PDA

View Full Version : Sanity scores, Psionics, and v3.5

Socksy
2014-02-02, 03:58 PM
Okay, I found a web page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm) explaining Sanity scores, and I really want to use them, but everything seemed rather weird and left up to the DM's interpretation.

I have a few questions about it in a regular, Cthulu-free d&d campaign (and I encourage other people to pose their own so I can learn more):

Firstly, there are rules for magic and SAN loss. What about Psionics, in a campaign where they are completely unrelated to magic (and an ancient and long-forgotten form of knowledge)? Invocations? Is taint related? I'm not even sure how that works anyway.

Secondly, are there healing spells ("Cure Light Insanity"??) that would fix it, since it seems to be like mental HP, for want of a better term. It was left rather open to interpretation, and I'm not sure whether to come up with new spells, use the list there, or what.

Thirdly, how would the Alienist class work, and what would happen if an Alienist hit 0/-10 SAN?

Lastly, it states that seeing aberrations causes SAN loss. How would this apply to Elans, or anything else that is either human-but-not-quite, or in disguise?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-02-02, 04:28 PM
The sanity system is, as you've noticed, quite DM dependent. Questions 1 and 3 can only be answered by a DM. That's just all there is to it.

Question 2 is answered in the rules you've linked. Sanity can be healed by certain higher level healing magics, like restoration or heal, though the effects are limited. Permanent SAN loss takes a pretty serious amount of time to heal in most cases, barring the highest level of magic; wish and miracle.

There is one bit at the end of question 1 I can answer; taint is an entirely separate system and any interaction between taint and sanity is up to the DM.

One thing about sanity that bares mentioning; it was drawn from a game with a cosmic horror theme. As such, it's designed invoke a certain ..... "we're completely screwed" vibe.

Mathematically speaking, the more you lose, the easier it becomes to lose more. It was -designed- with the idea that doing anything other than actively avoiding things that cause SAN damage would leave you permanently mind-broken in no time at all. Even actively avoiding SAN loss doesn't really save you if you adventure long enough. Watching the party go mad during the course of a campaign is part of the fun of using these rules. Embrace that or avoid using them.

Socksy
2014-02-02, 04:33 PM
I'm currently DMing. I just need some advice on using the rules for the first time oAo

Slipperychicken
2014-02-02, 05:03 PM
Secondly, are there healing spells ("Cure Light Insanity"??) that would fix it, since it seems to be like mental HP, for want of a better term. It was left rather open to interpretation, and I'm not sure whether to come up with new spells, use the list there, or what.

The spell Heart's Ease (Cleric 3, Pleasure, Beloved of Valarian 3) from BoVD cures insanity. It also heals some Wisdom damage, which might translate into sanity gains?

Lastly, it states that seeing aberrations causes SAN loss. How would this apply to Elans, or anything else that is either human-but-not-quite, or in disguise?

I think you should treat those guys like [minor spoiler] Wilbur Whately from The Dunwich Horror (http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/dh.aspx). People might notice there's something wrong with the guy, but it's not brain-bending unless you see its true form. Maybe people take the normal SAN damage if they succeed a spot check against the disguise and realize its true nature?

Also, there's this line from the sanity rules, which I think you could apply to human-shaped aberrations too.

Only animals or humanoids of truly bizarre or ferocious appearance force such a check.

Socksy
2014-02-02, 05:34 PM
Thank you guys! c:
(: :)(: :)(: :)(: :)

Fax Celestis
2014-02-02, 06:18 PM
IIRC, Heroes of Horror has expanded insanity and taint rules.