PDA

View Full Version : Personalised Arcane Heripohant - is the balance fair?

Stephen_E
2007-01-26, 07:57 PM
Would trading out the Wildshape ability be reasonable for the following boosts on a Arcane Heirophant (Races Wild) build.

I want to use Precocious Apprentice (Comp Arcane pg 181 - gives you a 2nd level spell at level 1) to meet the "can cast 2nd lev Arcane spells" prereq (which is probably technically legal), and once I gain a Companion Familiar (Animal Companion with Familiar Intel and special abilities) to take the bonus HD as class levels amongst the Barbarian, Fighter and Scout classes (under the latest FAQ this is pretty defintely not legal by RAW).

In return I'd give up Wildshape entirely (Arcane Heirophant get full Wildshape progression)

Does this seem resonably balanced, or weaker than retaining Wildshape (both fine with me), or does the advantage of Wildshape seem less than quicker entry into Arcane Heirophant + limited Melee class levels for your Companion Familiar (you trade 3 strong saves - Dire Companion - for 1 strong save +
Barbarian - +1 BAB/4 levs, +2 hps/lev, +2 skill pts/lev, class special abilities
Fighter - +1 BAB/4 levs, +1 hp/lev, bonus feats
Scout - +6 skill pts/lev, class special abilities

For those who don't know Arcane Heriophant, prereq requires 2nd Arcane and divine casting, Trackless step, BAB +4, non-lawful and some skills. It gives Divine and Arcane spell advancement, Full Wildshape and Animal Companion (except that the Animal Companion gets all the best features of a Familiar added to it) advancement, + some additional class abilities.

Stephen

Caelestion
2007-01-26, 08:04 PM
Other than that using Precocious Apprentice in that way is completely full of Gouda, the text does say "spells". That feat grants you precisely one spell.

Stephen_E
2007-01-26, 08:39 PM
Other than that using Precocious Apprentice in that way is completely full of Gouda, the text does say "spells". That feat grants you precisely one spell.

The use of plurals is pretty loose in DnD rules. In general I've found if you're using the plural/singular argument (which I've done myself) it's to justify restricting something you think is too strong by been pedantic.

That said, I did say "probably technically legal".

The point is that. is the "Gouda" of using Precocious Apprentice that way, as well as the switch class levels for the "effectively animal levels" that the bonus HD give you richer than the "Gouda" that is Wildshape in it full non-PHB2 glory.

Stephen

Frojoe21
2007-01-26, 09:30 PM
Actually, the Precautious apprentice issue has been covered by WOTC customer service. It gives you the slot, not the ability to cast spells, so no AH 2 levels early. Just checking to make sure I'm not wrong about it though, but I do recall something brought up on the Character Optimization boards.

Stephen_E
2007-01-26, 11:50 PM
Actually, the Precautious apprentice issue has been covered by WOTC customer service. It gives you the slot, not the ability to cast spells, so no AH 2 levels early. Just checking to make sure I'm not wrong about it though, but I do recall something brought up on the Character Optimization boards.

Can you post a link, or even just paste what they said. There's nothing in the FAQ, and since it does actually allow you to cast a 2nd lev spell, or spells if you have a 2nd lev Pearl of Power, it is somewhat bizzarre to say it doesn't.

Stephen