PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Which of this builds would work best? (Psion/Melee-Hybrids)

RandirGwann
2014-02-03, 10:32 AM
I am going to join a group, that's playing for some more time and so I have to start with a Lv13 character. I've only done two 1-shots so far and I don't know what is good/bad at higher levels.

I want do play a Hybrid of Psionic Powers and Melee Combat made up some builds and would like to know, which would work and which are just bad.

1. 6 Psion / 4 Elocator / 3 Illithid Slayer
2. 8 Psion / 5 Slayer
3. 5 Psion / 4 Elocater / 4 Pyrokineticist

4. 5 Monk / 6 Psionic Fist / 2 Pyrokineticist
5. 5 Monk / 8 Psionic Fist

7. 5 Soulknife / 8 Pyrokineticist

Some words to the Pyrokineticist, cause I found some versions in the web, that are a little different than that from the book I use.
The hand/weapon afire abbility is usable with out any limits and gives +2d6 on lv2 for unarmed,
+2d6 for weapons on lv4 and
+4d6 on lv8 for unarmed and weapons.
(seems pretty overpowered to me)

If you know other combinations of these classes or totally different builds, that what fit as psionic melee, please tell them too.

ps:
The Books we are using are:
Expanded Psionic Handbook
PHB I and II
Complete Adventure, Mage, Arcane, Divine, Champion, Warrior
Races of the Wild, Dragons, Destiny, Stone

Particle_Man
2014-02-03, 11:35 AM
Isn't that needlessly complicated? :elan:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html

Why not just a psychic warrior 13?

Psyren
2014-02-03, 11:44 AM
I see Complete Mage is allowed, so definitely try to get some Psychokinetic Champion in there (CMage pg. 52). Ranger/Psion/PC/Slayer would be your best bet as it would lose the least amount of ML and have the easiest requirements while also having great BAB and skills.

Elocater has some okay abilities but the lost ML and feats are a turn-off.

You have RotD in there - is Dragon Magic allowed too? Diamond Dragon is a fun and often-overlooked psigish option as well.

Psywar is an option too if you don't mind losing upper-level powers.

RandirGwann
2014-02-03, 11:54 AM
I don't like the psychic warrior that much, because his powers are quit limited to buffs (strong, but not realy what I want).

And more important: A Psion or Monk would fit much better to me lorewise.
The best options would be a Monk/Psion, but I haven't found a build, that seem to work. (as Psionic Fist is more like a Monk/Psychic Warrior)

EDIT:
I can't find the Psychokinetic Champion. On page 52 there is just the abjurant champion (maybe another version?), but it's mentioned that this PrC can be addapted to psionics. I guess I will just ask the DM, if it's ok.

What's PC in Ranger/Psion/PC/Slayer standing for?

I don't know if dragon magic is allowed, but I am going to ask too.

Draz74
2014-02-03, 01:09 PM
And more important: A Psion or Monk would fit much better to me lorewise.
The best options would be a Monk/Psion, but I haven't found a build, that seem to work. (as Psionic Fist is more like a Monk/Psychic Warrior)

Then it sounds like what you really want is a Monk/Ardent with Tashalatora. (Or a Monk/Psion with Tashalatora ... that works too, although it's unfortunate that you won't be able to afford a great Wisdom score since Intelligence will be your casting stat.)

Psyren
2014-02-03, 01:11 PM
Then it sounds like what you really want is a Monk/Ardent with Tashalatora. (Or a Monk/Psion with Tashalatora ... that works too, although it's unfortunate that you won't be able to afford a great Wisdom score since Intelligence will be your casting stat.)

Kung Fu Genius will fix that.

(Ascetic Psion helps too, and it's in the same book as Tashalatora even, but it's less effective than KFG since it only affects AC.)

Draz74
2014-02-03, 01:22 PM
Kung Fu Genius will fix that.
True, if it's allowed (Dragon Compendium), and if its flavor isn't objectionable.

(Ascetic Psion helps too, and it's in the same book as Tashalatora even, but it's less effective than KFG since it only affects AC.)

Forgive me, but what does KFG affect besides AC? Tashalatora builds typically have only two levels of Monk.

(Stunning Fist DCs technically aren't a Monk ability, and therefore by RAW aren't covered by KFG, although I suspect they are by RAI. So I'll understand if that's what you had in mind.)

Psyren
2014-02-03, 01:27 PM
I suppose that depends on your definition of "monk special ability" - regardless, Quivering Palm certainly is one under any definition.

Dragon Compendium typically has more legitimacy than actual dragon magazines due to being compiled.

There is also Carmendine Monk (CoV) which specifically calls out the Stunning Fist DC.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-03, 01:37 PM
My best build is as follows.

Psion 5 / Crystal Master 10 / Slayer 5

Crystal master grants an awesome set of bonuses, like +3 to strength, Con, Int and Dex, +6 to Def and Saves, and DR6/-.

Beyond that, you are good. If you can get Psychokinetic Champion approved, take that in place of slayer.