PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get into Streetfighter prestige at level 6

justiceforall
2014-02-02, 06:54 PM
Hello playground,

A fellow player in my group is trying to get into the Streetfighter prestige at the minimum level, but is struggling with the skill requirements. Can anyone suggest a way (ideally multiples) that gets there so he can take it at 6th that doesn't require him to take a level of Duskblade?

Group doesn't use UA, ToB/MoI/etc, psionics, and the player himself doesn't want to use FR or Eberron since we're playing a homebrew world.

His character is currently a Swashbuckler who just hit level 2 and hasn't levelled yet.

A.A.King
2014-02-02, 07:04 PM
When you say no "UA" does that also include not the UA things which are on the SRD? Because if it can be on the SRD, I would suggest Thug (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighterVariantThug)

justiceforall
2014-02-02, 07:05 PM
No UA period, SRD included.

A.A.King
2014-02-02, 07:32 PM
There is one simple solution that doesn't require any dipping. It works only if he is a human (otherwise he would still have to dip one level of fighter for the bonus feat) and he is allowed to retrain feats:

Apprentice is a feat from DMGII which you are only allowed to take at first level, (so he would need to be allowed to retrain one of his first level feats to be able to get it) One of its effects is that it grants you two extra class skills, which depend on the the type of apprentice you become. Your fellow player needs to get Intimidate and Knowledge (Local) as class skills to qualify for Street fighter and they are both granted by the Apprentice (Soldier)

justiceforall
2014-02-02, 07:52 PM
Knowing the preferences of the player in question, I think that feat sounds pretty much perfect.

I've forwarded it on, see what he says.

Never read the DMG II, never seen that feat before!

Irk
2014-02-02, 07:55 PM
Why not take a level of factotum? it synergies well with swashbuckler and grants all skills as class skills.

justiceforall
2014-02-02, 08:10 PM
It delays entry to the prestige class. No dice.

Irk
2014-02-02, 08:25 PM
It delays entry to the prestige class. No dice.

fair enough. How about collector of stories + knowledge devotion and then Martial Study (Sapphire nightmare blade)? Retrain for knowledge devotion at first and snag martial study at 3.

justiceforall
2014-02-02, 09:06 PM
From original post:

Group doesn't use UA, ToB

Also Knowledge Devotion:

Prerequisite

Knowledge (any) 5 ranks,

Prereq prevents the retrain.

prufock
2014-02-03, 12:44 AM
Intimidate should be easy by dipping; plenty of full BAB classes get it - Hexblade, Barbarian, Fighter, etc. Try here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6832.0) for other ways of getting class skills.

Knowledge (local):

Apprentice (philosopher)
Apprentice (soldier) - also gives you intimidate! no dip required.
Apprentice (spellcaster)
City Slicker
Dragontouched + Draconic Heritage (Emerald Dragon)
If you can't take emerald dragon (because it's psionic), take Draconic Knowledge (requires Draconic Heritage)

Vanitas
2014-02-03, 02:31 AM
Apprentice (Soldier) looks like a good idea, but then you have 3 feats locked in. Unless he is a human, he can't get those until level 5. You could dip Fighter for more feats but then you could just dip Duskblade anyway and get Knowledge as a class skill.

A human can take the 3 feats needed (Apprentice (soldier), Combat Expertise, Improved Feint) by level 3 regardless of class. However, a Swashbuckler with those feats and nothing more is going to be pretty weak.

You mentioned a Duskblade dip and I think that would be the best course of action. There is synergy between both classes (light armor, Intelligence) and Arcane Channeling might make Improved Feint more useful. There is an ACF for Swashbuckler in Complete Mage that adds a spell-like ability instead of Grace (and Grace pretty much sucks). I'd do that, Swash 3/Duskblade 3 using a feat to get Intimidate. But I understand wanting to get into a prc as fast as possible, specially playing from level 1. I'd recommend Swash 3/Fighter 2, then - use as many ACFs for Fighter as you can (Drow Fighter for +Dex to damage when flanking, Zhent Fighter for freebies, etc).

It's a shame that ToB is not available, though. :smallfrown:

justiceforall
2014-02-03, 05:31 AM
Our current group is so low OP it's unlikely to be an issue.

prufock
2014-02-03, 07:39 AM
Yeah, it won't be an optimized build, but should be serviceable at low levels, fine in a low-op group. Chain shirt, 18 dex, dodge bonus at level 5 (though you'd be much better off multiclassing after 3), and a masterwork buckler puts you at AC 20 very easily, and there are enough ways to boost it to still be viable at those levels. You want good dex and int. Move + attack or feint + attack, using Combat Expertise if appropriate, perhaps even combining with fighting defensively (get 5 ranks in tumble for -4 attack/+3 hit tradeoff).

Your damage won't be really high, but if your int score is good, it can be decent. Dipping factotum or rogue (with Daring Outlaw) at some point is a good idea.