PDA

View Full Version : Body slots on a rock.

Captnq
2014-02-02, 12:19 AM
So, I have a perfectly spherical rock, but it's intelligent and a construct. What sort of body slots does a perfectly spherical rock have when it comes to wearing magic items?

Alleran
2014-02-02, 12:20 AM
Headband?

Also, I came into this topic after erroneously reading "body shots on a rock" instead.

MonochromeTiger
2014-02-02, 12:21 AM
you could...put a chain shirt around it I guess? really I'm not sure of many magic items that would fit on it and not fall off or get smashed when it moves, assuming it moves.

Alent
2014-02-02, 12:24 AM
Stone to flesh it, give it a psionic chest tattoo, Flesh to stone?

Captnq
2014-02-02, 12:24 AM
Let's say it hops.

So, head slot, face slot, belt slot, body slot.

I assume no rings, hands, bracers, or boots.

What about neck slot? Shoulder slot?

And what about a cylinder instead? Would that get shoulder and neck?

Captnq
2014-02-02, 12:26 AM
Stone to flesh it, give it a psionic chest tattoo, Flesh to stone?

So you'd say I could put psionic tattoos on a rock if I stone to flesh, then flesh to stone, yes?

Forrestfire
A single boot :smalltongue:

I could see armor, rings, a headband, gloves, and boots being made for a rock. They'd probably overlap a lot, though.

Zweisteine
I would say a headband and hat slot would be allowed for sure (especially if tė rock is head-shaped). A neck slot might be usable. I might also allow one clothing item, simply draped over the rock.

If the rock can have protrusions, or a custom harness, other slots might w available as well (Savage Species has a harness that gives arms). If this is possible, I'd say it could wear a cloak, a necklace, a hat, a headband, an amulet, and possibly a ring or two.

This is one of this things that might be really hard to deal with. There really is no way to give a rock some body altos without transforming it into something else.

But don't forget your Ioun Stones and psychoactive skins!
A Psychoactive Skin of Proteus can give typing the full array of body slots for merely 84k gp.

KillianHawkeye
2014-02-02, 12:38 AM
Lords of Madness gives the following body slots for one nearly-spherical creature, the Beholder: Headband/hat/phylactery/helmet, 3x eye lenses or goggles (central eye and up to 2 eyestalks), 3x amulet/brooch/medallion/necklace/periapt/scarab (eyestalks), belt (eyestalk), bracers (eyestalk), 3x ring (eyestalks). Beholders cannot wear vests, vestments, shirts, robes, suits of armor, cloaks, capes, mantles, gloves, guantlets, boots, or shoes.

So taking away the slots that are dependent on the Beholder's access to its eyes or eyestalks, that leaves........ just the head slot. So give your rock a hat and call it a day!

Spore
2014-02-02, 12:43 AM
It's threads like these why people will never take roleplayers seriously. Along with "Lightning Bolt" guy and bad LARPers. =/

Captnq
2014-02-02, 12:53 AM
It's threads like these why people will never take roleplayers seriously. Along with "Lightning Bolt" guy and bad LARPers. =/

I have NPCs to build and Players to murder. If I can do it with a sphere, so be it.

I never play the game. I run the game.

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-02, 12:54 AM

Wait. Is that really all that is going against us? I mean, most of the world has max ranks in not taking subcultures seriously, and I think we are really just screwed, because the big DM in the sky is probably giving us some massive circumstance penalty to most social skills, among other things. Add in a touch of pedantry and an obsession with something that is totally imaginary.

Well, I hardly think this thread even makes the Top Ten in our list of problems.

/half-sarcasm

ZeroNumerous
2014-02-02, 01:00 AM
So, it's perfectly spherical. Is it hollow? Could it not have ring slots on the inside via carvings?

Stone-to-flesh, carve it out, include several spots to put items, put it back together and flesh-to-stone the whole mess. Could probably get a couple of ring slots and maybe a neck slot out of that.

HaikenEdge
2014-02-02, 01:04 AM
Let's say it hops.

I feel like there was a missed chance here to say, "It goes end-over-end along the ground. That's how it rolls."

Necroticplague
2014-02-02, 01:05 AM
Personally, I'd just go with it having most the slots, just in modified forms. It can wear headbands, rings, and waist, but all are modified to just be bands that go all the way around the rock. You could put a hat on top of it, and goggles could be used to give it a lens slot. Armor would have to be custom made, and would probably be something similar to a cozy you drape over it. Weapon and hand slots are just out of luck, though, as are cloaks and footwear probably. Very precisely made fittings might be able you get you the shoulders. I guess if you wanted, you could probably replace the hat with either a glove, boot, or cape if you didn't mind being silly.

Rubik
2014-02-02, 01:12 AM
I'm fairly sure that the only slots it would have access to would be the ones on the torso -- ie, shoulders, vest, armor, and belt. It has no limbs or head, so any of those slots are out. It gets one weapon slot from armor spikes and anything that can be fit on them (such as a weapon crystal, along with the standard armor crystal), and it might also use a dancing weapon and animated shield, assuming it can activate them. Alternatively, it could use that exotic shield that you wear on your back. Turtle shield, I think? And Ioun stones and any other non-held, slotless items.

[edit] It can also wear ectoplasmic skins, since they have their own exclusive torso slot.

Jeff the Green
2014-02-02, 01:13 AM
Personally, I'd just go with it having most the slots, just in modified forms. It can wear headbands, rings, and waist, but all are modified to just be bands that go all the way around the rock. You could put a hat on top of it, and goggles could be used to give it a lens slot. Armor would have to be custom made, and would probably be something similar to a cozy you drape over it. Weapon and hand slots are just out of luck, though, as are cloaks and footwear probably. Very precisely made fittings might be able you get you the shoulders. I guess if you wanted, you could probably replace the hat with either a glove, boot, or cape if you didn't mind being silly.

We're talking about outfitting a rock. I think Captnq is okay with silly.

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-02, 01:32 AM
I feel like there was a missed chance here to say, "It goes end-over-end along the ground. That's how it rolls."

A rock that rolls? How novel! *insert many plays-on-words/generally punnage*

Generally speaking, though, I'd go for that thing and put the items on the inside of the rocks. That could be super useful, as they are out of line of sight (which may render them undispellable, no?). Anyway, pretty secure place to store the items.

Rubik
2014-02-02, 01:34 AM
Add a feathered wings graft, paint it gold, and...

Coidzor
2014-02-02, 01:35 AM

Hope you don't have any wizards riding broomsticks to contend with.

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-02, 01:39 AM

Hope you don't have any wizards riding broomsticks to contend with.

*gets joke waaaay too late*

*sigh*

I feel old.

Nihilarian
2014-02-02, 01:41 AM
Give him some Ioun Stones and name him Ore-rry.

Rubik
2014-02-02, 01:48 AM
Give him some Ioun Stones and name him Ore-rry.That's like joining the Bill Nye fan club and saying you're a Nyehilist.

Maginomicon
2014-02-02, 01:49 AM
The Magic Item Compendium actually addresses this. Page 219. "Size and Shape".

Telonius
2014-02-02, 02:22 AM
I'd allow it a necklace or amulet slot. 'Cause everybody wants a rock to wind a piece of string around. (Free internet awarded to anyone who gets the reference without looking. :smallbiggrin:)

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-02, 02:50 AM
I'd allow it a necklace or amulet slot. 'Cause everybody wants a rock to wind a piece of string around. (Free internet awarded to anyone who gets the reference without looking. :smallbiggrin:)

Is that not a They Might Be Giants reference? I would never interwebz it, totally destroys the fun of trivia, imho. But it sure sounds familiar.

Telonius
2014-02-02, 03:31 AM
Yep, last track of Flood, "We Want a Rock."

Chronos
2014-02-02, 08:42 AM
According to Magic of Incarnum, such a creature would have exactly one chakra, the heart chakra (which I think corresponds to the vest slot). A similarly-shaped creature with a Con score would also have the soul chakra, which corresponds to armor.

Chakras aren't exactly the same as item slots, but they're close.

KillianHawkeye
2014-02-02, 08:50 AM
A rock that rolls? How novel! *insert many plays-on-words/generally punnage*

I guess it needn't bother putting any ranks into the Gather Moss skill, eh? :smallwink::smallamused:

Zweisteine
2014-02-02, 08:59 AM
I'd say give it a headband, a hat, and maybe a necklace (noclothig items because they would ruin the coolness f being a floating rock; it woulnd't be very visible under those). I'd make the rest of its items custom Ioun Stones.