PDA

View Full Version : Celestial animal companion

deathwolf669
2014-02-02, 09:35 AM
Ok, I am going to be taking a dragonborn druid with VoP and taking the exalted animal companion feat, would it be OTT if I gave it the magebread and warbeast templates ontop?

I am looking at taking a brown bear as I might not be allowed a fleshraker.

Any other suggestions on companion set up?

EDIT: Also how does an AC level up and gain new feats?

Swaoeaeieu
2014-02-02, 10:01 AM
you can't give an animal companion magebread and warbeast. a animal companion is a normal animal unless you have feats that change them.

deathwolf669
2014-02-02, 10:04 AM
Fair enough, onto the Celestial animal companions, any suggestions other thn fleshraker and brown bear? It has been suggested that I take things from the frostburn book.

Also how would I level up a fleshraker to have VoP as well?

Urpriest
2014-02-02, 10:58 AM
Fair enough, onto the Celestial animal companions, any suggestions other thn fleshraker and brown bear? It has been suggested that I take things from the frostburn book.

What level companion do you have access to?

As for leveling up a fleshraker to have VoP...it's a feat, they just have to take the feat like a normal creature.

deathwolf669
2014-02-02, 11:12 AM
Well I am level 12 so I can take anything up to that.

Can you point me in the direction of where to read up on leveling them up as I think I missed it.

Urpriest
2014-02-02, 11:23 AM
Well I am level 12 so I can take anything up to that.

Can you point me in the direction of where to read up on leveling them up as I think I missed it.

I don't know what you mean by "leveling them up", so I can't answer that question. Animal Companions gain hit dice as you gain levels according to the table in the Druid class description, but presumably you've read that otherwise you wouldn't be playing this character.

If you don't know how to use that table, then you should probably read my Monster Handbook, link in sig, which covers the basics of how monster hit dice work.

Crake
2014-02-02, 11:27 AM

You'd probably get into the argument about whether animals (Who are always neutral due to lacking the intelligence to have moral alignments) can take exalted feats which require you to be the epitome of good if you try and get your fleshraker to have VoP.

Ignore me, celestial companion, duuuh

deathwolf669
2014-02-02, 11:43 AM
Ok, from what I have got from the MM page 291, my animal gains feats like a person but use HD not level, so a fleshraker starts with 4 HD, does this mean I can give him 2 feats at the start?

And with him being a -4 to my level I guess the advancement of the companion is counted at the level 6-8 level, so thats 8HD total, so 3 feats.

Urpriest, I will go and read your manual now :D

eggynack
2014-02-02, 11:50 AM
Well, technically speaking the fleshraker already has two feats from the four HD, which are improved natural attack and claw. You might be able to get your DM to let you swap those, possibly with retraining rules, but then again you might not. As is, you definitely have the 6th level feat to work with, and in a level you'll pick up the 9th level feat, and at that point VoP benefits will be yours. It's not as bad as it sounds, as exalted feats for companions are pretty bad, and you get the other stuff normally. If you want to get VoP faster, it may be worth picking up natural bond, which will get the fleshraker to 9-11 immediately.

deathwolf669
2014-02-02, 12:15 PM
I had forgotten about natural bond, damned cold is killing my head.

Oh and thinking about it would my fleshraker be able to take a class as they are int3?

eggynack
2014-02-02, 12:18 PM
Oh and thinking about it would my fleshraker be able to take a class as they are int3?
I don't think so, no. Their advancement is their advancement, exactly as it is defined. Their is some moderately interesting stuff that can be pulled off with an intelligent companion, most of which have already been defined and described, but those are all within the boundaries of the animal companion's preexisting limits.

deathwolf669
2014-02-02, 12:24 PM
Ah well, was worth asking.

Well now I have a level 11 fleshraker with VoP :D