PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Help with Oracle healer build

Unbalanced
2014-02-01, 11:04 PM
So we're about to start Rise of the Runelords again, this time with me as a solo player. So I'll be controlling 2 characters and my DM will have a semi-NPC tagging along.
We used some dice rolling to decide our characters to keep some interesting randomness to it.
I will be playing a Human Oracle and a Half-Giant Soulknife, and my DM will be playing a Catfolk Rogue.

So anyways, I'm having a bit of trouble planning out my Oracle.
We also rolled for stats and I've got it ridiculously good (which my DM has allowed since being a bit OP will help with us to deal with the story with a small party)

STATS: 17, 17, 17, 15, 14, 13

My plan was to go for the dual-cursed archetype and choose the Wolfscarred curse and deaf as the silent spell/20% spell failure synergize very well and I love the flavour of it.
I thought I'd use my bite as my primary weapon. Perhaps with a shield for shield bashing and defense? (How does a shield interfere with casting?)
I'd like him primarily to be a source of knowledge and curative spells/abilities.
And perhaps a bit of a battlefield controller. Not looking for a buffer or a fighter.

What do people suggest?
I've read the handbook that I could find, but it seems incomplete and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around all the options...

Thanks for any help.

Bigbeefie
2014-02-02, 12:09 AM
I recommend Cleric over a Oracle. As Oracles are heretical scum. But on a less serious note. You will get more out of a prepared caster in this campaign then a spontaneous one. You will be able to fix the problems that come up without dedicating a spell learned to it. Perhaps even a evangelist cleric. With bardic performance you can "Buff" on the fly and will allow you to cast control type spells when needed. Command and suggestion are great control type spells on the weak minded and you can use walls and fogs as mass Control. Would allow you to focus as a Caster cleric over being someone's typical band aid and buff bot.

P.S. that really is a joke about Oracle. Not many people like them....They like the Idea of them but when it comes down to it most people end up saying, "I wish I rolled a Cleric instead."

Unbalanced
2014-02-02, 12:49 AM
Appreciate the opinion and feedback...
But unfortunately this is what I rolled so this is what I'm stuck with. I'm trying to make the best out of the situation I'm in.
Also, I don't mind the idea of playing something out of the norm. I've played a cleric before so I'm looking forward to this change.

But anyways, my point is... Race, class and stat scores are locked in. They're unchangeable.

andreww
2014-02-02, 05:13 AM
P.S. that really is a joke about Oracle. Not many people like them....They like the Idea of them but when it comes down to it most people end up saying, "I wish I rolled a Cleric instead."

I will take the Oracle any ay of the week and twice on Sundays. Even ignoring the Half Elf Paragon Surge user gaining spontaneous access to every spell in the game the bonus spells favoured class bonus means you can easily cherry pick the best spells off the cleric list which isn't all that great in PF anyway.

Mysteries are significantly better than Domains, Cleric Channel is a horrible trap and even the curses will give you good stuff. Give me an Oracle over a Cleric any time.

To the OP. If you are determined to by a Healer then grab the Life Oracle. Take the Life Link revelation and the Channel one. Life Link all your party members and heal yourself. With three party members though you may be better playing something a lot more offensive.

If you want to be a source of Knowledge then go Lore Mystery. You can make loads of checks at +20 to guarantee success. For battlefield control not much beats Heavens which keeps colour spray relevant as a save or suck throughout its entre career.

On curses Legalistic is good, just don't make any promises. Blackened adds some useful spells to your list if you don't plan to make physical attacks. Haunted adds some useful spells to your list but can be awkward if you need to draw scrolls or wands.

Regardless of what you do take the Human Oracle Favoured Class bonus every level after level 3 for additional spells known. Consider taking the Racial Heritage: Half Elf feat at level 1 to allow you to grab paragon surge later on to access all spells. You may want to check with your GM first that they are ok with it.

On shields, they don't interfere with casting provided you have a free hand for any spell with somatic components. That means you couldn't also be carrying a weapon.

Unbalanced
2014-02-02, 04:54 PM
On shields, they don't interfere with casting provided you have a free hand for any spell with somatic components. That means you couldn't also be carrying a weapon.

Thanks for that.
Thinking I'll go for chain shirt and a heavy steel shield.
Utilize my bite attack from Wolfscarred curse as my only weapon.

Are there any feat/feat chains or spells that will help me overcome the problems of my deafness? Keeping in mind my deafness won't scale with levelling as per the rules of Dual-Cursed. Perhaps something to gain me tremorsense or something along those lines??

I plan on taking Improved Initiative to offset my deafness initiative penalty, what other feat at level 1 would be good? Perhaps Extra Revelation? That way I can get both Life Link and Channel at 1st level???

Another question: The added revelation option from Dual-Cursed reads as;

Misfortune (Ex): At 1st level, as an immediate action, you can force a creature within 30 feet to reroll any one d20 roll that it has just made before the results of the roll are revealed. The creature must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll. Once a creature has suffered from your misfortune, it cannot be the target of this revelation again for 1 day.
Does this mean if I don't take it at level 1 then I miss out and can't take it at all??

NamelessNPC
2014-02-02, 05:11 PM
no, you can take it at any level. Having said that, take it at 1 because it rocks.

Unbalanced
2014-02-02, 06:15 PM
no, you can take it at any level. Having said that, take it at 1 because it rocks.

If it was after the results of the roll were revealed I'd agree, but before the results are revealed? I don't know. You could potentially turn a 1 to a 20... Its 50/50 whether it actually works for or against you.

Arbane
2014-02-02, 07:19 PM
If it was after the results of the roll were revealed I'd agree, but before the results are revealed? I don't know. You could potentially turn a 1 to a 20... Its 50/50 whether it actually works for or against you.

I think you get to see the number rolled, just not whether it succeeded or not. (So if it's a 1 or a 20, you do know...)

grarrrg
2014-02-02, 08:33 PM
Are there any feat/feat chains or spells that will help me overcome the problems of my deafness? Keeping in mind my deafness won't scale with levelling as per the rules of Dual-Cursed. Perhaps something to gain me tremorsense or something along those lines??

I'd just recommend taking Deaf as your Primary Curse, and have Wolfscarred be the one to not advance.

Unbalanced
2014-02-02, 10:29 PM
I think you get to see the number rolled, just not whether it succeeded or not. (So if it's a 1 or a 20, you do know...)
Hmm.. I definitely wouldn't read it that way. But if that is the way it works, it makes it look much more appealing!

I'd just recommend taking Deaf as your Primary Curse, and have Wolfscarred be the one to not advance.
I did consider it, but I don't like the idea have being stuck with a 1D4 weapon for the rest of the character's life...

Unbalanced
2014-02-03, 04:42 AM
I did consider it, but I don't like the idea have being stuck with a 1D4 weapon for the rest of the character's life...

On second thoughts... I might just rely more on the shield as a weapon rather than my bite and deal with a 1d4 set of chompers for the entirety of the game.
If that doesn't suffice, then I can work something else out. Ie. buy a weapon.
Fact of the matter is, ideally he'll be staying out of combat as much as possible. Or at least keeping it at range with spells.