PDA

View Full Version : Character Creation Help Plz

warrior80
2014-02-01, 04:09 PM
Okay so I am new to 3.5 but have a character idea in mind that I would like to build in some fashion I just don't know how to accomplish it. So I turn to you gurus in this time of need.

Idea: "Shadow Ranger" (for lack of better term) :smallsmile:
Concept: Basically will use a bow to deliver damage from range magic arrows(shadow arrows are what I image). When a creature enters spaces adjacent to him, character will teleport/blink through the shadows to evade him and return to range. Use other "shadow" illusionary tricks to keep enemy confused and what not. Perhaps cast a "Rain of Arrows/Volley" attack and other archer like things.

I like the idea of illusionary tricks/shadow play to keep my character safe. I had the idea of using mirror image to help confuse the enemy and other such illusions. Idk how Ranger/Bard or Sorc would mesh though. Like I said I am a complete noob here.

I also don't know if I should mainly look to be more of a scout/survivalist or a trap-monkey. I think the scout/survival aspect would probably fit in a little better with my backstory I am imaging but I like the idea of never hitting a trap as welll.

Ideas on classes and feats to take and races to use, alignment, etc. would be extremely helpful. Right now I am thinking either Human or Elf (Bow class standard).

I currently have only began to dive into the books but my knowledge is so minimal that any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Current Party (LE Cleric, CG Swashbuckler/Fighter, CG Warmage (Warblade? I confuse the titles), LG Monk)

hicegetraenk
2014-02-01, 04:23 PM
Usually for archery I'd suggest human simply because it's feat heavy character route.

Shadowdancer is a prestige class that somewhat fits the flavor of your idea. Gets hiding in plain sight, which is always nice, and shadow step, which is a mini dimension door through shadows. Very limited uses per day though if I remember correctly.

Combine this with sneak attack / skirmish and you could go for a 'sniper' build, that deals high damage per shot instead of pumping out a high amount of attacks per round.

Jeff the Green
2014-02-01, 04:30 PM
How about Scout 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer/Swiftblade?

Valtu
2014-02-01, 05:06 PM
There's a prestige class in the DMG that sounds like it could be related. It's called Arcane Archer (http://dndtools.eu/classes/arcane-archer/).

Gavinfoxx
2014-02-01, 05:32 PM
There's a prestige class in the DMG that sounds like it could be related. It's called Arcane Archer (http://dndtools.eu/classes/arcane-archer/).

It's kind of a dog with fleas, worth only for niche builds and even then only two levels.

ChaoticDitz
2014-02-01, 05:39 PM
It's kind of a dog with fleas, worth only for niche builds and even then only two levels.

That class works fine in a WotC-op game, which is most likely what he'll be in if he's new (especially if his group doesn't use online forums for optimization, like this one :P). In such a game, Arcane Archer works just fine for more than two levels, especially with the utter lack of legitimate gish options in Core (heavens above, why couldn't Eldritch Knight just get spell levels...). It isn't really meant to be a caster by any means despite the name, but it's no more sucky than, oh, a monk or a fighter.

Urpriest
2014-02-01, 08:10 PM
This sounds exactly like a Shadowcaster (Tome of Magic). They get magical "Arrows of Dusk", they can teleport to avoid attacks as per the Flicker mystery...overally, it's exactly what you're asking for.

Jeff the Green
2014-02-01, 08:28 PM
This sounds exactly like a Shadowcaster (Tome of Magic). They get magical "Arrows of Dusk", they can teleport to avoid attacks as per the Flicker mystery...overally, it's exactly what you're asking for.

If you go this route, try the semi-official fix (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?184955-Shadowcaster-fixes-by-Mouseferatu) posted by the author. The class as written in ToM has too few mysteries per day to be a good... anything, really, but especially a good archer.

gorfnab
2014-02-02, 03:30 AM
Champions of Ruin has a prestige class called Justice of Weald and Woe, which could be used to fit a portion of your concept. With some finagling Telflammar Shadowlord from Unapproachable East nets you the teleporting options. A refluffed Warlock from Complete Arcane could work, just have the Eldritch Blast look like magic shadow arrows when it's used.