PDA

View Full Version : [3.0/3.5] Forgotten Realms Lore - Monks, Shifters, and Undeath

Manhelm
2014-02-01, 08:29 PM
Hello everybody, this one's kind of strange and the lore doesn't really speak for itself. Let me try and make this out...

I'm starting up a non-evil, wisdom-based Elven Monk / Shifter focusing on turning themselves into the form of a spirit, which would then classify them as undead. The idea here is that they study death, spirits, and the afterlife, and wish to remain on the Prime Material far past their time (like Baelnorns) to assist Elven society, guide the dead, and render service until the last elf is called to Arvandor. This would of course lead the character into defense of the broader Elven culture, tradition, and society.

Here's the trick: They're going to focus on this for a long time, forsaking the physical body to manifest the spirit, and attempt to take the form of their OWN spirit until they can readily leave their own body behind. I want to throw in some Asian ghost folklore with some Tibetan Buddhist flare, rounding it out with FR Elven religion. Sort of an "ascension" from the mortal body to remain in the prime, rather than a a necromantic revival.

How can I make this work and not be seen as an abomination by undead-hating elves? Would the Seldarine permit Elves to stay behind after life in service, if they're not wizards seeking to be Baelnorns? Not heeding the call for Arvandor is supposed to be one of the greatest sacrifices an Elf can make.

Thanks!

Palanan
2014-02-02, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Manhelm
Here's the trick: They're going to focus on this for a long time, forsaking the physical body to manifest the spirit, and attempt to take the form of their OWN spirit until they can readily leave their own body behind. I want to throw in some Asian ghost folklore with some Tibetan Buddhist [flair], rounding it out with FR Elven religion. Sort of an "ascension" from the mortal body to remain in the prime, rather than a a necromantic revival.

It sounds like you have an interesting, well-thought-out concept...but it's not clear to me exactly what you're trying to do, in particular the part about taking the form of your own spirit until you can leave your body behind. Maybe it's just your particular phrasing, but I can't really grok the idea from this.

That said, I really understand how difficult it can be to frame a question when you're mulling over a concept, and not quite sure how to present that concept in game terminology--the fact you're not able to work out the mechanics affects your ability to present the question in game terms.

Either way, a little more detail about what you want to do with the spirit-form would be helpful--although please bear in mind forum rules prohibiting discussion of real-world belief systems.

For now, just a couple basic suggestions:

1. I don't use psionics at all, but I'm wondering if there's a way to do the spirit-out-of-body thing with something from that subsystem. Naturally Psyren is your man on that approach.

2. Just to get ideas, you might check out the silveraith template from City of the Spider Queen (http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Fantasy-Roleplaying-Forgotten/dp/0786928743/), pp. 127-128. Maybe not entirely what you're looking for--although it involves your becoming undead, there are some forced alignment changes--but something to get started with, anyway.

3. You might also look at the phantom template from Monster Manual V, pp. 130-131, which gives you the ability to become incorporeal. Not quite leaving your body behind, but spirit-like in some respects, and it doesn't automatically make you undead. (Although confusingly enough, their sample NPC is undead to begin with.)

Originally Posted by Manhelm
How can I make this work and not be seen as an abomination by undead-hating elves?

Really good roleplaying? :smalltongue:

Seriously, this is something that would depend a lot on your character's particular culture, as well as how your DM interprets those attitudes. Naturally this part would be simpler if you were in Eberron, and I really don't know the nuances of how Faerūn's elves might view the undead.

If you have the option to develop a particular elven culture of your own, rather than just the character, you might be able to create the very attitudes you're hoping for. That would be very much up to your DM.

Sian
2014-02-02, 11:39 AM
If memory serves, there is a few deathless elves rounding around in Everska

actually ... looking at it, those are most likely Baelnorns (as you yourself mentioned)