PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone gotten their PS3 to play PSP games?

danzibr
2014-02-02, 10:36 AM
I hear it's possible, but seems shady. In particular, this thread (http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-run-psp-games-on-your-ps3.354182/) tells you how to do it. I'm leery because it's a slightly dated thread, and I'm just hesitant to mess with my PS3. I jailbroke my iPhone to switch it to PagePlus, but my PS3 is my PS3.

I'm not interesting in downloading stuff illegally. I just want to get a couple games off the PSN (paid for, of course) which are PSP-exclusive. It seems silly to buy a PSP and the cord just so that I can play PSP games on my PS3.

Hunter Noventa
2014-02-03, 01:36 PM
A quick look at that thread tells me you need custom firmware on your PS3, which is a dangerous thing to do to such an expensive console.

Really you could probably pick up a classic PSP relatively cheap and not risk bricking your PS3.

Airk
2014-02-03, 04:28 PM
A quick look at that thread tells me you need custom firmware on your PS3, which is a dangerous thing to do to such an expensive console.

Really you could probably pick up a classic PSP relatively cheap and not risk bricking your PS3.

Yeah, but then you'd have to play those games on a PSP. :P

danzibr
2014-02-03, 06:43 PM
Yeah, less than $60 after shipping for a PSP 2000. Is that the best one to get for playing games on a PS3? Actually, I'm not even sure I can use my PS3 to play PSP once I have a PSP. Everything I've read is the opposite direction, doing PS3 stuff on your PSP, and I have no interest in that.

Grinner
2014-02-03, 08:40 PM
The most important thing you can do is research. Find out everything you can. In particular, know what firmware version you're running, know what PS3 model you have, and find out what exploits exist for your console.

Most importantly, read everything twice before you even think of following any given guide.

This isn't the kind of thing you should do lightly. I've never bricked any of my consoles, but I've spent days just getting a grasp on how everything worked.

Ogremindes
2014-02-04, 03:56 AM
Yeah, but then you'd have to play those games on a PSP. :P
Doesn't one of the models have AV out?

Hunter Noventa
2014-02-04, 08:08 AM
Doesn't one of the models have AV out?

Yeah, the old PSP 2000s have an AV out that uses component video. I've used it before and it's very smooth.

The other option would be to hope they release the PS Vita TV in the US. Or import a Japanese one since the games are region-free anyway. Or not, since the Vita TV is region locked for some asinine reason, while the regular Vita and PSP aren't.