PDA

View Full Version : Dex-based Catfolk Druid

Aerilith
2014-02-03, 06:31 AM
Hi,

So my girlfriend decided she wants to join in our campaign, with her first ever character.
She's decided on Druid and being a Catfolk (+1 LA).
She'll be starting on level 2.

I've not had a huge exposure to druids, but dex seems like a dump-stat, therefore I turn to these forums in hope that one of you can steer me in the right direction for a druid build where dex is at least a decent addition.

I'm mostly looking for a concept, but specific weapons/feats/tactics would be much appreciated.
I was thinking of a weapon-finess, spiked chain build, that shifts into something that can utilize dex. Is that at all viable/possible?

Thank you in advance!
~Aerilith

Hangwind
2014-02-03, 06:44 AM
Lost tradition feat?:smalltongue:

Aerilith
2014-02-03, 06:53 AM
Lost tradition feat?:smalltongue:

Wow, that would indeed be awesome :D
Does a 3.5 version exist? Otherwise I guess I'll talk to the DM, but I doubt he'd allow it :P

Hangwind
2014-02-03, 07:03 AM
Well, it is third party D and D so...

However, Druid is one of the few casters where it is reasonably balanced. After all, the biggest game-breaker for a druid is the ability to cast while in Wildshape. If you replace your casting stat every time you wildshape, replacing it with another, probably lower, number, you actually balance the class a little better.:smallcool:

But yeah, lost tradition is ridiculous on any other caster.

hymer
2014-02-03, 07:07 AM
Depending on what the player wants, ditching Wild Shape might be the direction to head in. Not if she wants to be a shapeshifter, obviously, but the paperwork for shapeshifting (on top of spells and summons and animal companion) may be more than she'd really want. As catfolk, I assume the character will have good dex, which will be lost in shapeshifting. It's rather a waste of resources.

Kazyan
2014-02-03, 07:24 AM
It'll make eggynack cry an entire Desmodu Hunting Bat's weight of tears, but trading out wildshape is an option. The fairly simple Aspect of Nature can give you +8 Dex at 8th level.

Vhaidara
2014-02-03, 08:28 AM
Well, Wild Shape needs to be traded out if you want to use a weapon. I recommend the Aspect of the Dragon acf from Dragon Magic. Instead of wild shape, you get uses/day that can give you (pick one, more as you level):

Breath Weapon
Claws (+4 Str)
Immunity to Paralysis (+4 Con)
Darkvision, Low-Light Vision, Immunity to Sleep (+4 Wis)
Wings

Lasts for 1 hour.

eggynack
2014-02-03, 08:56 AM
It'll make eggynack cry an entire Desmodu Hunting Bat's weight of tears, but trading out wildshape is an option. The fairly simple Aspect of Nature can give you +8 Dex at 8th level.
But my heart. Can it truly take abuse of this level of cruelty? Who is to say? Anyways, yeah, dexterity is usually going to be something of a dump stat, probably because of desmodu hunting bats if anything. I mean, they have 24 dexterity as a base, which is already higher than if you applied catfolk to an 18 dexterity character. I suppose you go higher with aspect, as you've mentioned, but it's just kinda a do nothing ability.

Phelix-Mu
2014-02-03, 09:05 AM
I'd just whitewash the dragon flavor out of Aspect of the Dragon from Dragon Magic, make it more nature-ish if that is the character theme. This has a few benefits for a new player:

1.) Much easier to use than Wild Shape, which comes with the somewhat complicated Alternate Form rules, and a stack of paperwork and recordkeeping based on which animal form is used and what items are active.

2.) Much better balanced than Wild Shape, though it pains me to say so. Wild Shape's duration is huge, uses per day are generous (and a feat can nab you more), and the array of animals that was eventually printed is dizzying, including real gems like dire tortoise and the aforementioned desmodu hunting bat. Aspect of the Dragon is shorter duration while still being pretty useful, and requires a modicum of restraint in application. Also, it's a raw boost to ability scores with one or two other themed abilities, so a much easier to comprehend mechanic.

Wild Shape is dear to my heart, as are all things druid-y. But for a new player, I'd advise simplifying. If becoming an animal is a deal breaker (i.e., that's a vital part of being a druid for her), I'd just tack on a couple simple, non-combat forms for flavor, scouting, etc, and call it a day.