PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Inquisitor Optimization--With or Without Intimidate?

genericwit
2014-02-02, 02:08 PM
So a lot of the builds I've seen for the Inquisitor in Pathfinder seem geared towards optimizing Intimidate, given they get a pretty awesome static bonus to (1/2 their level). However, even at the best of times, it seems like a lot of work to go through just to give enemies the shaken condition (given that you can't fear stack as efficiently in Pathfinder). So, to this end I'm thinking about how to best optimize my Inquisitor (I'm a primary damage dealer as well as scout/tracker and interrogator). I'm looking for help rounding out the latter levels of my build, which is expected to get to 16 (Rise of the Rune Lords).

Here's my feats so far:

Human Inquisitor (race is non-negotiable, we've already started, and I'm at level 2, and I prefer the flexibility of extra spells known to the Half-Orc's boosted Intimidate regardless of build focus)

1 Weapon Proficiency (Greatsword)
1 Stealthy (Retrain to Weapon Focus at level 3 or 4)
3 Power Attack
3 Teamwork: Precise Strike
5 Boon Companion (I've chosen the Feather domain to have a flanking buddy)
6 Teamwork: Outflank
7 Extended Bane (considering retraining at higher levels)
9 ??? Thinking Cornugon Smash, Share Judgment, Toughness
9 Teamwork: Stealth Synergy
11 ??? Maybe Intimidating Prowess? or Improved Monster Lore
12 Teamwork Feat: Shake it Off or Lookout
13 ??? Again, if going for the intimidate route, probably Dazzling Display
15 Either Shatter Defenses (for synergy with cornugon smash/intimidating prowess) or Exploit Lore (for an extra +2 to attack and hit)
15 Teamwork: Coordinated Charge

Share Judgment is a pretty good ally buffing spell, at the expense of my character's power (potentially useful for giving pet or the party fighter the ability to pierce DR or boosting Attack/Damage/AC), Exploit Lore and Improved Monster Lore works off another of the inquisitor's strengths (textbook knowledge!), Toughness helps out with squishy-ness, and the Cornugon Smash/Intimidating Prowess/Dazzling Display/Shatter Defenses line lets me reliably make enemies flatfooted (only against me) with the use of power attack. I've also thought about picking up some critical feats, but given the medium BAB the Inquisitor has I'd only be able to pick up Bleeding Critical OR Sickening Critical (neither of which are terrible) and I'd have to retrain my Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus to falchion from greatsword to really maximize (which would merely take 10 days in game, but given the nature of our campaign I'm not sure I'll have that luxury).

Here's the spells I'm thinking about taking (obviously, there's some intimidate synergy with these spells, but I'm mostly going for self/teamwork buffs and some utility spells):

Orsions
1 Detect Magic, Create Water, Daze, Resistance
2 Stabilize
3 Guidance

1 Shield of Faith, Divine Favor
2 Magic Weapon Replace at 5: Haze of Dreams
3 Expeditious Retreat
4 Favored Class Remove Fear
5 Favored Class Ear Piercing Scream
7 Disguise Self
11 Wrath

4 Invisibility, Flames of the Faithful
5 Resist Energy
6 Acute Senses
7 Favored Class See Invisibility
9 Favored Class Blistering Invective
10 Silence
14 Knock

7 (2) Magic Circle Against Evil, Dispel Magic
8 (1) Heroism
9 (1) Countless Eyes
10 (Favored Class) (1) Arcane Sight
11 (Favored Class): Coordinated Effort
13 (1) Invisibility Purge

10 (2) Divine Power, Greater Invisibility
11 (1) Battlemind Link
12 (1) Freedom of Movement
13 (Favored Class): Deathward

13 (2) Righteous Might, Break Enchantment
14 (1) Resounding Blow
15 (1) Greater Forbid Action

16 (2) Greater Dispel Magic, Heal

Skills-wise, I'm keeping stealth, perception, sense motive, survival, and intimidate maxed, putting class skill activators in climb, swim, and disguise, and splitting the rest of the points between Kn dungeoneering, arcana, religion, planes, and nature.

Thoughts?

genericwit
2014-02-04, 06:40 PM
Bueller? Bueller?

NightbringerGGZ
2014-02-04, 07:20 PM
Is your Deity negotiable? You can get Greatsword Proficiency by following Gorum (CN) or Smiad (LG). Personally I wouldn't go with the Feather domain, the available companions are really squishy. If that's a must, how about following Lamashtu and using a Falchion?

Many Inquisitor builds go for an Intimidate focus because the class kinda sends you there. I agree that you don't have to go with an Orc or Tiefling actually. Assuming you retrain your first level feats, how about this build?

1: Weapon Focus (Greatsword or Falchion), Power Attack
3: Furious Focus, Precise Strike
5: Boon Companion or Dazzling Display
6: Outflank
7: Cornugon Smash

That's a basic setup for smashing hard and getting easy Intimidate checks. Dazzling Display for an AOE and Cornugon Smash for an automatic check on every attack.

While you can't stack Intimidate checks for more severe penalties, you can stack the check along with a spell. They can make for a nice combo.

Really though, so long as you have a 2-hander, Power Attack and Furious Focus the rest of your build doesn't matter that much. Spell selection and Judgement usage will carry you through most fights.

Bigbeefie
2014-02-04, 08:05 PM
Can't take powerpower attack at 1 he has a +0 BaB.

watchwood
2014-02-04, 08:11 PM
Hence why he said retraining.

VexingFool
2014-02-05, 01:40 AM
I would not take Dazzling Display on an Inquisitor(or a bard). Blistering Invective is far more effective. Standard action vs Full-round action. D10 damage plus a chance to set people on fire.

Edit-
Forgot the downside of Blistering Invective that it is language dependant. Still don't think I would take Dazzling Display but it would depend on the campaign and my build. Campaign Spoiler below:

If you are playing in a RotRL campaign take Giant as one of your languages or pick it up with a rank in linguistics later and that will cover 90% of the monsters.

genericwit
2014-02-05, 01:49 PM
I would not take Dazzling Display on an Inquisitor(or a bard). Blistering Invective is far more effective. Standard action vs Full-round action. D10 damage plus a chance to set people on fire.

Edit-
Forgot the downside of Blistering Invective that it is language dependant. Still don't think I would take Dazzling Display but it would depend on the campaign and my build. Campaign Spoiler below:

If you are playing in a RotRL campaign take Giant as one of your languages or pick it up with a rank in linguistics later and that will cover 90% of the monsters.

Dazzling Display opens up Shatter Defenses, which makes any enemy I intimidate flat footed against me.

Bigbeefie
2014-02-05, 02:14 PM
Dazzling Display opens up Shatter Defenses, which makes any enemy I intimidate flat footed against me.

Depending on what you are fighting depends if Flat footed means anything. Sometimes it does and other times that just decreases the AC by 1 and you wasted a feat chain. I recommend finding out what you will be fighting before you commit to a 2+ feat chain.

watchwood
2014-02-05, 03:30 PM
Depending on what you are fighting depends if Flat footed means anything. Sometimes it does and other times that just decreases the AC by 1 and you wasted a feat chain. I recommend finding out what you will be fighting before you commit to a 2+ feat chain.

If you're playing a Rogue (or anything else with sneak attack) it's fantastic. Being able to flatfoot your opponents reliably and at will is great, especially when so few things in pathfinder are immune to Sneak Attacks.

Hytheter
2014-02-05, 09:27 PM
Blistering Invective

Oh my god why have I not heard of this spell, it's hilarious.

grarrrg
2014-02-05, 11:23 PM
For Non-Intimidate: Infiltrator (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/archetypes/paizo---inquisitor-archetypes/infiltrator) Archetype. It adds your WIS to Bluff and Diplomacy. Combine this with the Conversion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/archetypes/paizo---inquisitor-archetypes/inquisitions/conversion-inquisition) Inquisition and you can make a very nice Party Face.

For Intimidate: Thug archetype for Rogue. Just 1 level either increases the duration of Shaken, or potentially gives you the option to 'cash in' for 1 round of Frightened (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/thug).