PDA

View Full Version : e6 barbarian/fighter damage reduction help me!

evilserran
2014-02-03, 11:59 AM
CG, 20 str, 16 con, 12 dex, 11 int, 10 wis, 8 cha,
I am a goliath.

I have reckless rage, reckless onslaught, extend rage, weapon focus improved unarmed combat, scorpions grasp, weapon focus natural attack, and maybe another feat or two i cant think of at the moment. I am a brawler/grappler build, +29 to grapple when raging at level 6. Problem is, my ac drop to 7 normally or 5 if i charge. My hp jumps to 92 when raging though, so i am NOT squishy per se. Problem is we are fighting MASSIVE groups of enemies, and i need damage reduction.

We are allowed to rip off abilities from any prestige we are qualified for, or any class abilites as a feat as we "level". Does anyone have any suggestion on how to acquire some damage reduction.

Croix
2014-02-03, 12:15 PM
Adamantine Armor give a DR 3/- if it's heavy for full plate that costs 16500gp. Then if you take Armor Specialization when you have 12 BAB you's gain an additional DR 2/- that I think stacks (?) with Adamantine Armor's DR that persists as long as you don't lose your Dex Bonus to AC.

Also Dread Necromancers have a DR class feat that scales poorly over the course of it's career called Lich Body if you don't mind slowly being a member of the undead? It DR 2/bludqeoning and magic starting at level two. The DR value increased to 4 at 7th level, 6 at 11th level, and 8 at 15th level. Scales poorly with a common damage type to break through, but it's DR nonetheless.

I think there are martial maneuvers that grant DR, but I'm uncertain.

Yeah... Pre-Epic DR is expensive, or rare to find.

evilserran
2014-02-03, 12:18 PM
e-6 my bab will never pass 6... i was arguing about armor specialization but it looks like he is going to hold me to the "can't get it as my bab won't qualify" only time he is allowing bab to be ignored is if it is a prereq to a prestige... which is why this is so difficult.

Croix
2014-02-03, 12:35 PM
Are you stuck at level 6 eternally with pseudo leveling, or are you just level 6 for right now? :smallconfused: Because if you're not stuck as level 6, it is something to remember for later on.

Regardless Dread Necromancer's Lich Body is an option as it gives you DR 2/Magic&Bludgeoning for the current level.

Also being an afflicted Lycanthrope is an option to get DR 5/Silver if your stuck at level 6 with pseudo leveling. If you can convince your DM to allow you to be a natural one by doing a, "You all never knew cause I didn't want you to" type deal to get DR 10/silver. Of course it only works while you're in your alternate form. Also, I'd go Werebear. Str +16, Dex +2, Con +8 is nothing to sneeze at given you're a monsterous hulk of a Goliath as is. :smallamused:

nedz
2014-02-03, 12:35 PM
I would need more information to know if you qualify for any of these PrCs, but they all offer DR in one form or another. Most of the melee PrCs seem to require BAB of +7, which is hard to get in E6

Dragonslayer (Draconomicon p125)
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Tumble 2 ranks
Feats: Dodge , Iron Will

Forsaker (Masters of the Wild: A Guidebook to Barbarians, Druids, and Rangers p57)
Feats: Great Fortitude , Iron Will , Lightning Reflexes
Special: The character must once have been the victim of a magical attack that seriously wounded him or threatened his life. He must also sell or give away all his magic items (including magic weapons, armor, and potions) and renounce the use of any spellcasting and spelllike abilities he previously used.

Gatecrasher (Manual of the Planes p26)
Alignment: Any nonlawful
Skills: Knowledge (the planes) 4 ranks , Use Magic Device 8 ranks
Special: To qualify for the gatecrasher class, the character must have visited two planes of existence other than his native plane.

Pious Templar (Complete Divine p50)
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks
Feats: True Believer , Weapon Focus (with deity's favored weapon)

Survivor (Savage Species p89)
Base Save Bonus: Highest base save bonus must be lower than character level.
Special: The path of the survivor requires a concentrated month of study to enter the prestige class. During this month, the character must stay in one place and spend all his waking hours in study, practice, and meditation.

Templar (Defenders of the Faith p72)
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks
Feats: Endurance , Weapon Focus (with deity's favored weapon)

Ed:

only time he is allowing bab to be ignored is if it is a prereq to a prestige...
It would have been useful to have known this before I did my search :smallsigh:
I discounted several that had BAB +7 as a requirement.

evilserran
2014-02-03, 12:37 PM
I will look into those nedz, the BAB prereq for the PrC is the one time we are allowed to ignore bab, so those dont matter, only the "feat ones" which is weird, but thats how he is running it, and yes to the above poster, stuck at level 6 forever.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-03, 01:04 PM
Ok, so with rage, your con score is 20.

Therefore, under some readings of the rules, you can take feats that require a con score of 20, but they will only function while raging.

Roll with it is a feat that requires a con score of 20 and the toughness feat. It grants DR2/-, can be taken multiple times, and EXPLICITLY STACKS WITH ALL DR OF ANY TYPE, INCLUDING ITSELF.

Take it as many times as you can. Get some Adamantine Armor (full plate preferably) and enchant it to +3 (in base enhancement, not add ons). This lets you get a Greater Ironward Armor Crystal for the armor. This adds another 5/- armor (for a number of hits per day). Get several to swap out as you use them up.

You walk around with DR 8/- and when raging gain an additional feat*2 DR that stacks.

evilserran
2014-02-03, 01:05 PM
so i just found "roll with it" and epic "damage reduction" +2/+3 respectively. They require a con modifier of 20/21 respectively. I am at 16 now, by going bear warrior with power attack, i can then open the warshapers morphic body and push it to 20, can anyone think of another way to gain +1 if tomes are not "attainable?" any class ability to add a permenant +1 con that meets the other prereqs above?

evilserran
2014-02-03, 01:07 PM
Ok, so with rage, your con score is 20.

Therefore, under some readings of the rules, you can take feats that require a con score of 20, but they will only function while raging.

Roll with it is a feat that requires a con score of 20 and the toughness feat. It grants DR2/-, can be taken multiple times, and EXPLICITLY STACKS WITH ALL DR OF ANY TYPE, INCLUDING ITSELF.

Take it as many times as you can. Get some Adamantine Armor (full plate preferably) and enchant it to +3 (in base enhancement, not add ons). This lets you get a Greater Ironward Armor Crystal for the armor. This adds another 5/- armor (for a number of hits per day). Get several to swap out as you use them up.

You walk around with DR 8/- and when raging gain an additional feat*2 DR that stacks.

interesting... i will ask him if that is his interpretation of stat prereqs.

Fouredged Sword
2014-02-03, 01:23 PM
One could also look into getting a +4 belt, and having that qualify you. You loose the boost when not wearing the belt, but why would you ever take it off?

Another option is the mineral warrior template. It would grant +2 Str and +4 con (getting you to 20) and grant DR 8/ad, stacking with the Ironward crystal and the roll with it feats, meaning you are sitting on 13/ad or 5/- + roll with it*2 at all times.

It is an acquired template, so you SHOULD be able to get your hands on it. It's a 6th level spell though, so you can't get it from a normal caster in an E6 world.

Komatik
2014-02-03, 01:43 PM
1. Feat: Shape Soulmeld

2. Choose Astral Vambraces: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20060217a

3. Cackle a bit more than is entirely healthy.

Ruethgar
2014-02-03, 01:55 PM
They are third party but the feats Stone Bones(bludgeon only) and Iron Bones give some DR. The non-updated Brawler Fighter can reduce all damage taken by Con. The updated one just needs you to have regeneration to get the same(there is a feat for regen though it fatigues in sunlight and is first level only, you can retrain for it and there was a class feature somewhere that removed fatigue). The Crusader has some neat tricks for damage mitigation.