PDA

View Full Version : Best first metamagic

Dalebert
2014-02-02, 09:57 AM
I'm planning to learn several metamagics but the ones I really like all have a prereq of some other metamagic. Right now I'm going with Extend but I'd rather just buy a rod for that (now that I can afford to) and retrain it. What do you folks think is a good starting metamagic feat for a beguiler / transmuter / ultimate magus who has given up enchantment and evocation on my wizard side? If it helps, my CL is going to stay pretty high via Master Spellthief. In case it isn't obvious, I'm favoring my wizard casting progression with beguiler casting secondary.

Also, any suggestions like "pick a different class" are just going to be frustrating because I'm already 8th level. It's not really a practical option to change at this point.

morkendi
2014-02-02, 10:07 AM
Invisible spell is nice for spell thief.

Dalebert
2014-02-02, 11:10 AM
Invisible spell is nice for spell thief.

Best first metamagic feat. I feel I have failed to communicate clearly.

Invisible Spell
Prerequisite: Any metamagic feat

nedz
2014-02-02, 11:16 AM
I'd normally go with Extend, but Silent Spell should be of use however you might be getting that free at Beguiler 5 ?

Still Spell is useful for getting out of Grapples etc.
Sudden Still Spell is another option, for the same reason.

Sudden Widen is a reasonable choice. You don't need to Widen spells very often because of Blue on Blue, and it's hard to predict which spell you need to use this on; also +3 spell levels is quite expensive.

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-02, 11:57 AM
Extend is by far my favorite. Good for support, for self-buffing, for pretty much anything. I'm not sure, but you may even get some interesting mileage from extended cantrips (can you metamagic cantrips? why don't I know this?).

The Sudden X brand of metamagic from Complete Arcane are decent, and good if you don't have lots of experience planning spells selection (or like the flexibility).

I think, um, depending on the campaign and alignments, Consecrate or Purify spell from BoED might be interesting choices. Can't recall off the top of my head, but I don't think they have pre-reqs. Mostly good for damaging spells, though.

Dalebert
2014-02-02, 11:59 AM
I'd normally go with Extend, but Silent Spell should be of use however you might be getting that free at Beguiler 5 ?

I don't get that as an ultimate magus; only spells known and spells per day. I'm going to consider that. I am realizing, however, that having extend is still useful at least until I can afford a rod that works on spells over 3rd level so I will have to think about that.

Still Spell is useful for getting out of Grapples etc.
Sudden Still Spell is another option, for the same reason.

That's a good suggestion though I will almost always have heart of water (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-mage--58/heart-of-water--879/) up for that potentiality so no need to use a feat for it.

Sudden Widen is a reasonable choice. You don't need to Widen spells very often because of Blue on Blue, and it's hard to predict which spell you need to use this on; also +3 spell levels is quite expensive.

That's another good suggestion. I'd be more inclined to (eventually) take sculpt spell though, which will often accomplish the same thing but cheaper.

This was a really helpful post actually. Gives me stuph to think about. Thank you. I seem to keep coming back to just keeping Extend but that's okay if it makes sense. Having both the rod and the feat are actually still beneficial when I think about all the 1 hour / lvl spells I have and having Versatile Spellcaster means I can often use left over spells at the end of the day that will last throughout the next day. My current CL is 11.

Maginomicon
2014-02-02, 12:13 PM
To be clear, here's a compete list of all "free" metamagic feats:

0th

Alternative Source Spell
Heighten Spell
Relicguard Spell
Sudden Enlarge
Sudden Extend

1st

Bend Spell
Blistering Spell
Coercive Spell
Deafening Spell
Deceptive Spell
Enlarge Spell
Extend Spell
Fell Energy Spell
Fell Weaken
Fiery Spell
Flash Frost Spell
Forceful Spell
Fortify Spell
Lingering Spell
Piercing Cold
Rapid Spell
Retributive Spell
Searing Spell
Silent Spell
Slimy Spell
Song of the Dead
Still Spell
Transdimensional Spell
Umbral Spell

2nd

Disrupting Spell
Earthbound Spell
Empower Spell
Explosive Spell
Fell Drain
Fell Frighten
Reach Spell

3rd

Guided Spell
Maximize Spell
Widen Spell

Captnq
2014-02-02, 12:27 PM
Everything I have to say on recommending Metamagic I put in the EVD
Check out my sig.

EVD/Spells/The Metamagic Feats v4.02.doc

It depends all on if your DM allows retraining. If he does, go with extend. If he doesn't, Fell Drain Sonic Snap is a great 2nd level spell that remains useful for most of your PC's life. Metamagic chain rod turns it into a great Anti-Spellcaster Debuff.

Dalebert
2014-02-02, 01:02 PM
It depends all on if your DM allows retraining. If he does, go with extend. If he doesn't, Fell Drain Sonic Snap is a great 2nd level spell that remains useful for most of your PC's life. Metamagic chain rod turns it into a great Anti-Spellcaster Debuff.

He does allow retraining. I can't cast evocation though. I went through a number of spells that I might put fell drain on and it seems not that great without evocation with it's area and multi-target spells at relatively low level.

HunterOfJello
2014-02-02, 01:45 PM
I always get Extend Spell and then never use it.

Dalebert
2014-02-02, 02:41 PM
Okay, this is sort of related so I'm going to use the same thread. On a cleric, I've got Extend and Divine MM as my two first level feats. I'm thinking of switching Extend for Sudden Extend and getting a MM rod of lesser Extend. That will leave me a 1st level feat free. Cleric was cloistered from 1 through 9 and is Seeker of the Misty Isle at 10th. Also, he drow if that matters. Any suggestions?

nedz
2014-02-02, 03:52 PM
How are you getting the 8 ranks of Survival ?

I'm not sure what you are asking ?

Dalebert
2014-02-02, 09:54 PM
How are you getting the 8 ranks of Survival ?

I'm not sure what you are asking ?

I got it by switching a domain to weather briefly but that's not what my question's about. I just no longer want Extend and Divine MM, the two feats I took at first level, so I'm planning to retrain them. I only mentioned it in case it might affect useful feats. I'm somewhat limited though. Obviously they have to be feats I would have qualified for at 1st.

I'm planning to get a MM Rod of Extend and maybe Sudden Extend for occasionally higher level spells than 3rd. That frees up a feat slot.

nedz
2014-02-02, 10:08 PM
Your question is still to open, sorry.

What are your other feats and (usual) domains ?

What are you trying to get this character to do ?

Invader
2014-02-02, 10:11 PM
I suppose like anything it really depends on what you're going to do with your build but as a general suggestion I'd also go with extend spell. It's cheap and at lower levels with rounds/lvl spells it makes a noticeable difference in effectiveness.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-02, 10:48 PM
Sanctum Spell can be useful for using 4th level spells with lesser metamagic rods and spell storing weapons.

Fell Drain Spell can be useful for spells that deal damage over several rounds, such as Kelgore's Grave Mist, Cloud of Knives, and Death Armor.

Fell Frighten Spell can be useful for spells that hit multiple targets and/or deal damage over several rounds, as above, since it will cause an escalated fear condition.

If you have the Dragonblood subtype (Silverbrow Human, Dragontouched, etc.), consider Practical Metamagic for Fell Drain or Fell Frighten to reduce its metamagic cost to +1 level.

Dalebert
2014-02-02, 10:57 PM
I didn't really have a build in mind when I made him so he's been developing organically. I seem to have gone in the direction of doing a lot of summoning so maybe I'll go Spell Focus conjuration and Augment Summoning. It's a shame it won't apply to the Summon Elemental feat which I just got.