PDA

View Full Version : Shrink Collar, have I got this right?

deathwolf669
2014-02-02, 06:48 PM
Have I read this right, if I give the shrink collar (Arms and Equipment Guide p80) to an animal companion dire tortoise I could end up with a small,14HD small animal, that has an AC of 25 (or would this change to 28 due to being small?) beasty plodding around by my feet?

I am guessing it would be dropped to 6' long rather than 6' high, and would it be able to pull anything with its strength or would its weight of only 60lb cause it to just kick dirt backwards?

Have I just come across a really evil minion to start a level 12 druid off with or has this been discussed before and everyone thinks its a silly idea?

eggynack
2014-02-02, 07:00 PM
I don't see why this wouldn't work. I dunno what good it does, but there's probably something you can do with a small friend who's never surprised.

Rubik
2014-02-02, 07:10 PM
Basically, the dire tortoise keeps everything it had except modifiers based on its size category (such as bonuses and penalties to Hide, AC, space and reach, and carrying capacity). It keeps its ability scores (instead of taking the modifiers for changing size presented in the back of the Monster Manual), natural armor, and so on

deathwolf669
2014-02-02, 07:29 PM
eggynack, a dire tortoise is a bit huge to go dungeon crawling, a small one can come play in the dungeons :D

To the monster manual :D

eggynack
2014-02-02, 07:31 PM
eggynack, a dire tortoise is a bit huge to go dungeon crawling, a small one can come play in the dungeons :D

Sounds reasonable enough then. Dire tortoises are rather neat, as things in existence go.