my turn, can I lunge as an AOO?

#2 I get an number of attacks of opportunity per round. Is that round the in game round that resets after everyone's initiative has gone starting whoever rolled highest, or is that round the time between each of my turns?

Firechanter
2014-02-01, 02:42 PM
No, you cant lunge as AoO; that's why it spells "on your turn ". You can do your AoOs as normal.
The reason you have to announce it is the -2 AC penalty. This sticks with you until the start of your next turn.

edit:
however, I suppose you can ready an Action to lunge against anyone who comes into range.

#2, I'd say it resets on your ini count.

Bigbeefie
2014-02-01, 06:00 PM
No, you cant lunge as AoO; that's why it spells "on your turn ". You can do your AoOs as normal.
The reason you have to announce it is the -2 AC penalty. This sticks with you until the start of your next turn.

edit:
however, I suppose you can ready an Action to lunge against anyone who comes into range.

#2, I'd say it resets on your ini count.

Pretty much sums it up.

MukkTB
2014-02-01, 11:45 PM
It doesn't actually say on your turn. It says until the end of your turn. Is there some place where 'until the end of your turn' translates into -'on your turn, until the end of your turn,' or is that the just the best RAW we have?

How about the issue of 'before any attacks are made,' can we clear that up at least?

grarrrg
2014-02-02, 01:23 PM
You are _really_ quibbling words here, and I honestly do not understand how you can be confused on this.

It doesn't actually say on your turn. It says until the end of your turn. Is there some place where 'until the end of your turn' translates into -'on your turn, until the end of your turn,' or is that the just the best RAW we have?

Seriously?
If you decide to use the bonus, it would stand to reason that you get the bonus ON YOUR TURN until it says the bonus ends, which would be the end of your turn.

How about the issue of 'before any attacks are made,' can we clear that up at least?

Yes, on your turn, if you want to make any attacks, you must say you are using Lunge BEFORE ANY ATTACKS ARE MADE.

Lunge for Dummies:
On your turn, before you make any attacks for that turn, you must declare if you want to use Lunge. This is not an action.
If you declare you are using Lunge, then, starting right away, and lasting for the rest of your turn, all of your attacks get +5ft. of Reach. This bonus lasts for the entire duration of your turn, but then ends when your current turn ends.
Also, when you declare you are using Lunge, you take a -2 penalty to your AC until the beginning of your next turn. This penalty starts the moment you declare you are using Lunge, and lasts until your next turn would begin.
Note: On your turn, you can take a Move Action before deciding to use Lunge. In this case you do not yet have the -2 to AC. When you stop moving, you can then declare you are using Lunge, and then both the Reach bonus and AC penalty begin.