PDA

View Full Version : Possible typo

Luna_Mayflower
2014-02-03, 02:51 PM
I believe there is a typo in the new strip. When the lecherous traitor Geoff tries to conquer the suave Ian with his lies, he says "You wouldn've done the same".

Unless this is the traitor villain attempting to confuse the heroic father figure with a new, fake word?

martianmister
2014-02-03, 03:22 PM
Nice catch!

Gift Jeraff
2014-02-03, 03:25 PM
No.

wouldn't + would've :smallconfused:

martianmister
2014-02-03, 03:28 PM
wouldn't + would've

No.

That would be would'ven't. :smallconfused:

AzraelX
2014-02-03, 03:30 PM
No.

No.

Because that wouldn've made sense in the given context.

ORione
2014-02-03, 03:32 PM
No.

No.

That would be would'ven't. :smallconfused:

Actually, it would be wouldn't've. Which is legit (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_double_contractions).

Gift Jeraff
2014-02-03, 03:42 PM
Actually, it would be wouldn't've. Which is legit (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_double_contractions).

So it was a typo, but it was supposed to say "wouldn't've," not "would've." :smallconfused:

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-02-03, 03:47 PM
It looks like it was to supposed to say would've. Otherwise Ian would be saying "Yeah" and agreeing that he wouldn've done the same for Haley, and the say "I probably would've" which contradicts that "yeah" unless Geoff said would've.

martianmister
2014-02-03, 04:46 PM

I was close enough. :smallbiggrin:

AzraelX
2014-02-03, 04:51 PM
So it was a typo, but it was supposed to say "wouldn't've," not "would've." :smallconfused:
No.

That doesn't make sense in the given context.

- "Please, try to understand! You would not have done the same thing in my position!"

- "Yeah, you're right, I would have."

If you think that sounds correct, then you're wrong.

If you don't think that's correct, then you need to read the strip again, because this is the conversation they had.

Nimrod's Son
2014-02-03, 05:01 PM
Nice catch!
Not particularly; the strip is nearly a week old, and it was pointed out several times in the main discussion thread from day one.

Bulldog Psion
2014-02-03, 05:39 PM
Yes, it should be wouldn't've.

Of course, a double contraction is considered technically incorrect in English even in informal usage, so "wouldn't have" would've avoided two issues simultaneously.

pearl jam
2014-02-03, 05:52 PM
If it ended with a question mark and Geoff had an accent like Durkon's, then wouldn've would've fit. :P

Angralad
2014-02-03, 05:55 PM
Yes, it should be wouldn't've.

Of course, a double contraction is considered technically incorrect in English even in informal usage, so "wouldn't have" would've avoided two issues simultaneously.

True, but my guess is The Giant wanted to save space in his speech balloon (and then made the typo); gods know real estate in speech balloons is ridiculously valuable. :smallsmile:

JustWantedToSay
2014-02-03, 06:56 PM
No.

- "Please, try to understand! You would not have done the same thing in my position!"

If you don't think that's correct, then you need to read the strip again, because this is the conversation they had.

In english, a negative question means the exact same thing as a positive question.

--Did you go to the store? --Did you not go to the store./?

If you went to the store, you answer YES to both questions.

The negative isn't literal, but rather it indicates the belief of the person asking the question. If you don't know whether or not someone went to the store you ask "Did you go to the store?" If you are certain that they went to the store, and are getting them to admit it you ask "Did you not go to the store?" And if you're trying to teach them something, you may omit the question mark, as it is not required for rhetorical questions.

DeliaP
2014-02-03, 07:15 PM
No.

In english, a negative question means the exact same thing as a positive question.

The negative isn't literal, but rather it indicates the belief of the person asking the question. If you don't know whether or not someone went to the store you ask "Did you go to the store?" If you are certain that they went to the store, and are getting them to admit it you ask "Did you not go to the store?" And if you're trying to teach them something, you may omit the question mark, as it is not required for rhetorical questions.

But there's still a typo, because to do this Geoff needed to use a question mark?

- "Please, try to understand! You wouldn't have done the same thing in my position?"

Nimrod's Son
2014-02-03, 07:24 PM
Exactly. Geoff isn't asking Ian a question; he's telling him that Ian would have done the same if Bozzok were threatening Haley instead of Jiminy (which Ian then agrees with). The only typo is an unnecessary N in "would've".

Peelee
2014-02-03, 07:43 PM

In questions, yes. However, this was a declarative statement, not a question, so the negative changes the meaning.

Keltest
2014-02-03, 08:43 PM
In questions, yes. However, this was a declarative statement, not a question, so the negative changes the meaning.

Plus, while not a universal rule, a negative question usually implies that someone is looking for a more elaborate answer than a straightforward one.

"Did you not go to the store?" could mean "Something about your trip was abnormal for going to the store. Did you really go? if you did, why are you late/early/insert context appropriate subquestion here?"

Gift Jeraff
2014-02-03, 09:18 PM
Maybe he's saying Ian wouldn'tve done the same; Ian would've started a mutiny against Bozzok. :smallconfused:

137beth
2014-02-03, 10:12 PM
Okay, time for a vote! Should this be included in the index of forum arguments?

I vote yes, because otherwise it won't'e'notic'ble to future poste'rs.

Bird
2014-02-04, 12:53 AM
Okay, time for a vote! Should this be included in the index of forum arguments?

I vote yes, because otherwise it won't'e'notic'ble to future poste'rs.
I'm not sure if I can live on this forum anymore. I may need to return to my home planet.

*flies away*

allenw
2014-02-05, 12:40 AM
I believe there is a typo in the new strip. When the lecherous traitor Geoff tries to conquer the suave Ian with his lies, he says "You wouldn've done the same".

I don't think we have any evidence of Geoff's lechery, much less any reason to think it would be directed at Ian (regardless of his suaveness).