PDA

View Full Version : Item Familiar , invest spell slot, spell activation.

Kerilstrasz
2014-02-03, 03:03 AM
So.. my wizard is going to take "item familiar" feat next level.
Im thinking to use my Boccob's blessed Book as familiar..
I was thinking to invest a spell slot on it so it can either use the spell to protect itself or give it the ability to return to my wizard if they are separated.

the feat description sais that the master must tell the item when to use the ability, but since it is an intelligent item, i can instruct it (for example) to use the spell when certain criteria are met.

What i need from you..
What spell(s) can accomplice the following???
1. Protect it self
2. Come to master if separated.

Maginomicon
2014-02-03, 05:18 AM
Dimension Leap (Magic of Eberron page 95) will do both of those things. The main problem is that the spellcasting abilities of item familiars are vaguely written. If your GM will allow you to put Dimension Leap in your item familiar, go for it.

Kerilstrasz
2014-02-03, 10:57 AM
after talking with my Dm, he let me research/create the following spell:

Back to Master
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Item Familiar
Casting Time: 1 free action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

This spell instantly transports the Item Familiar to his master. The item familiar appears in the hand of its master. If the master has her hands full or otherwise unable to hold the I.F.,it hovers in front of her for 1 round and then it fells at her feet.
The I.F. doesn't know in advance where its Master is. The spell, by taping into the bond between the I.F. and it's Master, knows where to send the caster.
The spell fails if Master and I.F. are on different planes, but the spell is not wasted.
The spell uses the highest spell slot invested on it at any given time. The spell considered always prepared.Even if the I.F. has more than 1 spell slot invested on it, when this spell is used every other available spell slot becomes unavailable for the rest of the day. If the spell is used, it becomes available again the next time its Master prepares her own spells.

What do you think about the spell? Will it serve my purpose?i could change it a bit if necessary but me and my Dm think it will do...