PDA

View Full Version : Can a non-human race get draconic subtype for 0 LA?

justiceforall
2014-02-03, 01:46 AM
Title says it all.

Trying to figure out if a monstrous humanoid can get draconic subtype without taking LAs.

I immediately looked at the Draconic Heritage feat, but you can't take it if you have racial hit dice.

Coidzor
2014-02-03, 02:09 AM
Not without feats, a template that has an LA, or homebrewing an equivalent to silverbrow humans and their ilk from Dragon Magic, no.

I immediately looked at the Draconic Heritage feat, but you can't take it if you have racial hit dice.

I don't see that in any of the versions I can find. :smallconfused:

Croix
2014-02-03, 02:22 AM
I don't see that in any of the versions I can find. :smallconfused:
He might have misremembered the 'Sorcerer level 1st' prerequisite as 'Character level 1' instead.

Coidzor
2014-02-03, 02:25 AM
He might have misremembered the 'Sorcerer level 1st' prerequisite as 'Character level 1' instead.

Ahh. Well, even so, the Dragontouched feat gives the Dragonblood subtype for a paltry Charisma score of 11 or better, no Sorcerer necessary.

Mithril Leaf
2014-02-03, 02:30 AM
If you actually mean the Dragonblood subtype, then consider the fact that Dragonborn can be applied to any race.

bekeleven
2014-02-03, 03:02 AM
If you actually mean the Dragonblood subtype, then consider the fact that Dragonborn can be applied to any race.

Yep. RotD contradicts itself once or twice when discussing it, but it was sorted out in a Sage entry. I can dig up the links if you need me, but the short version is, exactly how it sounds.

justiceforall
2014-02-03, 05:27 AM
The Dragontouched feat will unlock the heritage tree from 1st level for any character?

prufock
2014-02-03, 07:13 AM
The Dragontouched feat will unlock the heritage tree from 1st level for any character?

Basically. You count as sorcerer 1 for the draconic feats that require it. You also get some minor skill and save bonuses.

Chronos
2014-02-03, 09:48 AM
Basically. You count as sorcerer 1 for the draconic feats that require it.
Which isn't as useful as it sounds, since most draconic feats are based on casting spells.

justiceforall
2014-02-03, 06:53 PM
I'm aware of the optimisation limitations.

Thanks for the solution guys.

Darrin
2014-02-03, 09:18 PM
If you need the actual Draconic template instead of just the Dragonblood subtype, then the Dragon Devotee PrC grants the template with 5 not-entirely-terrible class levels.

justiceforall
2014-02-03, 09:26 PM
I was looking to start the Draconic feat chain from level 1, so when the monstrous humanoid levels are done the character could go into sorcerer with a few feats already in place.

The idea is not optimised, its a concept character for the world the DM has built.