PDA

View Full Version : Having fun with LA Races

Hobbo Jim
2014-02-03, 03:25 PM
Hey everyone! So, I always hear about how LA races and races with HD aren't any good for optimization, but I want to know if anyone has had fun playing some, whether it's for role-playing, to have a ridiculous backstory, or just so you can say you have that Troll character with 40+ strength (despite not having much else).

I know I've created a half-possessed klepto pixie that has threw some ridiculous temper tantrums :P good times. Also been thinking about making a Illithid for a campaign, just to see how many brains it can eat before it dies.

Rebel7284
2014-02-03, 04:26 PM
I feel that Gloura with LA buyoff into Sublime Chord could be a lot of fun. Very nice stats mods and charisma to saves/AC.

Esprit15
2014-02-03, 05:38 PM
LA really just hurts casters. Things like a somewhat hefty bonus to STR, natural armor, extra limbs and so forth are a lot of fun for not as much cost for, say, a barbarian. Oh no, I lost two dice of max health. But I got a few dozen levels/items worth of STR bonus and natural armor, which was what those lost levels would have funded anyways.

Particle_Man
2014-02-03, 09:06 PM
I still want to play a stonechild ranger/horizon walker. He would be a rolling stone. ;)

I have played an angel (astral deva) paladin and a treant crusader. In the former case the racial hd was waived, in the latter the character had no racial hd and the la was waived. That might not be the answer you are looking for, though.