PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Beard Rings

Thurbane
2014-02-02, 07:32 PM
Just a quick non-RAW question.

If I was to have a custom magic item that are Dwarven Beard Rings of Protection (exactly as Ring of Protection, but they only function for Dwarves, and they are worn plaited into the beard instead of on a finger), what body slot should they use?

I'm thinking either Face, or slotless. Thoughts?

P.S. I am the DM, so no "ask the DM" please. :smallwink:

Cheers - T

Draken
2014-02-02, 07:36 PM
Just a quick non-RAW question.

If I was to have a custom magic item that are Dwarven Beard Rings of Protection (exactly as Ring of Protection, but they only function for Dwarves, and they are worn plaited into the beard instead of on a finger), what body slot should they use?

I'm thinking either Face, or slotless. Thoughts?

P.S. I am the DM, so no "ask the DM" please. :smallwink:

Cheers - T

Neck would also be an option. Face or neck if you keep the same value as a normal ring of protection. A higher cost if you make it "Dwarf Only Special Unique Slot".

Akolbi
2014-02-02, 07:37 PM
I think you need to decide which is more important, balance or believability.

the face slot is more balanced, as it prevents the character from obsoleting rings of protection, as they now have to choose the slot that said effect occupies.

on the other hand. if i have a mask, it would seem odd that it affects my beard.

alternativly, create a 'beard' slot, and see what your players say:smallwink:

Rev666
2014-02-02, 07:58 PM
I'd say it counts as the neck slot. Imagine having a long beard. Now imagine something tied into that beard; it's gonna rest roughly in the middle of your chest where a pendant or necklace would rest.

Invader
2014-02-02, 08:01 PM
I'm gonna vote for the neck slot as well. Seems the most logical.

Fax Celestis
2014-02-02, 08:03 PM
What you're describi is basically a hand of glory, no?

Gnome Alone
2014-02-02, 08:14 PM

Which takes up the neck slot, right? Also, I don't know how I never noticed before just now that "hand of glory" sounds vaguely dirty.

Firechanter
2014-02-02, 08:29 PM
Which takes up the neck slot, right? Also, I don't know how I never noticed before just now that "hand of glory" sounds vaguely dirty.

A revelation that is all the more hilarious looking at your Avatar. =D

Nihilarian
2014-02-02, 09:03 PM
Obviously you must refluff the Hand of Glory and call it the Beard of Glory. It's the only logical solution.

Thurbane
2014-02-02, 09:10 PM
Yep, neck slot makes most sense.

Hand of Glory comes from an old historical legend/superstition. It's powers are somewhat different than the D&D version...

Haldir
2014-02-02, 09:10 PM
Regardless of how you rule it, I just want to say that it's a great idea.

nedz
2014-02-02, 09:13 PM
So the Dwarves should have to enchant their beards first ?

Kind of reminds me of the enchanted false beard wondrous item I made. :smallbiggrin:

Back on track: It's a Ring, so it takes up a finger slot — where ever it's worn.

Finger slot — exactly.

Thurbane
2014-02-02, 09:17 PM
No, I specifically want this NOT to be a finger ring. It functions as a Ring of Protection, but takes up a different slot.

Much the same way Nipple Clamp of Exquisite Pain and Flesh Ring of Scorn do not take up ring slots.

Darkweave31
2014-02-02, 09:26 PM
Alternatively, it remains a ring slot and now you can have two beard rings... one for each war braid!!! Take extra rings... FOR MORE BEARD RINGS!!!

But seriously I don't think it needs the slot changed, especially if they have the same function as a ring of protection. Rings can already be worn one on each hand or two on one so it seems like the location on the body is somewhat adaptable... Noserings, earrings, etc. for me would all fall under ring slot.

EDIT: Missed the last post. Base on this maybe: Amulet of Natural Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#amuletofNaturalArmor)

Fax Celestis
2014-02-02, 09:40 PM
So the Dwarves should have to enchant their beards first ?

Kind of reminds me of the enchanted false beard wondrous item I made. :smallbiggrin:

Back on track: It's a Ring, so it takes up a finger slot — where ever it's worn.

Finger slot — exactly.

Wait. Did you make the Beardforge?

Gnome Alone
2014-02-02, 09:40 PM
A revelation that is all the more hilarious looking at your Avatar. =D

I know, I should post tons of things expressing surprise all the time.

Hand of Glory comes from an old historical legend/superstition. It's powers are somewhat different than the D&D version...

So I looked it up, because of course I would.

Well. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_Glory)

<---See avatar.

Bullet06320
2014-02-02, 09:46 PM
im liking the beard slot for dwarves, seems so fitting
barring that, neck seems most appropiate

nedz
2014-02-02, 10:10 PM
Wait. Did you make the Beardforge?

Er, no.

What is the Beardforge ?

Fax Celestis
2014-02-02, 11:29 PM
A voter favorite item for RPG Superstar last year. I can't find it as I'm posting from my phone, but a quick google of "beardforge RPG superstar" should make it pop up rathe quickly.

nedz
2014-02-03, 05:52 AM
Hmm, I can find discussions about it — but not the thing itself.

Psyren
2014-02-03, 10:17 AM
Just make it slotless, then require it be worn on the beard to be active and give it an ad-hoc discount as a result.

Valwyn
2014-02-03, 10:29 AM
But what about dwarven women? Can they use the ring? They don't have a beard.

Do they? :smallconfused:

Edit: maybe they do (aegileif.deviantart.com/art/Alina-the-Dwarf-379803803?q=).

PaucaTerrorem
2014-02-03, 01:03 PM
Ask your DM