PDA

View Full Version : If a Level 23 Barbarian could cast one arcane spell a day...

JW86
2014-02-02, 06:43 AM
So, my Orc Streetfighter Spirit Lion Barbarian 20/ Dungeoncrasher Fighter 2/ War Hulk 1 just dealt over 2,000 damage to a sentient magical artifact, destroying it utterly. In doing so he has attained Divine Rank 1 as well as the DM fiat ability to once per day, cast any arcane spell of any Level 1-9, as a 30th lever Caster.

Yeah, it's a pretty insane campaign. He's also an Adult Blue Dragon.

So, the build is of course an Ubercharger. Any specific spells anyone would recommend to augment that?

Schizek
2014-02-02, 06:52 AM
Shapechange.

Vaz
2014-02-02, 06:57 AM
That ^

letters

AWiz_Abroad
2014-02-02, 06:57 AM
Natively Arcane I agree with Shapechange

Arcane with shenanigans (Arcane Disciple) Miracle

Marnath
2014-02-02, 08:32 AM
So, my Orc Streetfighter Spirit Lion Barbarian 20/ Dungeoncrasher Fighter 2/ War Hulk 1 just dealt over 2,000 damage to a sentient magical artifact, destroying it utterly. In doing so he has attained Divine Rank 1 as well as the DM fiat ability to once per day, cast any arcane spell of any Level 1-9, as a 30th lever Caster.

Yeah, it's a pretty insane campaign. He's also an Adult Blue Dragon.

So, the build is of course an Ubercharger. Any specific spells anyone would recommend to augment that?

Is that in addition to or instead of the 27 at-will spell-like abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm#spellLikeAbilities) you get from the three domains you are able to grant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm#grantSpells)?

Chronos
2014-02-02, 08:33 AM
I was going to say Polymorph Any Object, but Shapechange works too.

Zweisteine
2014-02-02, 09:15 AM
Is this a spell-like ability, or actual casting? If it's an SLA, wish is the obvious choice.

Use your domains to get shapechange (animal domain). That's especially good, as your are a barbarian. Choose one of your alignment conponents, animal, and one more domain for all your SLA needs.

And I'd recommend Gift of Life as your salient divine ability if you're in a party, or the opposite (hand of death?) if solo. Gift of Life basically confers your immortality in combat to anyone you know.

Eldariel
2014-02-02, 10:01 AM
Shapechange is the best, no contest. It gives you a personally relevant ability (Barbarians can benefit of massive stat boosts and abilities as it happens) that also gives you access to basically all the magic you might want (through Supernatural abilities of various forms, e.g. Beholder, Nightmare, etc.). And it has no annoying components or limitations and you can get Wishes if it's that kind of a campaign (also, Aleax)

JW86
2014-02-03, 02:46 PM
Shapechange looks like a surefire one to use regularly. I havn't clarified with DM if it is a spell or spell-like ability. At CL 30 though, that's 5 hours a day of Shapechange goodness.

I'm compiling a list of all 25HD and under Monsters that would be worth shapechanging into. :D

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-03, 02:51 PM
If you have Cha 29 then take Alter Reality has your SDA and take Shapechange as your SLA. Enjoy your infinite wins.

Vaz
2014-02-03, 03:26 PM
Is this a spell-like ability, or actual casting? If it's an SLA, wish is the obvious choice.

Use your domains to get shapechange (animal domain). That's especially good, as your are a barbarian. Choose one of your alignment conponents, animal, and one more domain for all your SLA needs.

And I'd recommend Gift of Life as your salient divine ability if you're in a party, or the opposite (hand of death?) if solo. Gift of Life basically confers your immortality in combat to anyone you know.

Shapechange gets you the ability to take the form of a Zodar; which can Wish, which for his duration is 1150 wishes. Even without that abuse, the flexibility from Shapechange gets you the ability to Wish once if you need to; otherwise you can take the form of some monster for their useful abilities etc.

Artillery
2014-02-03, 03:43 PM
Well Shapechange is already taken. Persistent Wraithstrike is something that is nice but doesn't give more options, just better murdering.

Seerow
2014-02-03, 03:58 PM
Is that in addition to or instead of the 27 at-will spell-like abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm#spellLikeAbilities) you get from the three domains you are able to grant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm#grantSpells)?

Wow that's the first time I've actually bothered reading that section. Non-cleric deities get kind of screwed on those SLAs.

Scow2
2014-02-03, 04:02 PM
Wow that's the first time I've actually bothered reading that section. Non-cleric deities get kind of screwed on those SLAs.

How so? The non-cleric deities can grant spells in addition to the cleric ones.

Seerow
2014-02-03, 04:11 PM

Mostly the really low caster level (Particularly given these Deities all supposedly have around 50 hitdice).

Is it even possible to cast a 7th level spell with caster level 11?

Vaz
2014-02-03, 04:35 PM
Ur-Priests can.

winter92
2014-02-03, 06:27 PM
If the shapechange/get SU abilities line was banned, what would people recommend? I know this table doesn't sound likely to do so, but I've seen a number of people forbid those outright.

Disjunction and Celerity came to mind as good barbarian options, but they seems awfully low OP compared to the Shapechange and it's ilk.

Eldariel
2014-02-03, 06:34 PM
If the shapechange/get SU abilities line was banned, what would people recommend? I know this table doesn't sound likely to do so, but I've seen a number of people forbid those outright.

Disjunction and Celerity came to mind as good barbarian options, but they seems awfully low OP compared to the Shapechange and it's ilk.

Access to all abilities. Gate, Ice Assassin, Wish, Simulacrum, Greater Planar Binding, Polymorph Any Object in about that order of preference. You begin to significantly cut into your versatility after that. Problem is, for a Barbarian the only one that's really natural for his own function and kit is Shapechange and perhaps Wish; the rest are really roundabout abilities.

Isamu Dyson
2014-02-03, 06:46 PM
Ur-Priests can.

His priests?

Vaz
2014-02-03, 06:48 PM
http://static1.fjcdn.com/comments/4260958+_feee03ee3225f1b76545d450ba6b46bc.jpg

Meth In a Mine
2014-02-03, 11:02 PM
I'd take mind blank...

Venger
2014-02-03, 11:08 PM
Shapechange gets you the ability to take the form of a Zodar; which can Wish, which for his duration is 1150 wishes. Even without that abuse, the flexibility from Shapechange gets you the ability to Wish once if you need to; otherwise you can take the form of some monster for their useful abilities etc.

Zodars can only grant a wish 1/year.

but there are plenty of other monsters with wish.

Spuddles
2014-02-03, 11:34 PM
Zodars can only grant a wish 1/year.

but there are plenty of other monsters with wish.

Turn into a different zodar every round as a free action

beowulf_gr
2014-02-04, 03:20 AM

They can grant them but not benefit from spontaneously casting. Cleric deities basically become spontaneous casters while still knowing all the spells!!!

Socksy
2014-02-04, 11:27 AM
Wish. Then abuse of Permanency, Tenser's Transformation, or pretty much any other spell you need.