PDA

View Full Version : So many versions of FFIV: which to choose?

danzibr
2014-02-01, 07:57 PM
I've played most of the FF's, and my top two favorites are VII and IV, in that order. The originals, btw (not that VII's been remastered or anything).

I got a hankerin' for some retro RPG, and felt like playing FFIV of all games. I went to looking, and now there's like a bazillion different versions, and all with different features. For some reason, they didn't just keep adding as they went. I was really excited when I saw a version where you could change your final party, then... they took it away. ...?

Anyway, for those of you who have played multiple versions, which would you suggest?

By the way, the only versions I could buy right now would be the Chronicles version (on the PSN, or so I hear) and the one for iOS, since I lack a PSP and other systems. Regardless, I'm interested in what is supposedly the best version, if there is one.

According to my research (though I haven't played any of them), it *looks* like the complete collection for PSP would be best if you prefer the retro look/feel, and the DS/iOS (I guess they're basically the same?) would be best for the 3D look.

As far as wanting more content, I think they each have their own stuff. The iOS one doesn't have the interlude thing or the after years, I believe, and you can't switch out your party. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Mewtarthio
2014-02-02, 03:30 PM
The PSN version actually does have revamped graphics, though it's not 3D. As for which version's better: I personally like the 2D graphics more than the 3D, but that's personal preference. Bear in mind, the 3D versions apparently have a different script which is more informative. I haven't played any of them myself, so I can't really comment on the changes.

As for gameplay differences: The PSN version lets you swap out party members at the end of the game, while the 3D versions do not. The PSN version has a post-game dungeon (nothing special; it's the usual JRPG "go through jumbled-up versions of places you've been before with a few gimmicks and bosses), while the 3D versions instead have a couple of extra superbosses. The PSN version includes Interlude and The After Years, while the 3D versions do not. The 3D versions add an entire extra "Augment" system which lets you add new abilities to party members (spending Augments on the many, many temporary party members of the game rewards you with new Augments when they leave).

Winthur
2014-02-02, 03:33 PM
From what I can tell:
The American FF4 (Final Fantasy II, SNES): has quite a lot of cut content, particularly when it comes to Dark Knight Cecil, and as compensation it's easier overall.
Original Final Fantasy IV (SNES): unless you know Japanese, you will have to settle for a fan translation, and the main one seems to be the one by J2E. That one is okay, but it also tried to be more humorous than it needed to be, and that's by adding popculture references that might feel forced. For example, Palom and Porom will compare you to William Shatner, and Golbez will be pretty sarcastic. It's still the original SNES FF4, so it's the best option if you're a purist.
It seems like that from there you have the DS and the PSP version. DS made a jump to 3D, and it looks... rather blockish. I think it's ugly. It's also rather heavily altered when it comes to mechanics.
PSP pretty much looks like a straight port from the SNES. The changes to the gameplay itself seem to be minimal.
iOS is pretty much the DS version graphically but they cut all the additional content from the DS (which isn't much to write home about, but still). As a reason it's kind of a weird mishmash. I definitely prefer the classic FF look.

So PSP is the way to go it seems.

EDIT: Also I can't read apparently. I guess Mewthartio covered the PSN version, though, so no harm done.

erikun
2014-02-02, 04:04 PM
The PSP version (Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection) is indeed the best version if you're looking for the classic experience. It has new and cleaned up character sprites, while still keeping the appearance of the original. The game not only comes with FFIV, but also Interlude (the only place to find it) and the follow-up game The After Years, which continues the story. The PSP version apparently also has the bonus dungeons, added with the Advance title, and the ability to swap party members towards the end of the game. (In the original FFIV, you had a set five characters at the end.)

The DS version is a lot of fun by itself. All the sprites and areas were redesigned into 3D models, with a lot of parts in the game redesigned as well. Pretty much everything in the game is made for the better - boss battles are more challenging and require a bit of planning, weapons are now visible on character models, little things like being able to see each characters' thoughts at any point in the story, and so on. The game also has an "augment" system, where you can give characters abilities to do things they normally couldn't - rather than getting the ability to switch characters towards the end, you can instead give your cast the abilities of other characters. Noteworthy, though, is that you are stuck with the set five characters at the end of the game (which is how the original FFIV worked) and that it is only the FFIV game, not Interlude or The After Years. It is also fairly challenging, as I haven't gone through the final dungeon and finished the game myself yet. (Although I'm being a bit lazy about it.)

The PS1 version (in Final Fantasy Chronicles) was actually rather disappointing, overall. This version does add cutscenes (although with rather poor CGI compared to now) and it battles loaded slowly when compared to the SNES title... or any other version, really.

I am having some trouble identifying which version is on the Playstation Network. The iOS version appears to be the DS version, and while I'm not familiar with how good of a port it is, the DS version itself is quite good. A Google search seems to indicate that Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection is available on PSN but only for PSP/Vita, which is probably what you want if you're looking for the classic experience. I'm not finding Final Fantasy Chronicles available on PSN under any name, although I'd be hesitant to recommend it over the iOS version if it was.

danzibr
2014-02-02, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the responses, all!

I am having some trouble identifying which version is on the Playstation Network. The iOS version appears to be the DS version, and while I'm not familiar with how good of a port it is, the DS version itself is quite good. A Google search seems to indicate that Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection is available on PSN but only for PSP/Vita, which is probably what you want if you're looking for the classic experience. I'm not finding Final Fantasy Chronicles available on PSN under any name, although I'd be hesitant to recommend it over the iOS version if it was.
That's what I was afraid of. I may have recalled wrongly for for Chronicles. All things considered, I'd rather to Complete Collection over the DC or iOS versions, but I have no PSP, and I don't want to buy a PSP.

Apparently it's possible to get your PS3 to play PSP games by itself (and asked about this in another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=16915490)), but I'm hesitant to attempt this. It looks like I might just have to wait until they make yet another release.

KillianHawkeye
2014-02-04, 07:39 PM
The PS1 version (in Final Fantasy Chronicles) was actually rather disappointing, overall. This version does add cutscenes (although with rather poor CGI compared to now) and it battles loaded slowly when compared to the SNES title... or any other version, really.

I didn't the PS1 remake was THAT disappointing (although it is, admittedly, the only remake of the game that I've played). Sure there were some loading issues, but pretty much every PS1 game had loading issues.

IMO, the game is worth it for the re-translated script alone, but you also get access to the full "hard type" game like the original japanese version so you could use Cecil's dark wave attack and whatever the other differences between the two original versions there were. (Sorry, it's been almost 15 years since I played it and I don't remember everything.)