PDA

View Full Version : Sports XLVIII Superbowl!

Killer Angel
2014-02-03, 06:51 AM
Bad, ugly, and monstrously effective.
Kudos to the Seahawks!

Traab
2014-02-03, 09:41 AM
Well that was boring. I quit watching at half time. I mean, I basically rage quit when the broncos tried to convert on 4th and 2, instead of just getting an easy field goal and at least getting onto the freaking scoreboard before the end of the first half. Saw todays paper and realized I made the right choice. That had to be embarrassing.

Reverent-One
2014-02-03, 12:47 PM
Well that was boring. I quit watching at half time. I mean, I basically rage quit when the broncos tried to convert on 4th and 2, instead of just getting an easy field goal and at least getting onto the freaking scoreboard before the end of the first half. Saw todays paper and realized I made the right choice. That had to be embarrassing.

Field goal would have been a horrible choice there. Seattle didn't have time to really move down the field and score again if they failed to convert (as happened), and they were to far down in points for a field goal to be worth it.

Killer Angel
2014-02-03, 04:08 PM
Well that was boring. I quit watching at half time.

It must certainly be very embarassing, for Denver, to be on the wrong side of a record...

inexorabletruth
2014-02-03, 05:23 PM
It sounded like it was going to be a clash of the titans. The leagues greatest offense vs the leagues greatest defense… sounds good!

What a snoozer… and I was rooting for Seattle. I turned it off before Bruno Mars had a chance to make a bad thing worse. The commercials weren't even that good, except for when Arnie played ping-pong. That was awesome. The rest however was such a huge waste of time… and snack foods.

The only saving grace was that my D&D games were apparently still posting in PbP, so I got to enjoy a titanic struggle in Madness in Hepmonaland.

Nightgaun7
2014-02-03, 05:28 PM
Rained after the game where I am. Delicious Bronco tears!

Cyrion
2014-02-03, 06:18 PM
Count me in for the disappointed camp. I was hoping for a really strong game, but it was over by the first quarter and I got my ironing done, finished a book, and did some juggling in between commercials.

Proud Tortoise
2014-02-03, 06:48 PM
I heard there was an own goal scored in the first 15 seconds.

Palanan
2014-02-03, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Traab
Well that was boring. I quit watching at half time.

I switched to Downton Abbey at 8 pm.

:smalltongue:

inexorabletruth
2014-02-03, 08:30 PM
I heard there was an own goal scored in the first 15 seconds.

Yeah, I was like "BOO-YAH! :smalltongue:" when we scored that safety. How often does that even freaking happen?! An Manning looked so pissed.

But by the end of the first quarter, I was starting to… how to word this. I wasn't necessarily rooting for the Broncos, but I was more complaining that they weren't putting up enough of a fight. Instead of rooting on the Seahawks, I was shouting things like, "Come on Manning; put up a fight! What happened to you?!"

Pendulous
2014-02-03, 08:39 PM
I had mixed feelings beforehand. Since I had no "pony in the race", I wasn't really rooting for either team. I wanted Seattle to win because they have never won a Super Bowl. But I wanted Denver to win because Peyton Manning is the coolest freaking guy in sports. Also, and probably more importantly, I get super sick of people calling players "choke artists". Apparently, Manning, quite possibly the greatest quarterback ever, is a massive "choke artist" in the playoffs. Never mind the fact he got to the Super Bowl (..third time I think? won one). Never mind his defense played like hell, and special teams gave up a TD. never mind the fact that he was playing one of the best defenses EVER, and you have to give credit to the defense. No, Manning is a choker. Ugh. It makes me sick. Though, as a Dallas, and very much a Romo fan, I guess I'm a little biased.

In any case, yeah, the game kind of sucked. I'm all for blowouts, but I didn't want it here.

Jay R
2014-02-03, 09:20 PM
Admit it. If I had told you that Denver would throw the ball in the end zone for a score on the first offensive play of the game, that isn't what you would have expected.

Prehysterical
2014-02-03, 09:32 PM
I could feel my soul die as I watched that game.

With my Broncos shirt on, no less.

Best offense versus best defense in the NFL... and Denver nearly gets shut out.

What happened? I would be okay with Denver losing if it was a good game. But that... that was the worst game of football I've ever seen, and I've seen some stinkers from my own university's games.

Kislath
2014-02-04, 01:11 AM
When the very first "hike!" in the game, only 13 seconds in, resulted in a safety.. I thought that we were in for a wild ride.

I never in my wildest dreams expected to see some of the things we saw.

The kickoff return touchdown just after halftime was another doozy.

The commercials were pretty good this year, and the halftime show was very nice, but good grief, AUBURN could have beaten Denver.

KuReshtin
2014-02-04, 05:44 AM
Seems as if Russel Wilson and the Seahawks owns MetLife stadium when they face a Manning.

Total combined score during 2012 season:
Seahawks 66
Teams led by a Manning brother 8

The thing I'm most bummed out about when it comes to the game is that I was contemplating betting a fiver on a safety being the first score of the game at 39/1, which would have netted me almost £200, but I never did.

Also, another useless trivia. The past two Super Bowls where a Manning brother has started has had a safety as the first score of the game.

Killer Angel
2014-02-04, 07:22 AM
The commercials weren't even that good,

The commercials were pretty good this year,

The commercials' match, is more balanced than the game... :smalltongue:

Jay R
2014-02-04, 03:00 PM
As far as I’m concerned, the day's funniest commercial was the four-hour satire of football.

Killer Angel
2014-02-06, 03:54 PM
The commercials weren't even that good, except for when Arnie played ping-pong. That was awesome. The rest however was such a huge waste of time… and snack foods.

The RadioShack commercial was nice. :smallcool:

Cristo Meyers
2014-02-06, 03:59 PM

The Jaguar commercial was pretty good to.

inexorabletruth
2014-02-06, 05:22 PM

I don't think the RadioShack commercial counts as Super Bowl nice, though. It was just an advert saying they were updating their look. Ok… that's nice… moving on.

But that's just my humble opinion. Maybe there was a second RadioShack commercial that I missed? I did quit watching right before half time. I only really saw one commercial that blew my mind up until that point, and that was the beer commercial.

Jay R
2014-02-06, 05:53 PM
I don't think the RadioShack commercial counts as Super Bowl nice, though. It was just an advert saying they were updating their look. Ok… that's nice… moving on.

But that's just my humble opinion. Maybe there was a second RadioShack commercial that I missed? I did quit watching right before half time. I only really saw one commercial that blew my mind up until that point, and that was the beer commercial.

The statement, "The eighties called; they want their store back," followed by the store being dismantled by a bunch of eighties icons (Mary Lou Retton, Hulk Hogan, Dee Snyder, Cliff Clavin, Chucky, Q*bert, Kid 'n Play,Teen Wolf, Erik Estrada, ALF, the California Raisins, the owl from Clash of the Titans, etc., all leaving in a DeLorean), was a very clever and evocative use of nostalgia.

How well you liked it probably depends on how many of the eighties icons you recognized. My wife and I thought it was great.

inexorabletruth
2014-02-07, 02:41 AM
Hm.. yeah I suppose. I grew up in the 80s with Mary Lou Retton as one of my first crushes and heroes. I suppose I failed the commercial then. Perhaps had I been in the mood for some 80s nostalgia I would've found the commercial much more amusing.

Meth In a Mine
2014-02-07, 09:59 AM
A 4 AM this morning, Peyton Manning woke up screaming and said to his wife

"Man, I just had a terrible nightmare! But I can't let it get to my head, today's the Super Bowl!"

inexorabletruth
2014-02-07, 01:55 PM
A 4 AM this morning, Peyton Manning woke up screaming and said to his wife

"Man, I just had a terrible nightmare! But I can't let it get to my head, today's the Super Bowl!"

LOL! Poor Manning...

The Glyphstone
2014-02-07, 02:18 PM
I could feel my soul die as I watched that game.

With my Broncos shirt on, no less.

Best offense versus best defense in the NFL... and Denver nearly gets shut out.

What happened? I would be okay with Denver losing if it was a good game. But that... that was the worst game of football I've ever seen, and I've seen some stinkers from my own university's games.

This pretty much summed it up for me.

Safety Bowl XVLIII, Worst. Football. Game. Ever.

Scarlet Knight
2014-02-08, 11:24 AM
Denver has played poorly in a lot of Super Bowls.

I was hoping it would be freezing; the idea of all those corporate execs spending more than most people make in a year for a seat only to be frozen and bored was too delicious to hope for.

Commercials did not disappoint...great to see the Muppets and Clydesdales.

Traab
2014-02-08, 11:28 AM
When the very first "hike!" in the game, only 13 seconds in, resulted in a safety.. I thought that we were in for a wild ride.

I never in my wildest dreams expected to see some of the things we saw.

The kickoff return touchdown just after halftime was another doozy.

The commercials were pretty good this year, and the halftime show was very nice, but good grief, AUBURN could have beaten Denver.

See, I had the exact opposite initial reaction. When the very first play is a safety I went, "Well, this is going to suck." Then I saw, what was it, 2 interceptions and a fumble by the broncos all before half time? And my fears were confirmed. I hate blowouts, even if its my favorite team tearing the opponent a new one. I like awesome back and forth nail biting games where its down to the wire and this last play will decide the winner. Even if my team loses, at least it was a game worth watching!

And to make it even worse, my buffalo chicken was terrible! We screwed up the sauce and added a massive amount of ghost pepper by mistake. I couldnt even eat the things.

Beelzebub1111
2014-02-08, 03:29 PM
Three words: Defense. Wins. Championships.

Football is a game the best offense is a great defense. Being able to force your opponent to lose control of the ball is more important than scoring points. Despite the score, the Broncos played a decent offensive, they were aggressive and definitely played to win. It's Seahawks just didn't let them get any of those aggressive plays off. Meanwhile the Bronco's defense was sorely lacking.

It's more important, in football, to be able to stop the guy that runs fast than to run fast yourself.

Traab
2014-02-08, 05:55 PM
Three words: Defense. Wins. Championships.

Football is a game the best offense is a great defense. Being able to force your opponent to lose control of the ball is more important than scoring points. Despite the score, the Broncos played a decent offensive, they were aggressive and definitely played to win. It's Seahawks just didn't let them get any of those aggressive plays off. Meanwhile the Bronco's defense was sorely lacking.

It's more important, in football, to be able to stop the guy that runs fast than to run fast yourself.

That is true. The more often you have the ball, the more chances you have to score. The less often the other side gets to hold the ball, the fewer chances they have to score. You can only achieve both with a badass defense.

inexorabletruth
2014-02-09, 03:06 AM
I disagree. When the Cowboys were boasting one of the best defenses in the league under the tutelage of Wade Phillips, they still farted in the play-offs because of their swiss-cheese offensive line and mediocre special teams. Defense is important for winning games, but it's a team effort and all the pieces need to be there to make a winning team.

In this instance, Seattle had a great defense, offense and special teams. Everybody stepped up and left it all on the field. That's why Denver got curb stomped.

Zrak
2014-02-09, 04:03 AM
Seattle's offense had a huge advantage, too, in that Denver's defense went in totally unprepared for the kind of game they were going to play. I don't know if the Broncos defense was aware that the other team was also allowed to pass, but they certainly didn't seem to be. Seriously, though, it was pretty evident right from the start that Denver had practiced for a ground game, and Seattle's offense really capitalized on that. Denver has a hard enough time switching gears even on a good day (remember that overtime loss to the Pats?), so with their confidence already pretty shaken, I just don't think there was any way for them to recover.