PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Crafting for Non-Articifers

A.A.King
2014-02-01, 03:09 PM
What else is there for a crafting build other then Articifer?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-02-01, 07:16 PM
I don't know why you'd want to use anything else if crafting is your primary schtick but a straight wizard isn't too far behind.

I seem to remember a PrC in complete adventurer, the maester, that lets you craft faster than normal.

There's the alchemist savant PrC in magic of eberron that lets you do some interesting things with potions and the master alchemist in magic of faerun that does so in a different way.

Really though, any caster build with craft wondrous items is good enough if you're not centralizing on crafting and, if you are, artificer is as good as it gets.

EugeneVoid
2014-02-01, 07:22 PM
Something about Warlocks. I heard they're good at crafting.
Factotums could probably craft really well :P

Zanos
2014-02-01, 07:33 PM
Chameleon 2 gets a floating bonus feat that can be used to take whatever crafting feat you want to use that day, or a combat feat when you aren't crafting.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-02-01, 07:34 PM
Dude! I completely forgot about warlocks' imbue item.

It takes 12 levels of warlock but after that you can craft anything you have the feats for with a successful UMD check to emulate the required spells. Dropping feats on craft feats is kinda tough on a warlock though.

A.A.King
2014-02-01, 07:45 PM
I'm asking for non-artificer crafting because I like the idea of crafting but I don't like the idea of artificer. I feel they are too specilized and I prefer the idea of a Wizard Crafter.

I'm also wondering because I'm sure there has to be some support for it to allow Wizard/Sorcerer's to dedicate themselves to crafting. The Maester PrC seems very nice

Kelb_Panthera
2014-02-01, 07:55 PM
There's not much outside of being an artificer and options targeted at artificers for crafting. Most casters meet the requirements for those options, however, so that's something; things like the feats that reduce costs and crafting times or the dedicated wright homonculus.

Take a look at the artificer's handbook then apply the advice to your wizard/cleric/what-have-you with a couple crafting feats and you're good.

Urpriest
2014-02-01, 07:57 PM
The Fleshwarper (Lords of Madness) is a pretty good non-artificer crafting-focused class.

Nihilarian
2014-02-01, 08:08 PM
The Battlesmith from Races of Stone can craft without needing spells.

Azoth
2014-02-01, 08:28 PM
Runecaster from PGtF (I think) is definetly a fun crafting choice. It is divine caster, but southern magic or alternate spell source fixes that. Crafting time for your runes is 10min+casting time instead of days, you can put runes on anything with a craft check, after a few levels make them permanent (so custom magic items of any spell you can cast with a finite price guide), the runes go off instantly when triggered (no more full round or longer casting times), you get Maximize Spell for free on your runes, they don't take up magic item slots, and anyone can use your runes without the need of a UMD check.

Baroknik
2014-02-01, 08:29 PM
Though it's specialized, Master Alchemist is stupid fun if you're creative...

mabriss lethe
2014-02-01, 08:34 PM
A build that involves Warlock 12/Chameleon 2 is a good chassis for crafting while still being a competent adventurer.

Gemini476
2014-02-01, 08:43 PM
A build that involves Warlock 12/Chameleon 2 is a good chassis for crafting while still being a competent adventurer.

Warlock/Chameleon is pretty great in general. You can use the bonus feat to pick up some of the more situational Invocations as well.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-02-02, 08:29 AM
The Battlesmith from Races of Stone can craft without needing spells.

No he can't.

The Secrets of the Forge class feature is pretty explicit in that you -do- need access to the requisite spells for the item you're making.

You get craft arms and armor and a CL of 3X your battlesmith level but you'll have to meet spell requirements by magic item or cooperative caster unless you've got one of the bypass features like the artificer's craft item feature or the warlock's imbue item. You can't even use the caster level for picking up other crafting feats since it's specifies that it's only for the crafting of arms and armor.

Nihilarian
2014-02-02, 10:56 AM
No he can't.

The Secrets of the Forge class feature is pretty explicit in that you -do- need access to the requisite spells for the item you're making.

You get craft arms and armor and a CL of 3X your battlesmith level but you'll have to meet spell requirements by magic item or cooperative caster unless you've got one of the bypass features like the artificer's craft item feature or the warlock's imbue item. You can't even use the caster level for picking up other crafting feats since it's specifies that it's only for the crafting of arms and armor.Ah, my mistake.