PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wolf RPG and it's D&D Interactivity

Swordguy
2007-01-26, 05:01 PM
Essentially, looking at the Kai Lord class from Mongoose's Lone Wolf RPG, how unbalancing is it to drop that into a PHB and basic-x4 splatbook (Complete Warrior, Arcane, Divine, Adventurer) D&D game?

I've got a PC who's REALLY hankering for it.

I can drop the class stats up here, but it's long.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-01-26, 05:25 PM
I love Lone Wolf so much, but...the Kai Lord is basically a Paladin Psion Ranger, so I dunno.

The write-up is at the Mongoose website, at http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/kailord.pdf, so people who know more about balance than I...have at it.

Swordguy
2007-01-26, 06:03 PM
Yeah, it's a class that gets 1 feat-equivalent at 1st level, 2 at 2nd, and so on until 5th level, where they get 5 feat-equivalent abilities per level, plus psionics usable as a free action, plus monk saves and a cleric attack progression (and access to abilities that mimic PHB fighter-only feats).

I'm really not sure about it balance-wise, and wanted to get others opinions.

Caelestion
2007-01-26, 06:18 PM
Well, as August Hahn says, the Kai Lord in D&D is just a Paladin/Ranger/Psion, light on the Paladin and heavy on the other two. Play them as in D&D, but either don't give them feats or treat them as normal, but make them suffer a 10% or so XP penalty.

Thomas
2007-01-26, 06:22 PM
Way too much new game-specific rules to read there.

Play-test it. That's the only way to tell. Worst case scenario, he'll still be outdone by wizards and CoDzilla.

Swordguy
2007-01-26, 06:57 PM
Play-test it. That's the only way to tell. Worst case scenario, he'll still be outdone by wizards and CoDzilla.

Melee PCs with a Finger of Death ability at 5x a day or more (at 15th lvl). Yeesh.

Really, though. Saying it's balanced because CoDzilla isn't just fails logically.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-01-27, 03:10 AM
Well, as August Hahn says,

? Where'd that come from?

Caelestion
2007-01-27, 09:53 AM
August (the author) mentions it on pages 171-172, where he talks about converting LWd20 into standard D&D.

As an aside, in conversation with him, he said to me that he feels Kai Lords are actually Lawful Neutral in alignment, even though the serve the forces of Good. I would still restrict them to Lawful Good alignment only, just as with the paladin.