PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Witch hexes question + restoring spells slot

Roncorps
2014-02-03, 12:28 PM
So, some little question about how the witch hexes work.

1. When a hexe is cast, the target can roll a saving throw to nullify it (like with Misfortune, will throw) or change the outcome (Evil Eye, will save = only 1 round). Here the question : Does the saving throw continue with each round or when I start cackling, it's the end for the target and he can't get rid of the hexes ?

2. When I don't have any more spell slot for the day, if I sleep for 8 hours and commune with my familiar, do I regain them ? Let say I start the day at 6 am, at 12 pm no more spell. I sleep till 8 pm and regain all my spell ?

Thanks !

Psyren
2014-02-03, 12:44 PM
1) He only gets to save once. In the case of Evil Eye, this means it will stick to them only as long as you keep cackling, and it will stop when you do.

2) Yes - any time you need more spells, you can rest for 8 hours and recover them. If you're not tired, you don't need to sleep.

Roncorps
2014-02-03, 12:50 PM
Really for the spell ? It's kind of a debate in my group and the DM seem to go with the 24 hours ''rule''. So, even if I'm not tired, I can commune 1 hour and hop, new spell ?

Psyren
2014-02-03, 01:04 PM
Really for the spell ? It's kind of a debate in my group and the DM seem to go with the 24 hours ''rule''. So, even if I'm not tired, I can commune 1 hour and hop, new spell ?

There are two types of empty spell slot:

1) Used (I had a spell in here today, and I either cast it or abandoned it.)
2) Vacant (I intentionally left this slot blank while I was preparing spells, so I could fill it in later.)

For the first type, you need 8 hours of rest ("sleep" or "restful calm," if you don't need to sleep) to refresh it, followed by anywhere from 15 minutes up to 1 hour communing with the familiar.

For the second type, you don't need the rest first, because the slot was never used. It is still "fresh." You do still need a minimum of 15 minutes to fill it however, and more than that (up to 1 hour) if you are filling more than one of these.

Barstro
2014-02-03, 01:38 PM
From the SRD

Spell Slots

The various character class tables show how many spells of each level a character can cast per day.

Note; that does not say "per awake time after eight hours of rest". By my reading, that means the Witch/Wizard/Cleric cannot simply rest for eight hours and get all spell slots back, this can be done only once in a 24 hour period. At a minimum, she gets to rest at night to replenish for the day. At best, she can rest for a bit and fill up a slot that had been used over 24 hours ago.

In short, a Witch cannot cast all her spells, rest up, cast them all again, rest up and cast them all again for a total of three times in a 24 hour period.

Roncorps
2014-02-03, 02:34 PM
That's what my DM RAW the rule, but I read it like Psyren.

Slipperychicken
2014-02-03, 02:36 PM
Just for clarity: Your hexes are for the most part at-will abilities, and are distinct from your spells.

Psyren
2014-02-03, 02:48 PM
Looking into it further, it does seem to be one period of prep every 24 hours. Ring of Sustenance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-sustenance) says:

The ring also refreshes the body and mind; its wearer needs only sleep 2 hours per day to gain the benefit of 8 hours of sleep. This allows a spellcaster that requires rest to prepare spells to do so after only 2 hours, but this does not allow a spellcaster to prepare spells more than once per day.