PDA

View Full Version : Prepared caster list on a 'normal' day

hymer
2014-02-02, 05:22 AM
So you were looking forward to a day at the library, the temple or out in the majestic wild, with nothing special planned. But you choose spells anyway, because you never know (and why shouldn't you?).
So, let me see, playgrounders, what is your complement of spells prepared on a 7th level of ability, 20 casting stat, prepared caster - of your choice. The idea is to pick spells for a day when you're not expecting adventure, but want to be ready for anything anyway.
Please note things that are important for understanding the choices, like domains for clerics, feats affecting your selection, gear assumed. etc. I hope to see things that are useful, but quirks of personality and flavour are even more welcome.

Here's my basic complement in a low-op group with no other actual spellcasters. It's a druid, if there was any doubt.

0: Detect magic x2, create water, cure minor, light
1: Entangle, endure elements*, faerie fire, magic fang, obscuring mist
2: Barkskin x2, blinding spittle, lesser restoration (I have a pearl of power for this level)
3: Blindsight, heart of water, protection from energy
4: Dispel magic, greater resistance*

* These spells are cast at day's beginning.

Revanmal
2014-02-02, 06:46 AM
A normal day loadout for my item-creation wizard, would depend a lot on what spells he'd need to do his work that day. The basics he'd prepare, though, would probably look like this:

0: Detect Magic, Read Magic, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand

1: Crafter's Fortune, Mage Armor, Elzak's Higher Learning (a lot of them)*

2: Make Whole, Rope Trick

3: Fly

4: Shadow Conjuration

*A custom spell he created for expediting research, it allows the caster to read non-magical books or other texts with a touch.

Ydaer Ca Noit
2014-02-02, 07:06 AM
There is a spell like that, its called scholars touch, races of destiny.
0 Create Water x2, Detect Magic, Light
1 Cure Light Wounds, Calm Animals, Entangle, Faerie Fire, Shillelagh, Speak With Animals
2 Animal Messenger, Gust of Wind, Warp Wood, Lesser Restoration
3 Quench, Neutralize Poison, Sleet Storm
4 Scrying, Dispel Magic

Revanmal
2014-02-02, 07:16 AM
There is a spell like that, its called scholars touch, races of destiny.

Yes, but I guess I should have specified that my wizard is from Pathfinder. I specifically asked my DM if I could have that spell, but she said no, so I used the spell creation rules to make his own version.

Eldariel
2014-02-02, 07:54 AM
As a Gray Elf Conjurer with Evo/Enc banned & Int 20:

ECL1:
1. Color Spray, Grease, Color Spray, Enlarge Person

ECL2:
As above + Mage Armor or open slot (depends on if I can expect the party to protect me)

ECL3:
1. Color Spray, Grease, Ray of Enfeeblement, Enlarge Person, Mage Armor
2. Pyrotechnics/Glitterdust, Web, Invisibility/Alter Self (if Alter Self is allowed; Pyro vs. Glitter I'd lean towards Glitter but mebbe prepare Pyro for stylepoints)

Something along those lines.

Lord Vukodlak
2014-02-02, 08:01 AM
Well my cleric Kain follows the greed, "Si vis pacem, para bellum" he'd likely keep the same spells he had prepared the last day he was adventuring. So buffs, debuffs, etc a few cure spells for emergencies(he's evil so preparing them is required). If he doesn't have a specific purpose in mind he's going to keep preparing the same spells he'd prepare if he was expecting adventuring.

KillianHawkeye
2014-02-02, 09:03 AM
I don't want to go digging for my character sheets right now, but my wizard characters tend to have a few different spell lists for various purposes depending on what they expect to be facing that day. For example, there might be a spell list for general adventuring (a well-rounded list with some offense, some defense, some control, and some utility), another list for dungeon exploration or heavy combat, and another list for stealth and infiltration, and possibly other lists for other purposes as needed.

So if I was just having a normal day in town, I would prepare my most general list of spells because that is what has the most options for different types of encounters.

Personally, I find that having to guess what spells I will need is one of the most interesting parts of playing a wizard or other prepared spellcaster. It's like a game within the game.

Palanan
2014-02-02, 04:49 PM
Here's a couple of characters from a long-running wilderness campaign. No one was remotely optimized in that party, and no promises about casting stats, but we had a lot of fun regardless.

First, here's a Rogue 2/Druid 3/Wizard 3, on the cusp of going Arcane Hierophant. Here's his spells for one of the days the party spent resting and hiding in a sheltered valley:

Druid:

0. Daze Animal, Purify Food & Drink, Detect Magic, Detect Poison
1. Speak With Animals, Entangle, Wood Wose
2. Resist Energy (Fire)

Wizard:

0. Handbolt, Mage Hand, Message, Ghost Sound
1. Magic Missile, Shield, Shocking Grasp, Comprehend Languages
2. Invisibility, Fireburst, See Invisibility

And here's a Cleric 7 of Mielikki:

0. Purify Food & Drink (x 3), Create Water, Detect Magic (x 2)
1. Shield of Faith, Entropic Shield, Light of Lunia, Lantern Light, Protection from Evil, Calm Animals (D)
2. Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Sunbolt (x 2), Hold Animal (D)
3. Prayer, Sound Lance, Hammer of Righteousness, Fly (D)
4. Know Vulnerabilities, Summon Nature's Ally IV (D)

Probably easy to tell she had the Animal and Travel Domains.