PDA

View Full Version : Spells That Are Spells But Aren't Spells

Thunderfist12
2014-02-03, 03:45 PM
Spells That Are Spells But Aren't Spells

So I'm running a Plague World campaign in a different system. Unfortunately, little to no spells in that system can be used in such a campaign. Basically, I'm compiling a list of "spells" that seem magical but are actually achieved through mutations and psionics, and I need your help.

Now, I'm not asking for a game effect. I'm asking for the "spell" itself - I'll convert it once I have it. Instead, I just want an idea and a name, along with a category (mut. = mutation, psi. = psionic). I will post the effects tagged onto your submission in the "spell"book spoiler (obviously giving each of you credit).

See the template below for spell formats.

Name
Category: Mut / Psi
Description: What does it do?
Effect: Leave this empty.

Passive Mutations
Unlike spells, mutations are usually permanent. Damage from such mutations that would normally taken when activating is instead a permanent reduction from the character's Endurance total. Such mutations are marked with an asterisk (*).

Uncounterable
Mutations can not be countered or effected as spells can.
"Spells"
Spectrum Sight (3*): This mutation permanently increases your Perception bonus by +2.
Created by Kamai
Broken Clock (4): You alter one target's perception of time. Over the matter of a few minutes, you can make it seem like hours or seconds have passed for the target. Given no outside proof to the contrary, the creature will believe time has passed as you dictate. This effects how quickly the target perceives reality and reacts. If this ability is used in the missile combat phase on an opponent or an ally, its effects require another roll. Make a roll, subtracting your target's Defensive Bonus. For a number of combat rounds equal to that number, he perceives things as either happening twice as quickly or half as quickly as they really are. If time is fast for him, he treats his Attack Bonuses and Defense Bonus as if they were 1 less than they really were. If time is slow for him, he treats these abilities as if they were 1 greater instead.
Created by Kamai

Lapse of Attention (?): ???.
Created by Kamai
Telekinesis (5): You may use this spell to manipulate objects no larger than half your size from a short range. If this ability is used in a pre-combat phase in which the opponent is unaware of you, its effects require another roll (after the casting roll). Make a Steal & Take action (see Action Table), adding your Magical bonus rather than your Trickery bonus. If you are unsuccessful (on a result of 8 or less), your opponent is aware of you and you must take an action.
Converted from the standard spell form

TuggyNE
2014-02-04, 01:37 AM
What exactly do you mean by psionics, and what sort of scope are you looking for? Is it just a few odd abilities, or a complete 3.x-style magic system, or what?

dylanh043
2014-02-04, 02:22 AM
hmm I think the thing to do would be to look at the spell descriptors.

Force damage ala magic missiles could be telekinetic psionics

acid damage would be from mutations

cold/fire/elec could be both physical mutations and psionics

and boom they can use the whole spellbook

Thunderfist12
2014-02-04, 04:58 PM
This is what I meant:

I already have a "magic" system I'm comfortable with. I do not need a new one.

By psionics, I mean powers of the mind, for the mind, to the mind, and over the mind. Meaning they are powers from the brain that either benefit the same brain (or its respective body), communicate with other minds, or dominate / influence other minds (or establish greater control of emotion within itself).

So what I'm asking for is:

A Name
This is what it will be called. Please be original, I want them to sound interesting (unlike most RPG spells).

A Type
Just decide whether it's a mutation or a psionic ability.

A Description
Tell me, basically, what it does. And, please, be realistic. If I wanted magic, I would have asked for magic.

Does that help at all?

Eldan
2014-02-04, 05:27 PM
What do you mean by mutation? Plausible or fantastic? Things that a mutation could get you, or just random animal bodyparts? Because I could cover a lot of magic with random animal bodyparts.

Thunderfist12
2014-02-04, 06:03 PM
Things a mutation could actually do to a grown person, for the most part..

Also, for mutations that have a Local prerequisite, think of micro-evolution by mutation over roughly 500 years of generations exposed to radioactivity and mutagenic bacteria. Don't worry about the Local prerequisite - that's my job.

Rakaydos
2014-02-04, 06:14 PM
The standard line of buff spells- Bulls strength, ect, would work well as mutations, I would think. Even the int, wis and charisma versions are egghead, dali lama and rockstar mutations.

Thunderfist12
2014-02-04, 06:15 PM
By the way, the references to the Magical skill are simply made because it was a skill already made for the system, and it would be easier to use that skill for both types of "spells" than create a separate skill for each.

Hopefully this example will help.

Name: Telekinesis
Type: Psi
Description: The person may manipulate small objects within a short distance.

Telekinesis (5): You may use this spell to manipulate objects no larger than half your size from a short range. If this spell is cast in a pre-combat phase in which the opponent is unaware of you, its effects require a roll. Make a Steal & Take action (see Action Table), adding your Magical bonus rather than your Trickery bonus. If you are unsuccessful (on a result of 8 or less), your opponent is aware of you and you must take an action.

dylanh043
2014-02-05, 12:29 AM
What would be the key abilities Psionics run off of INT, WIS, or CHA?

Perhaps something like INT for Telekinetics, WIS or Will for mind over body things, and CHA for telepaths?

Would long range mutations (acid spit, fire breath, etc.) act as a physical attack or a ranged magic touch?

Sorry I tend to think in 3.5/D20 Mod

Perhaps something like:

Telekinetic Bolt; Lvl 2 Psionic Skill: This skill allows you to spend one energy point to deal 1d6 force damage plus ability modifier to an enemy or object. The damage increases by 1d6 every 2 Psion levels (max 5d6).

Nice and simple like that or were you looking for something more complicated?

Kamai
2014-02-05, 02:07 AM
A couple of thoughts:
Name: Spectrum Sight
Type: Mutation
Effect: You can tell even the smallest difference in colors by seeing very small differences in the energies of visible light.

Name: Lapse of Attention
Type: Psionic
Effect: For a single target, you can make a creature or object simply not exist. Any affect they have on surrounding objects can still be seen by the target.

Name: Broken Clock
Type: Psionic
Effect: You alter one target's perception of time. Over the matter of a few minutes, you can make it seem like hours or seconds have passed for the target. Given no outside proof to the contrary, the creature will believe time has passed as you dictate.

Maybe a bit on the low power side, but do I have the right idea?

Thunderfist12
2014-02-05, 10:53 AM
@dylanh043: I didn't want game effect because the effects people would list make no sense in this system. I would rather have actual descriptions.

@kamai: Awesome. That is exactly what I was asking for. I'll post back the refined versions whe I can.

Thunderfist12
2014-02-05, 10:59 AM
Templates for Broken Clock, Lapse of Attention, and Spectrum Sight added to the "Spell"book.

Full ability Telekinesis added to the "Spell"book.

Thunderfist12
2014-02-05, 12:25 PM
Full ability Broken Clock added to the "Spell"book.

Ability template Spectrum Sight relocated due to a previous error in placement.

So my comments:

Broken Clock: This was hard to put to mechanics, but it should be relatively useful. I like the idea, and it will probably be worth the time it took to translate.

Broken Clock (4): You alter one target's perception of time. Over the matter of a few minutes, you can make it seem like hours or seconds have passed for the target. Given no outside proof to the contrary, the creature will believe time has passed as you dictate. This effects how quickly the target perceives reality and reacts. If this ability is used in the missile combat phase on an opponent or an ally, its effects require another roll. Make a roll, subtracting your target's Defensive Bonus. For a number of combat rounds equal to that number, he perceives things as either happening twice as quickly or half as quickly as they really are. If time is fast for him, he treats his Attack Bonuses and Defense Bonus as if they were 1 less than they really were. If time is slow for him, he treats these abilities as if they were 1 greater instead.
Created by Kamai

Spectrum Sight: This was rather easy. It gave me the idea of a mechanic for permanent mutations. I would think that a player who wishes to play a perceptive character would choose this mutation.

Spectrum Sight (3*): This mutation permanently increases your Perception bonus by +2.
Created by Kamai

Thunderfist12
2014-02-07, 05:27 PM
Lapse of Attention has yet to be statted.

Any other "spells"?

Parvum
2014-02-07, 07:10 PM
Good old Endure Elements. I'm not familiar with this system, are we talking about Biopunk kind of mutations? Otherwise this is probably extreme.

Temperature Tolerance
Mutation
You can exist comfortably in extreme heat or cold.

Pheremones
Mutation
A certain kind of animal (mutant?) is never aggressive towards you. You can sometimes sway them to your wishes.

Carrion Detection
Mutation
You can locate the smell of corpses more competently than a bloodhound.

Is this the sort of extreme you're looking for?

Thunderfist12
2014-02-08, 04:27 PM
That works fine, Parvum. I'll post these up when I can.

Thank you.

MoleMage
2014-02-09, 09:25 PM
Dragon's Lung
Mutation
Your body has developed chemical reserves. Provided your diet includes <some native semi-toxic plant>, you can expel a cloud of reactive chemicals from your mouth, seemingly breathing fire.

Effect: Deals damage in <area> (of the fire type, but variations for acid?). Character can safely consume <native semi-toxic plant>.

Negate Toxins
Psionic
When you are exposed to venoms or contact poisons, you can use your fine control over your body's systems to cause blood not to flow through the affected area, and the nerves in that area to stop sending signals, all without affecting surrounding systems. You can resume blood flow after the toxin has been appropriately treated, or remove the affected area and allow it to heal normally if it is small enough.

Effect: Temporarily ignore the effects of a toxin. The area that was affected becomes effectively unusable (no blood, no nerves). Can be maintained indefinitely, but areas kept continuously removed from blood flow will necrotize.You can decide the exact penalties in a mechanical sense for how this works.

Here's a couple ideas off the top of my head. Subscribed I'll check in periodically and see if anything new came to mind.

3WhiteFox3
2014-02-10, 02:15 AM
Perception Alteration
Psionic

Altering the perceptions of nearby creatures so that they can't see you. Not actual invisibility as you are still visible to anything without a mind to alter (such as machines or cameras).

Hypnotic Suggestion
Psionic

The ability to put other creatures into a hypnotic trance and implant suggestions that can alter behavior.

Adaptive Camouflage
Mutation

The ability to make your skin pigmentation match the appearance of your surroundings making it harder to spot you.

Eagle Eyes
Mutation

You can see much farther and with greater percision than a normal human.

Animalistic Speed
Mutation

You can run much faster than normal humans, and you don't tire as quickly from prolonged movement.

Iron Stomach
Mutation

You can eat almost anything with few consequences, be it metal, acid, poison or other dangerous substances. Anything that you ingest is not harmful to you and you can subsist on those things for an indefinite amount of time.

Psionic Hole
Mutation

For the purpose of Psionic powers that sense creatures or beings, you don't exist. You are completely undetectable by Psionic powers.

Mindsight
Psionic

You can sense creatures by the emanations put out by their brain waves. As long as something can think, you can detect them within a short range. This sense cannot be blocked by any material.