PDA

View Full Version : Things you can break with Guidance of the Avatar

gawwy
2014-02-02, 05:03 PM
Hi Guys,

Guidance of the Avatar (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) provides a +20 to a skill check

assuming it takes a STANDARD ACTION to cast (not the vague 1 action in the spell description) what awesome things can you do with it?

Ill go first:

iaijutsu focus (http://dndtools.eu/skills/iaijutsu-focus/)
get a minimum of +3d6 (max +7d6) to an attacks damage against a flat footed opponent for a single skill point and a second level spell.

for giggles combine with a rogue 3/cleric x with sacred outlaw to attach some sneak attack dice as well.

Flickerdart
2014-02-02, 05:08 PM
(not the vague 1 action in the spell description)
Nothing vague about it: it's a 3.0 spell. What used to be called "your action" is in 3.5 a standard action (except in a few places where they forgot to change it and things got a little silly).

DarkSonic1337
2014-02-02, 05:18 PM
You're thinking too small.

Try it out on an eternal wand (or several) for Incantatrix. +20 to your spellcraft check on a class that ADDS METAMAGIC to ongoing spell effects via spellcraft checks.

I guarantee someone is going to come in here and top this, I just wanted to raise the bar above "use skill check to add damage" <_<

HaikenEdge
2014-02-02, 05:21 PM
Jumplomancer?

Slipperychicken
2014-02-02, 05:32 PM
It'll make your Diplomancy a little easier.

Cast it on your Bard when he has Glibness up, so he can annihilate one of those Bluff checks even harder. Even the gods are going to have a tough time passing Sense Motive DC= [1d20+Bard's bluff score +50]. For example: Boccob only has Sense Motive +59, Pelor has +55, and Vecna has +51.

Use it with the BoVD Sacrifice rules to get your free wish easier.

Zanos
2014-02-02, 05:35 PM
Greater insightful strike deals damage equal to your concentration check*2, so Guidance will give you +40 damage on it.

Not broken, but a nice trick.

gawwy
2014-02-02, 05:50 PM
Greater insightful strike deals damage equal to your concentration check*2, so Guidance will give you +40 damage on it.

Not broken, but a nice trick.

Nice I like it. i see a cleric/sword sage build in my future. :)
Question would this damage multiply on a crit?

Cast it on your Bard...

ok yes successfully bluff gods at ECL7? this.. this is yes.

Incantrix shenanigans
Im so very glad the PC that was going to play a wizard in the group i dm for has decided to go direct damage sorc instead. so very very glad.

ok i have a new one to add.

take levels in craft alchemy to get (if you take 10) a check of 36 at EL3. Im sure there's some broken stuff you can do with that.

hell make a command word custom magic item of it and replace the party skill monkey with 1 point in each skill.

Telonius
2014-02-02, 05:53 PM
If you stack it on top of ShneekeytheLost's "Takahashi no Onisan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153726)" Samurai build, you'd get some truly absurd (as opposed to merely ridiculous) Intimidate checks. (It would be at an additional +16 than the listed figure, since the competence bonus overlaps with Examplar's competence bonus).

Slipperychicken
2014-02-02, 06:00 PM
ok yes successfully bluff gods at ECL7? this.. this is yes.

Im so very glad the PC that was going to play a wizard in the group i dm for has decided to go direct damage sorc instead. so very very glad.

Greater deities get auto-20s on skill checks, so your Bard's normal modifier + 1d20 needs to beat [god's modifier+20]. So technically speaking, you need to score Bluff DC 80 to pull one over on Boccob, but we were going for that anyway.

gawwy
2014-02-02, 06:00 PM
If you stack it on top of ShneekeytheLost's "Takahashi no Onisan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153726)" Samurai build, you'd get some truly absurd (as opposed to merely ridiculous) Intimidate checks. (It would be at an additional +16 than the listed figure, since the competence bonus overlaps with Examplar's competence bonus).

Huh small world i was literally looking at that build 5 minutes ago...

i really need to make some form of ninja samurai with a dash of cleric and fluff guidance of the avatar as a "let god guide my blade".

now if only we could use a skill to boost to hit.

Greater deities get auto-20s on skill checks, so your Bard's normal modifier + 1d20 needs to beat [god's modifier+20]. So technically speaking, you need to score Bluff DC 80 to pull one over on Boccob, but we were going for that anyway.

ok lets do this.

ECL7

10 points in bluff +5 (20 cha)+ 30 untyped (Glibness) + 20 Competency (GoA) + 2 Circumstance (masterwork tool) = 67 base (and thats fairly un-optimized)

need another 13 hmmmm

Darrin
2014-02-02, 06:56 PM
How about 3.5 trillion damage over a 17-mile radius (www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15634823&postcount=19)?

Slipperychicken
2014-02-02, 07:10 PM
How about 3.5 trillion damage over a 17-mile radius (www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15634823&postcount=19)?

That's rather misleading. It's more accurate to say 10d6 damage to each creature within a 17 mile radius.

Also.. apparently Apocalypse From the Sky is actually 10 miles per level?? It's in the dndtools website. Was there an errata I missed? If it's true, that should make it 170 mile radius at minimum.

gawwy
2014-02-02, 07:30 PM
on a related-but-not-really-on-topic-but-i-dont-want-to-make-another-thread topic a Command activated ring of GoA costs 9000gp (compared to 400000 for a custom item of +20 to ONE skill).

This would allow you to activate it as a standard action and basically auto win as a skill monkey.

Questions:

1. could you activate it multiple times and stack discharges of it so that you can trigger the +20 to multiple skill checks per turn. e.g. activate twice and the use Greater Insightful Strike and ijitsu focus together.

2. how would a permanent or continuous item of this work?

Darrin
2014-02-02, 07:37 PM
That's rather misleading. It's more accurate to say 10d6 damage to each creature within a 17 mile radius.

Also.. apparently Apocalypse From the Sky is actually 10 miles per level?? It's in the dndtools website. Was there an errata I missed? If it's true, that should make it 170 mile radius at minimum.

Sorry, yes. 170-mile radius. I forgot the exact range. And it's every creature or object. I think I assumed an average of one creature or object in every 5' square in a 170-mile radius circle (rather than a three-dimensional sphere or hemisphere). Depending on how you count "objects", the damage could be obscenely higher.

Does the Omniscifier build use guidance of the avatar?

gawwy
2014-02-02, 07:53 PM
Does the Omniscifier build use guidance of the avatar?

no the omnificer uses an infinite damage loop alongside machoism to grant +infinite to all skills.

TBH any cool skill trick that either benefits greatly from getting a big boost early on would be appreciated.

i like the idea of a fear build so you can just boo at people. also handle animal to tame stuff could be abused nicely.

i would really like to find a way to use a skill to boost save dcs of spells but haven't found anything yet.

hell i should have called this 101 uses for GoA

AnonymousPepper
2014-02-02, 08:00 PM
Short answer: literally everything.

gawwy
2014-02-02, 08:17 PM
Short answer: literally everything.

hmm although we could get more specific in as to how to do each thing.

ill make up a list of things you can do and how to do them with GoA in a x stat to y bonus sort of way.

e.g.
Concentration to damage : (Greater) insightful strike : devoted mind maneuver.
Concentration to will save : i think its moment of perfect mind?

ect ect.

ill make a proper list and format it nicely when i get home. possibly put it in the OP and give credits :)

AnonymousPepper
2014-02-02, 08:53 PM
I do mean literally everything, though. As a level 1 cleric you can use a scroll of it to easily ace a Knowledge Planes check to summon Pazuzu, and we all know how that works.

gawwy
2014-02-02, 09:02 PM
yea but my dms have this thing of gods and higher beings being.. well... vengefull.

so i should probably put in stipulations like without resorting to summoning a literal god.

things that can see actual use in play.

E.G. that GoA - Insightful Strike Combo. Sounds amazing as a boss move has a charge up and everything. good fluff for a cleric asking for help from his deity too.

and if the players were to do something like that to me. well thatd be amazing too. :D

You better believe my PCs are going up against a pair of charge up sword-sage/clerics using that. or better yet a crusader with white raven tactics and a sword-sage with the combo.

On the other hand if one of my players were to be all like i summon Pazuzu and become Pun-Pun books would be thrown. of course i would expect the same in return.