PDA

View Full Version : Module suggestions

Invader
2014-02-03, 09:51 AM
I'm going to be running a group for mostly new players and I'd like a really good module both story wise and combat wise although I can easily change the combats to add some flavor. It should start at 1st and run to perhaps 5-7 and I'd it to feel suitably heroic for a group of first time players so they have a good first experience. Any suggestions?

yougi
2014-02-03, 10:04 AM
If you're looking for one story which would take them from 1 to 7, I think Lost City of Barakus would be a good pick: it's rather open-ended, with a few interesting plot hooks and a good dungeon at the end. The city described feels alive.

If you're interested in doing multiple modules from 1 to 7, then I suggest the following, all from Paizo:

Lv1-2: Anything, none are particularly good IMHO
Lv3: Feast of Ravenmoor (intrigue, murder mystery kind of thing)
Lv4: Tower of the Last Baron (must murder a Baron in his castle, so stealth is quite necessary)
Lv5: Carnival of Tears (because of the insane imagery it brings up)

If Eberron-like things are acceptable, Whisper of the Vampire's Blade is the best adventure I've ever run/played in, and is lv2-3 from memory.

Invader
2014-02-03, 10:44 AM
If you're looking for one story which would take them from 1 to 7, I think Lost City of Barakus would be a good pick: it's rather open-ended, with a few interesting plot hooks and a good dungeon at the end. The city described feels alive.

If you're interested in doing multiple modules from 1 to 7, then I suggest the following, all from Paizo:

Lv1-2: Anything, none are particularly good IMHO
Lv3: Feast of Ravenmoor (intrigue, murder mystery kind of thing)
Lv4: Tower of the Last Baron (must murder a Baron in his castle, so stealth is quite necessary)
Lv5: Carnival of Tears (because of the insane imagery it brings up)

If Eberron-like things are acceptable, Whisper of the Vampire's Blade is the best adventure I've ever run/played in, and is lv2-3 from memory.

I'm definitely looking for one campaign that goes from 1 to 5-7 as opposed multiple individual modules.

Callin
2014-02-03, 10:59 AM
Shattered Gates of Slaughterguard isnt half bad

Big Fau
2014-02-03, 11:38 AM
Scourge of the Howling Horde (followed up with the fore-mentioned Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde) is pretty good, especially if your party has a Ranger who wants some mileage out of his Favored Enemy bonus.

Zsaber0
2014-02-03, 11:44 AM
Im quite partial to the Shackled City adventure path myself. A fun story that brings characters from level 1 all the way to 20.

Invader
2014-02-03, 12:08 PM
Im quite partial to the Shackled City adventure path myself. A fun story that brings characters from level 1 all the way to 20.

I'm trying to steer clear of anything that goes beyond where we'll end up stopping because I want them to feel like they accomplished the main goal.

Invader
2014-02-03, 12:43 PM

Is it set up for 3.5 or do i have to adjust things from pathfinder to 3.5?

Invader
2014-02-03, 12:49 PM
Is there a master list of all the licensed modules somewhere I can look through? I found a partial one on wikipedia but it only has a few as far as I can see.

Invader
2014-02-03, 12:50 PM
I've read a lot of reviews for the Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde and it seems like most people say its just one fight after the other with not much of a plot.

yougi
2014-02-03, 12:53 PM
Is it set up for 3.5 or do i have to adjust things from pathfinder to 3.5?

It's 3.5, so you're all set.

The Glyphstone
2014-02-03, 12:56 PM
I've read a lot of reviews for the Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde and it seems like most people say its just one fight after the other with not much of a plot.

Your only option for the narrow subset you've defined (single module, start at 1, end at 5-7)is Slaughterguarde, unfortunately.

Expedition to Undermountain is 1-10.

Otherwise, you're module-chaining. Sunless Citadel (1-3) could lead into Forge of Fury (3-5), though. And if they're still game for a longer story after that, you are set to roll straight into Red Hand of Doom (5-12, one of the best adventures ever).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_adventures

Invader
2014-02-03, 01:31 PM
Your only option for the narrow subset you've definitionsingle module, start at 1, end at 5-7)is Slaughterguarde, unfortunately.

Expedition to Undermountain is 1-10.

Otherwise, you're module-chaining. Sunless Citadel (1-3) could lead into Forge of Fury (3-5), though. And if they're still game for a longer story after that, you are set to roll straight into Red Hand of Doom (5-12, one of the best adventures ever).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_adventures

That's the list I was looking at too. I would have swore there were more modules than that, guess I was mistaken.

Starbuck_II
2014-02-03, 01:59 PM
Scourge of the Howling Horde (followed up with the fore-mentioned Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde) is pretty good, especially if your party has a Ranger who wants some mileage out of his Favored Enemy bonus.

Looking at Scourge, it really is a decent adventure, plus it reminds you that the goblins move around and things change even (so if kill then return it won't be the same).

Invader
2014-02-03, 03:04 PM
Sunless citadel seems like a popular choice with people, is it actually fun or just chosen from lack of choice?

yougi
2014-02-03, 03:16 PM
I don't personally like Sunless Citadel, but that might just be me.

One thing I've done multiple times is dig out old 1E or 2E modules, and adapt encounters and loot to 3.5. Works like a charm, and many of these modules are much better than what we have today. Then again, many of them are much worse...

If that sounds alright with you, Against the Slave Lords was a great, GREAT series, although from memory it was from levels 3 to 9.

Big Fau
2014-02-03, 03:23 PM
Sunless citadel seems like a popular choice with people, is it actually fun or just chosen from lack of choice?

Some people have gripes with it, as its series of modules do have an issue with connecting certain plot points IIRC.