PDA

View Full Version : Playing a powerful homeless person

Graytemplar
2014-02-02, 01:05 PM
Hey playground, I recently had the idea to make an angry hermit/hobo, but I'm uncertain as to how many things can actually go into this build.

So far, I know of only three things that can contribute, the forsaker class, the fist of the forest class, and the vow of poverty feat.

So Ol' Homeless Joe currently gives up magic, society, and wealth, but I'm ok with adding to this list or potentially doubling up, i.e. another feat that requires one to avoid society.

So I have two questions, 1) Is there anything else that stacks with these/would contribute to this build? and 2) Is there any way to increase the flavor of such a character?

Kazuel
2014-02-02, 01:10 PM
Doesn't powerful homeless person describe nearly every PC?

Graytemplar
2014-02-02, 01:18 PM
Haha, you know what I mean.

Slipperychicken
2014-02-02, 01:27 PM
Joe could be a Druid, Sorcerer, or eidetic wizard. All with Eschew Materials, of course.

If it be flavor you seek, make the character before you set about making game statistics for him.

Graytemplar
2014-02-02, 01:34 PM
Honestly, I'm looking for anything that contributes to the hobo aspect before carving the character in stone. I'm looking for anything that gives up societal norms, be it through fluff or crunch.

For example, in my mind's eye, he was going to be an "urban" hobo, but then I remembered fist of the forest and adapted the character accordingly.

The Trickster
2014-02-02, 01:39 PM
Monk/FotForest/druid with VoP maybe? That would give you a decently strong guy who can go kung-fu gorilla or something.

Callin
2014-02-02, 01:46 PM
Ardent wouldnt be a bad addition. Your conviction to traveling the world and living the chaotic freestyle life gives you the ability to shun the city and norms of civilization.

JusticeZero
2014-02-02, 01:48 PM
Could be just about anyone. Come up with the story of how they got to be homeless first, then use that for your build ideas.

Uncle Pine
2014-02-02, 01:49 PM
Two words: fast healing. I wouldn't usually list this as a priority, but with VoP banning healing from your magic items and Forsaker banning healing from any magic item or spell you'd end with a character that needs too much time to recover after a single encounter. Dragon Shaman 1 could add a least draconic flavour to the build and provide fast healing (but only up to half your fully normal hit points). The feral template (+1, Savage Species) also works, for a more "savage" hermit twist (pun intended :smallamused:). Do note that without racial hit dice you don't get any special attack from feral, but you do gain darkvision and fast healing. Applying the evolved undead template (+1) to a necropolitan nets you fast healing 3, a SLA from a pretty good list, some other things and you also get to play a creepy Good hermit (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CreepyGood).
Fast healing aside, if you'd like to have a pet take Wild Cohort (and while you're at it, think about a Hulking Hurler 2/Bloodstorm Blade 4 "dip" to be able to make good use of your pet in battle*).

EDIT: *Remember that in this case your pet benefits from Exalted Strike. +5 returning tiger? Sure :smallbiggrin:
EDIT_2: Related to fast healing: ability damage. Binding Naberius might be a good choice if you don't want to be smacked by any random spellcaster and/or manifester.

Graytemplar
2014-02-02, 02:05 PM
Monk/FotForest/druid with VoP maybe? That would give you a decently strong guy who can go kung-fu gorilla or something.

Well, I really like the flavor of forsaker for this character, and that includes hating magic, same problem with ardent.

Fast healing is a good point, but I think I will just slap on troll-blooded (possibly feral as well) as that seems to be the least magical option.

Uncle Pine
2014-02-02, 03:43 PM
Beware of sunlight if you take Troll Blooded. Or take Iron Heart Surge along with it.