PDA

View Full Version : Wu Jen Jade Phoenix Mage

Misunderstood
2014-02-02, 06:19 AM
Hi playground I am trying to get a Wu Jen / JPM build figured out. The idea is to be an anthropomorphic bat using a reach weapon and flyby attack. This may not be optimal but I think it will be fun to play.

The build so far is: Wu Jen 6/initiator 1/JPM 2/Abjurant Champion 4/JPM +7

I haven't decided on whether to go Crusader or Warblade yet. This gets 9th level spells & 8th level maneuvers but doesn't get Emerald Immolation. The reason for this progression is because JPM nets a stance at 5th level and with this progression 6th level stances will be available.

My question is how do I survive the Transcend Mortality spell without emerald immolation. My first thought was arcane disciple: Spite to get Pact of Return. The problem with this though is that the only deity that grants spit is Cas who is NE which arcane disciple would require me to be and JPM requires a non-evil alignment.

So does the playground have any ideas around this?

Darrin
2014-02-02, 10:34 AM
I haven't decided on whether to go Crusader or Warblade yet. This gets 9th level spells & 8th level maneuvers but doesn't get Emerald Immolation. The reason for this progression is because JPM nets a stance at 5th level and with this progression 6th level stances will be available.

Can the stance wait until you can take Martial Stance at 18th level?

My question is how do I survive the Transcend Mortality spell without emerald immolation. My first thought was arcane disciple: Spite to get Pact of Return. The problem with this though is that the only deity that grants spit is Cas who is NE which arcane disciple would require me to be and JPM requires a non-evil alignment.

I thought there might be a work-around with Spell domain/greater anyspell, but no such luck. Wish can be used to cast pact of return, but well then... that's one of the less impressive things wish shenanigans can do.

Best I can come up with is the magic jar trick: transcend mortality in your borrowed body, go back to your original body (or your shadesteel golem ice assassin aleax body, if need be).

Misunderstood
2014-02-02, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the reply.

It's not so much getting a specific stance but it just seems a waste choosing a low level stance when I could get a higher one although I do like Aura of perfect order.

I do like the magic jar idea though, that may work. I think I might need to look into creating a custom item that casts pact of return once or twice a day. Never done that before though so best start reading.

Jeff the Green
2014-02-02, 02:16 PM
The Pact domain has death pact. It's not as good as pact of return but will do the trick. Contingent revivify will do it as well, though that's expensive. Extra Spell might do it. There's also the Ebon Phoenix Mage adaptation.

Misunderstood
2014-02-02, 03:22 PM
Yeah death pact would do it but that is also expensive. I did think of contingent revivify but that is 2 spells not on the Wu Jens list. I will have to see if extra spell will be allowed as that is the simplest answer. I hadn't thought of the ebon Phoenix Mage adaptation that might work as well. Certainly some ideas to work with thanks.

Keldrin
2014-02-02, 10:55 PM
Isn't that the whole point of a Wu-Jen JPM, pairing emerald immolation and transcend mortality?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-02-03, 07:15 PM
If you can replace 2 levels in one of those classes, say abjurant champion, with two levels in wyrm wizard you can simply add pact of return to your spell list. That way you don't have to worry about having a wisdom score of 17, to boot.

paperarmor
2014-02-03, 08:26 PM
Isn't that the whole point of a Wu-Jen JPM, pairing emerald immolation and transcend mortality?

that or using Body Outside Body and Emerald Immolation to give a buttload of explosions