PDA

View Full Version : Shall we meet again by candlelight? (3.5/PF, Spells)

Phillammon
2014-02-01, 04:46 PM
Symposium
School: Divination; Level: Wizard/Sorcerer 5, Bard 5
Components: V, S, M (A handful of Amethysts, costing a total of 1000 gp)
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Range: Touch
Target: 1 candle/2 caster levels
Duration: Permanent
The rite of Symposium imbues a set of candles with deep-rooted arcane connections to each other. The candles targeted gain a moderate aura of divination. If, after this ritual is performed, any two or more of these candles are lit at the same time, the beings that lit the candles are able to communicate as the spell Telepathic Bond. If a being lights a candle, it becomes impossible for any other being to light the candle (unless it is subject to dispelling or similar), and that being becomes unable to light any other candle from the same Symposium. Each candle burns out after it has been alight for a total time of 10 minutes/caster level.

Symposium, Greater
School: Divination; Level: Wizard/Sorcerer 7, Bard 7
Components: V, S, M (A handful of Amethysts, costing a total of 2000 gp)
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Range: Touch
Target: 1 candle/2 caster levels
Duration: Permanent
As Symposium, but candles enchanted by Greater Symposium are not limited by plane- the Telepathic Bond still forms if the lit candles are on multiple different planes. Additionally, if a being that has lit a candle of the Symposium is dead and at least one other candle of the Greater Symposium is lit, the candle belonging to the dead being lights of its own accord. While the candle burns, the dead being may communicate via the Telepathic Bond as if it were alive. If the candle goes out for any reason, the dead being becomes unable to communicate again. If all candles of a Greater Symposium belonging to living beings are unlit at the same time, any candles of the Greater Symposium belonging to dead beings go out of their own accord.

So! Any thoughts? Have I missed another spells that do something identical? I may have the wrong school of magic, I realized pretty early, but I couldn't find any which seemed to fit better, and as Telepathic Bond is divination I went with that, but there are similarities with Dream (illusion), and other conjuration and necromancy (more for Greater, granted) spells. So yes, to reiterate. Any thoughts?