PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Weakest ACFs Ever

ChaoticDitz
2014-02-03, 12:53 PM
Another title-says-all thread. What ACFs are the most mechanically detrimental to their applied class? Bear in mind, this is based on how much power the class originally had; a Zhentarim or Thug variant Fighter might be way weaker than a Shapechange Druid, but Shapechange Druid loses power compared to regular Druid unlike the Zhentarim. All official sources, Dragon, and even 3rd-party allowed, but no homebrew because the list will never end if that's allowed. Oh and racial substitution does not count as an ACF here. I think it's the No Spellcasting variants of Ranger and Paladin are the worst, but what do you guys say?

stack
2014-02-03, 01:04 PM
A druid giving up armor prof and wildshape for a few monk and ranger bonuses. Biggest relative change I can think of.

eggynack
2014-02-03, 01:07 PM
Druids get a bunch of bad ones. Going in alphabetical order, cause I can, there's aspect of nature, deadly hunter, drow druid (DotU, 58), druidic avenger, phynxkin companion (DrM, 13), shapeshift (PHB II, 39), spontaneous affliction (EoE, 21), and spontaneous rejuvenation (PHB II, 39). You said no substitution levels for reasons that I do not know, but goliath druid substitution levels (RoS, 151), and the fifth shifter druid substitution level (RoE, 126) are also really bad, the latter cause it does absolutely nothing, and the former cause you need to be a goliath, and you don't really get anything. I dunno how I'd rank the list, but drow druid, spontaneous affliction, and spontaneous rejuvenation are particularly do nothing.

Psyren
2014-02-03, 01:08 PM
Spell-less ranger and spell-less paladin (both in CWar IIRC) hurt a lot.

The Druid one I don't consider to be that big a deal because a Druid without Wildshape is still T1.

limejuicepowder
2014-02-03, 01:19 PM
Some of the barb ACF in unearthed arcana (I think, might be PHB2) are really bad. Giving up more unique things like fast movement, uncanny dodge, and DR for sub-par feats is painful - especially considering they could be getting pounce, whirling frenzy, and free trip.

Nihilarian
2014-02-03, 01:36 PM
Some of the barb ACF in unearthed arcana (I think, might be PHB2) are really bad. Giving up more unique things like fast movement, uncanny dodge, and DR for sub-par feats is painful - especially considering they could be getting pounce, whirling frenzy, and free trip.Whirling Frenzy can be taken by any Barbarian, unless he gives up rage. But yeah, wolf and lion totems are the clear winners.

The Bard ones in UA are a bit wonky. The divine bard bases its casting on both charisma and wisdom, and the bardic sage uses intelligence and charisma. Not worth it.

Ruethgar
2014-02-03, 02:10 PM
Focused animal and storm Druids are certainly not the best of choices, focused animal loses wild shape, storm loses wild shape and AC. Shapeshifter is at least good for a dip by another melee. Most of the totem barbarian ACFs are bad, horse lord is another barbarian one, sure you get a ranger AC but you can no longer use anything needing rage. Stalwart battle sorcerers aren't all that great, they can fit into some builds nicely but most would benefit more from more spells. Most every Quintessential alternative for Aristocrat, Druid, Bard, Ranger, Rogue, and Cleric are terrible, and of the fighter options one is just ok, abother is breakable beyond repair and the rest are pretty much bad. Sorcerer has two Quintessential options that are good and the rest are crap. The Witch(Q not DMG) has mostly flavorful but bad options. The arcane monk, though not an ACF but a variant class, was a good idea poorly executed such that a monk can be made much better. Rage Clerics are horrible when you can take the passion domain and extend rage. Similarly rage monks aren't all that great.

SowZ
2014-02-03, 02:12 PM
Spell-less ranger and spell-less paladin (both in CWar IIRC) hurt a lot.

The Druid one I don't consider to be that big a deal because a Druid without Wildshape is still T1.

Low Tier 1, though. It loses serious utility and the option to be as good a bruiser.

Nihilarian
2014-02-03, 02:35 PM
Low Tier 1, though. It loses serious utility and the option to be as good a bruiser.The druid still gets Polymorph. It can still be a good bruiser, it just has to work at it a bit more.

eggynack
2014-02-03, 02:38 PM
The druid still gets Polymorph. It can still be a good bruiser, it just has to work at it a bit more.
I don't think anything else a druid has is much like polymorph, shapeshift included. Shapeshift probably isn't even the worst thing you can trade wild shape for, though it might be the worst given that you also inexplicably lose the animal companion. Wild shifting is probably worse, for example, as is drow druid.

Jeff the Green
2014-02-03, 03:37 PM
Clerics get a bunch of crappy ones too, because most of them give up Turn Undead.