PDA

View Full Version : Custom Paladin's Code

Asteron
2014-02-03, 03:27 PM
In the Scales of War game that my group is back-porting to 3.p, I will be switching from DM to player after the 3rd adventure (we will be switching every 3 for continuity's sake.)

I will be playing a Paladin//Cl. Cleric/Church Inquisitor and I will worship Bahamut (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Bahamut). I want to write up a Code for the Paladin specific to Bahamut and his precepts.

One thing that I would like to change, for every paladin ever, is the "must not ever commit an Evil act..." as I feel that it is too constriciting and easily abused by DMs. I would instead have it read "must be X alignment." Is that too permisive? Potentially problematic in other ways?

Here is the code that I have so far:
Uphold the highest ideals of honor and justice.
Be constantly vigilant against evil and to oppose it from all fronts
Protect the weak, liberate the oppressed, and defend Just order.
Never give yourself wholly to Evil and Lawlessness.

What do you guys think? Is it too vague? Any constructive criticisms are appreciated!

Red Fel
2014-02-03, 04:42 PM
Consider Bahamut's goals. Bahamut is one of the ultimate "benevolence" deities - be strong, be good, and inspire strength and goodness in others. However, he has one specific cast-in-stone hate-point: Evil Dragons.

In terms of doctrinal teachings, the only really mandatory things I see for Bahamut are:
- Don't be Evil
- Murder the ever-loving crap out of every Evil dragon you see

The rest would be more like guidelines:
- Defending the weak is great. Uplifting them is better.
- When you wear Bahamut's symbol, you stand as a symbol of Bahamut. Do nothing to tarnish the name of the Platinum Dragon nor the reputation of his followers.
- Standing as a symbol of virtue is great. Inspiring others to virtue is better.

And so forth.

Bahamut doesn't get thoroughly cheesed if you commit a minor Evil act. Even the Dragonborn, specially chosen by Bahamut, don't get cast down for a single Evil act. (Although if it merits attention, they get a Stern Warning. And if it keeps up, they do get cast down, and painfully.) I don't like the idea of a Paladin falling because, "Ha ha, you helped a bad guy, that's an Evil act, you fall." I agree that being Evil, or at least habitually doing Evil, is a basis for falling; not simply an isolated bad act. (Unless it's a super bad act. Like baby-eating.)

I happen to think your Code is pretty, but vague. To dissect:
"Uphold the highest ideals of honor and justice." What is honor? What is justice? What are their highest ideals? How does one uphold them?
"Be constantly vigilant against evil and to oppose it from all fronts." So, what, stay up every night staring out into the forest with Detect Evil on? What degree of Evil? Even minor Evil, like jaywalking? Do we Smite jaywalkers, now, is that a thing? And what do you mean, oppose it? Kill it? Write it a sternly-worded letter?
"Protect the weak, liberate the oppressed, and defend Just order." Protect the weak and liberate the oppressed, sure. See slaves, kill their slavers. See people beaten, beat the beaters. But defend just order? How, and from what? Are we killing Chaotics now, too?
"Never give yourself wholly to Evil and Lawlessness." In the immortal words of Asmodeus, read the fine print. "Never give yourself wholly" - so becoming partially Evil and Lawless is fine?
I get what you're trying to say with these, and the vague yet inspirational messages are fine for an in-character explanation of your Code, but you want something more concrete for out-of-character purposes. Here's a sample, using your concepts. Stand for honor and justice. Show people that being honorable is an advantage, not a handicap. Side note, don't let my honor handicap the party. Show people that justice is something to be desired, not avoided. Temper justice with mercy, and don't be a kill-happy all-evil-must-die-right-now jerk.
Oppose Evil. Recognize that some Evil is inherent in the human condition. Chastise but don't get violent over it. Show people that Good is better, by being Good but not Stupid Good. Inspire people to want to be more Good. When faced with unrepentant Evil, kill it with fire. When faced with repentant Evil, show it mercy, and in doing so show that Good is better.
When confronted with the abused, the oppressed, the underfoot, protect them from immediate threats. Teach them to rise up and protect themselves. Free them from the immediate threat and enable them to defend themselves from future ones.
Teach people the value of justice and fairness. Oppose those who would disrupt a just world. Temper justice with mercy, as above. Don't kill people over minor injustices, as with Evil, above. Show people that justice and order is better than chaos and barbarism, as above.
Don't be Evil. Don't be Chaotic. Don't seek ways to get around your oaths; obey them in the letter and the spirit. But if you do slip, pick yourself back up and start over. Don't give up on yourself or your beliefs.
For your Code to be something on which you and the DM can rely, you want it to be more concrete. It's fine for your in-character Code to be flowery and vague, as long as both you and the DM know what you really mean.

Popertop
2014-02-03, 05:02 PM
Paladin lover here. The code as written in the PHB is way to restrictive to actually be applied to any real person. (I would know, I was raised extremely devout)

I like to have a more general code, and you have a good one there with the god's ideals. Basically that's all a paladin is, a highest representation of his own god's ideals.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of the, "You do one evil thing you fall."

Have you ever seen the Real Alignments homebrew someone on here made?

It's more of a flexible take on alignments, you can actually "bend" up to two steps for an act or two before having serious mechanical repercussions, I feel like it makes for a more fluid and dynamic system than the traditional alignment system.

Fax Celestis
2014-02-03, 05:08 PM
You might want to try my mantle of faith paladin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33551).

BWR
2014-02-03, 05:32 PM
What I do for all divine casters in my game is require a set of about 3-4 core vows and up to a dozen vows/clarifications. In the case of the paladin code in the book, most of those restrictions are followed as well.

E.g. the paladin in my Mystara campaign is dedicated to Mealiden, protector of his patron Ilsundal and guardian of the elves and realm of Alfheim.

Her core vows are
- protect the elves and realm of Alfheim
- honesty in all things, even if it harms your or your friends in the short term, because dishonesty always begets worse down the line
- always be merciful to those that surrender, flee or are otherwise incapacitated

Secondary
- abstinence from alcohol and other mind-altering substance and sex (for 100 years, as a sign of dedication, not that there is anything inherently wrong with these things)
- stealth and ambushes are ok, so long as you announce your presence and allow the enemy a chance to surrender before attacking
- dirty fighting is ok too - once comabt is engaged, the enemy must be defeated by any means necessary
- donate a certain amount of wealth (not a fixed amount, but the player regularly gives away a lot so it's not a problem) for the good of the elves, be it churches, needy individuals, etc. Lacking these, donations to churches of good Immortals are acceptable.

A dwarf paladin of Moradin in my girlfriend's group had the following (that I can recall)
- never lie
- never sneak or hide your presence
- never take an unfair advantage in combat (flanking, attacking prone creatures, never attack unarmed opponents, entangled, grappling, being invisible etc. and he disliked ganging up on targets)
- tithe to the local smith(s)
- always aid children and widows in distress

Marcelinari
2014-02-03, 08:38 PM
My displeasure with the Paladin's code as written (and the various interpretations often seen around the internet) led me to formulate a stock Code for all my campaigns and characters.

It's designed to be flexible but firm, allowing the player to use their better judgement when applying it. I hope it comes in handy - and it's only 10 items long, so it's nice and compact.

1. Protect the innocent.

2. Do no evil.

3. Evil rests within the hearts of all men; a Paladin’s duty is to punish those who act upon it.

4. Lead by example: a Paladin should be an exemplar of courage, honour, and chivalry.

5. Take pride in your calling, but be not pompous, for it ill befits a Paladin.

6. Uphold justice always, and be not afraid to challenge injustice, regardless of the written law.

7. When no other authority reigns, a Paladin is empowered to mete out justice. Wield this power wisely, and with discretion.

8. Use not poison or necromancy, for others who are less righteous may use these tools in imitation, and are more likely to fall to the seduction of evil.

9. Not all infractions of the law are worthy of a Paladin’s time. Leave lesser offenses to the guards - yours is a greater task.

10. Only engage in combat to protect yourself or others, or to destroy the forces of evil.

I also originally conceived of it as an 'in order of priority' type deal, too - so the first item is more important than the second, and so the second could be broken (with lesser consequences) if it was to maintain the first. Kind of a 'Laws of Robotics' deal.

Gavinfoxx
2014-02-03, 11:21 PM
I once wrote up a custom code: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13565435&postcount=4

Asteron
2014-02-05, 03:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies! There is some great stuff in here.

After perusing the ideas you guys had, here is what I came up with:
Uphold the highest ideals of honor and justice.

Show people that being honorable is an advantage, not a handicap. Show people that justice is something to be desired, not avoided. Mercy is a part of Justice and should be afforded to truly repentant offenders.
Be constantly vigilant against evil and to oppose it from all fronts.
Recognize that some Evil is inherent in the human condition. Chastise but don't get violent over it. Show people that Good is better, by being Good but not foolishly so. Inspire people to want to be more Good. When faced with unrepentant Evil, destroy it. When faced with repentant Evil, show it mercy, and in doing so show that Good is better.
Protect the weak, liberate the oppressed, and defend Just order.

When confronted with the abused, the oppressed, the underfoot, protect them from immediate threats. Teach them to rise up and protect themselves. Free them from the immediate threat and enable them to defend themselves from future ones. Throw down corrupt and unjust governments and laws wherever they are encountered.
Do not give yourself over to Evil and Lawlessness.

You must be Lawful Good. One evil act will not bring condemnation, but continued willful evil or chaotic behavior will result in falling and a possibly worse punishment. Likewise, consorting with evil can also be permitted, and in doing so be a shining example of Good that will lead to repentance.
Oppose Tiamat and her children wherever they are found.

The machinations of The Dragon Queen are an anathema and must be stopped wherever and whenever they are found. Do not be distracted from the current crusade, but find another of the Faithful to foil it if possible. If necessary, finish your mission and come back uncover the plot. Slay Chromatic dragons when they stand in your way, but do not turn away from the mission to seek them out…
Do not dishonor the name of Bahamut.

While carrying His likeness, or serving in a place where you are known to be His representative, act with a dignified manner. Do be drunk, crude, lecherous, or rude. Purport yourself in a way that causes others to look upon the church of the Platinum Dragon with favor. However, do not be overly sanctimonious and lord your piety over others and so cause them to turn away. (In other words, don’t be an ass about it…)

The italicized text will be the flowery, in game language, while the indented text is what the DM and myself will understand it to mean. I did steal pretty heavily from Red Fel's suggestions because he really hit the nail on the head with his post and I didn't see any need to attempt to improve upon his ideas.

Any suggestions for the updated Code?

Clistenes
2014-02-05, 03:55 PM
Paladin lover here. The code as written in the PHB is way to restrictive to actually be applied to any real person. (I would know, I was raised extremely devout).

If you behave like a honest modern policeman while in peace, and like a civilized, modern soldier who respects the Geneva Conventions while at war, you will be so morally above the average humanoid in most D&D worlds that they will look up to you as a saint.

On top of that, add some rules coming from the cultural code of honor of each paladin, and that should be enough.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of the, "You do one evil thing you fall."

If you think about it, being a paladin is all about choosing the lesser evil. Killing people is evil, but paladins kill all the time to protect the inocent.

Red Fel
2014-02-05, 04:25 PM
Any suggestions for the updated Code?

Personally, I think you've got it covered. The first bullet point goes over your "be a symbol of Goodness" stuff. The second covers your "protect the weak" stuff. The third covers falling. The fourth covers a major doctrine of Bahamut-specific faith, smiting Evil dragons. The fifth covers what being Dragonborn means, and that's representing the faith in a positive way.

I like how you've got your in-character flavor-text doctrines and your out-of-character explanations. I like that you emphasize (and I think the DM and other players will like it too) that being Good does not mean being Stupid Good, does not mean being self-righteous, and does not mean putting your religious convictions constantly before the party's needs. These are often failings of inexperienced Paladin-players, and by putting them in writing you can keep yourself from falling into those traps.

Overall, I think it's excellent.

Although I'm a bit embarrassed being associated with all this "Good" business. Suppose I'll have to find a puppy to kick or something. I have my reputation to consider, after all.

BWR
2014-02-05, 04:32 PM
I almost always suggest this when the subject of paladins in D&D comes up: get hold of a copy of "The complete paladin's handbook" for 2e.
It does so very, very much to detail what a paladin is, how they should behave and what sort of vows and duties they have, etc.

Clistenes
2014-02-05, 05:04 PM
I almost always suggest this when the subject of paladins in D&D comes up: get hold of a copy of "The complete paladin's handbook" for 2e.
It does so very, very much to detail what a paladin is, how they should behave and what sort of vows and duties they have, etc.

That book's version of the paladin is strongly based on the aristocratic Arthurian knights Lancelot, Perceval and above all, on Galahad, which is very out of place in any society that isn't a feudal, aristocratic, knightly, medieval one. The book strongly supports the idea that a paladin can't tell a little lie to save thousand of lives without falling and similar extremes.

Asteron
2014-02-05, 05:10 PM

I have read it, but it's been a while. Perhaps I'll peruse it again.

One thing to note, though, is that Bahamut favors the Good aspect as opposed to the Lawful one and is a bit more lenient on both than is normally expected from a LG deity... Which I hope is reflected in the above Code.

TuggyNE
2014-02-05, 07:26 PM
If you think about it, being a paladin is all about choosing the lesser evil. Killing people is evil, but paladins kill all the time to protect the inocent.

Um… that's not how the books explain it. In D&D alignment, killing creatures is not inherently Evil. Killing fiends is specifically a Good act, in fact; killing Always Evil or Usually Evil creatures is either Neutral or Good depending on motivation; even killing a Good creature in self-defense or the defense of another may be warranted and non-Evil.

Instead of killing being evil, it is (often) undesirable and to be avoided if possible.

Fax Celestis
2014-02-05, 07:30 PM
Depending on who you kill, it might be chaotic too (since, you know, it's illegal).

malonkey1
2014-02-05, 07:42 PM
Depending on who you kill, it might be chaotic too (since, you know, it's illegal).

Meh....Breaking the law may or may not be "capital-C" Chaotic. It all depends on circumstances. If you're breaking the letter of the law, but following out the spirit of the law, then you could argue it's still lawful, or if the law is from an authority you don't (or can't) recognize. Or if killing him would be a lesser injustice than the consequences of allowing him to live. It's really rather muddy.

Clistenes
2014-02-05, 07:46 PM
Um… that's not how the books explain it. In D&D alignment, killing creatures is not inherently Evil. Killing fiends is specifically a Good act, in fact; killing Always Evil or Usually Evil creatures is either Neutral or Good depending on motivation; even killing a Good creature in self-defense or the defense of another may be warranted and non-Evil.

Instead of killing being evil, it is (often) undesirable and to be avoided if possible.

I'm aware of that, but I have always seen that as completely arbitrary. Killing an evil dude to save a single person is described as a Good act. Telling a lie to save millions is seen as a Chaotic act that can make you fall.

I prefer Good and Evil to be something a bit more similar to real life, rather than completely arbitrary constructions.

And yes, I'm aware that they made it so paladins could mindlessly slaughter hordes of orcs while being able to put the player in situations that forced them to roleplay a paladin trying to follow a very strict Code. I still prefer a more logical view on morals.

TuggyNE
2014-02-05, 08:56 PM
I prefer Good and Evil to be something a bit more similar to real life

I shan't go into detail, but the distinction between killing-as-seriously-uncool and killing-as-Evil is not without warrant in serious thought outside D&D. I therefore recommend further research on your own time.