PDA

View Full Version : What would you play

Rev666
2014-02-03, 04:12 PM
Okay hypothetical question: if by some miracle you rolled 18 for all six of your stats, what would you play?

Diarmuid
2014-02-03, 04:26 PM
I'd play Powerball.

Jeff the Green
2014-02-03, 04:29 PM
A homebrew arcane hierophant that's for Spirit Shamans rather than Druids, with Wu Jen as the arcane side.

Jurai
2014-02-03, 04:38 PM
Factotum||Battle dancer||Swordsage Tristalt.

nedz
2014-02-03, 04:49 PM
Whatever I wanted to play.

PraxisVetli
2014-02-03, 04:58 PM
I'd play Powerball.

Definately this.

Jeff the Green
2014-02-03, 05:14 PM
Factotum||Battle dancer||Swordsage Tristalt.

Well, as long as we're going with ge/tristalt, let's get everything to everything (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732)! Factotum//cloistered cleric/walker in the waste/prestige paladin/sacred fist//gloura/monk/swordsage/battle dancer/marshal/hexblade with Faerie Mysteries Initiate, Divine Might, and Shadow Blade. Charisma and Wisdom to AC twice; Charisma to saves twice (three times for spells); Charisma and Intelligence to Initiative and HP; Charisma, Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Dexterity to damage. Plus maneuvers, 9th-level cleric spells, bard spells, and action economy abuse.

roguemetal
2014-02-03, 05:15 PM
I'd play an Arcane variant Swordsage using Ur Priest, Beholdermage, and Fochlucan Lyrist. Because six 18s deserves absurdity.

Crake
2014-02-03, 05:39 PM
I'd play an Arcane variant Swordsage using Ur Priest, Beholdermage, and Fochlucan Lyrist. Because six 18s deserves absurdity.

How does an arcane variant swordsage even work.

watchwood
2014-02-03, 05:42 PM
Something incredibly MAD. Probably a monk.

Amphetryon
2014-02-03, 05:46 PM
Dwarf Warblade/Battlesmith/Something with a Smite attack, to put as many of those +4 bonuses to Damage as possible.

Karnith
2014-02-03, 05:54 PM
I'd probably make a gish of some sort with those stats.

That, or I'd play a 3.0 Psion and revel in the ability to actually use every discipline.

Not well. Or absurdly well, depending on how you look at it. Learning spells in place of maneuvers is just a tad strong.
It's also not a full/finished thing
It's poorly thought-out and terribly silly.

person29
2014-02-03, 06:00 PM
bard...my friend and I have said for years if we ever got all 18s we'd play a bard

roguemetal
2014-02-03, 06:23 PM

It was briefly mentioned under Swordsage in the Adaptation section.
It proposes replacing maneuvers with equivalent level arcane spells.

This could potentially be taken to mean a Swordsage has a number of spells they can refresh while still getting all their stances, but the explanation is pretty vague.

eggynack
2014-02-03, 06:24 PM
Clerics are pretty MAD, with every stat potentially contributing to your awesomeness, so maybe one of those.

Sir Chuckles
2014-02-03, 06:34 PM
Fireblood Dwarf Battledancer/Bard, who uses maracas for Dragonfire Inspiration and unarmed salsa dance moves for attacks.

madtinker
2014-02-03, 06:35 PM
My first thought was monk, but I tried to build a stormlord this weekend and it's pretty MAD as well. Concept is a divine avenger who rides into battle mounted on a Griffin, tossing lightning bolts every which way. Needs high strength and dexterity, wisdom, and charisma. Constitution helps with all the mounted concentration checks to cast spells and intelligence for extra skills besides ride and handle animal.

LordBiscuit
2014-02-03, 06:57 PM
I could see myself doing a number of things actually. In order of priourity

A swiftblade, basically a take levels in warblade and wizard, take all the levels in swiftblade then continue my warblade progression. Rather gross and overlaiden with my abilities, but I always wanted to play as a swiftblade.

Alternatively druid with the backstory of being a forgotten god of nature, so that as I spread my faith and my name, that I grow stronger as a being due to the faith. Same with Cleric actually. I really like the idea of coming into being as a weak diety that has to forge his own being in a world filled with mythlogy.

Lastly, sword sage would be incredably fun. Though even the idea of playing the Barbarian that is actually quite a powerful and noble being in pressence is appealing.

limejuicepowder
2014-02-03, 07:03 PM
Not sure about the class, but the backstory would definitely involve "chosen/blessed by the gods." Or some kind of science experiment. Probably name him Steve Rogers, if I went that route.

Gish sounds attractive though.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-02-03, 07:12 PM
I actually rolled five 18's and one 17 one game, I made an arcane gish.

If I rolled all 18's, I'd make a LN Human Cloistered Cleric of Zarus (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041203a&page=1) 6/ Divine Oracle 4/ Contemplative 10. Start with Knowledge Devotion and the Strength and War domains, spontaneous domain casting for one of those, and trade the Strength domain power for Divine Restoration. Get the feat prerequisite for Divine Oracle from the Frog God's Fane in CS. Pick up the Oracle, Law, and Destiny domains from prestige classes. Get Bravado and Love of Nature (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258440#30), take Power Attack, Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, and DMM: Persistent at 1st level, Item Familiar at 3rd, Extra Turning at 6th, Craft Rod at 9th, and whatever else you want for the rest.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-02-03, 07:25 PM
A homebrew arcane hierophant that's for Spirit Shamans rather than Druids, with Wu Jen as the arcane side.

You don't need homebrew for that. Bamboo spirit folk gets the trackless step feature, then you can meet the rest of the requirements just fine as a wu jen/ spirit shaman.

On topic:

Base stats aren't that important in the long-run, so rolling six 18's doesn't mean much for my choice of what to play. At most it might inspire me to build a character around a luck theme. I remember there was an Iron Chef Optimization Challenge entry based on that theme one time; maybe recreate that with a bit of my own flair.

magwaaf
2014-02-03, 08:24 PM
magus10 duelist10. i have a build its just gear dependant afterwards

1pwny
2014-02-03, 08:30 PM
I would play a Monk/Fighter/Swashbuckler. Because why not.

And I would pick every single template, and a an LA +3 race, and then go fight a Solar Angel at level 3. With 1 level in each of the above classes.

OldTrees1
2014-02-03, 08:33 PM
Well I can't play the frail Mage or weak-minded Brute, so I guess that leaves the Dwarf Rogue.

Particle_Man
2014-02-03, 09:03 PM
Last time this thread came up I said Bard. That is still a good choice.

Others?

Paladin, perhaps. Or maybe Paladin/Monk.

Or what the hell, Soulborn. ;)

ZamielVanWeber
2014-02-03, 09:06 PM
Definitely Paladin... Well maybe Favored Soul of Bahamut.

Jeff the Green
2014-02-03, 09:13 PM
You don't need homebrew for that. Bamboo spirit folk gets the trackless step feature, then you can meet the rest of the requirements just fine as a wu jen/ spirit shaman.

Debateable. It requires trackless step as a class feature. There's also the fact that it does almost nothing for a spirit shaman beyond give spells, so it's not all that tempting without a replacement for wildshape and companion familiar.

Without homebrew, maybe an Archivist/Walker in the Waste. The flavor is perfect, and it's only MAD that makes Archivist a poor entrant normally.

Gavinfoxx
2014-02-03, 09:18 PM
Doesn't Divine Bard require lots of stats to work?

Meth In a Mine
2014-02-03, 11:18 PM
I'd play a sword and board warrior (Fighter 11/Crusader 9). No problem qualifying for TWF and family, not to mention combat expertise.

Or Barbarian 5/Tribal Protector 2/Fighter 2/ Frenzied Berserker 10

Dr. Azkur
2014-02-04, 01:40 AM
Something roguish... maybe a drip of monk.

I would play a Monk/Fighter/Swashbuckler. Because why not.

And I would pick every single template, and a an LA +3 race, and then go fight a Solar Angel at level 3. With 1 level in each of the above classes.

I can't pierce the veil (or Wall of Force actually) of vaguely defined presence of sarcasm in this post.

Kennisiou
2014-02-04, 01:43 AM
DMM Chameleon. The class cares about every stat and is massively powerful with basically all of them.

Dr. Azkur
2014-02-04, 01:45 AM
DMM Chameleon. The class cares about every stat and is massively powerful with basically all of them.

Alright let me second this.

Rejusu
2014-02-04, 05:51 AM
Not a monk, even if you take away MAD it's still not awesome. I might do my human paragon/paladin of tyranny/ur-priest/bone knight combo. That was a cool build but MAD as anything.

Sith_Happens
2014-02-04, 06:06 AM
Factotum, because every time I think about building one I end up wanting to trip, iaijutsu, and intimidate all on the same character, then switching to another class entirely because that's just way too MAD.

AkbarTheGreat
2014-02-04, 06:45 AM
I'd just go Factotum with Iajatsu Forces, autohypnosis, and be a changeling while I was at it. Don't just think you can do everything, actually DO everything.

Pilo
2014-02-04, 07:49 AM
StP Erudite, because you can.

Gwendol
2014-02-04, 08:16 AM
SotAO Paladin: where every ability counts.

Or, my VoP challenge build: Dragonborn Goliath Bear totem barbarian/FotF/Bear Warrior/War shaper/Hulking Hurler
probably slapping on some intimidation related feats and skill tricks.

Particle_Man
2014-02-04, 10:52 AM
I would also take a look at rarely taken feats, like the one that gives you blindsight 5', but has a prerequisite of wis 19.

Suddo
2014-02-04, 10:58 AM
I play pathfinder mostly now but I think the answer is applicable to non-pathfinder people.

Paladin/Monk.

Oko and Qailee
2014-02-04, 11:05 AM
Probably a paladin into bone knight

SiuiS
2014-02-04, 11:08 AM
I played a wizard. It was good fun! I voluntarily took a 13 to strength though, because straight 18s was boring.

If it happened again? I'd play a factotum.

zilonox
2014-02-04, 11:16 AM
I'd play Powerball.

LOL!

Personally, I'd play something psionic. But then, I tend to play something psionic no matter the stats. =D

Stux
2014-02-04, 11:27 AM
Something incredibly MAD. Probably a monk.

See the thing is even with great starting rolls you are always going to be better off running something SAD than something MAD. This is because beyond your starting stats a SAD class only needs a single type of magic item to boost the stat they need and can invest all their ability increases from levelling in that stat. A MAD character will quickly find it impossible to get all their stats up to as good a level, regardless of starting rolls.

It closes the gap a little sure, but its very little in the grand scheme of things. I don't think it would change what I was intending to play before rolling very much at all. Though conversely of course a very skewed set of rolls might discourage playing a MAD class.

Dr. Azkur
2014-02-04, 12:40 PM
See the thing is even with great starting rolls you are always going to be better off running something SAD than something MAD. This is because beyond your starting stats a SAD class only needs a single type of magic item to boost the stat they need and can invest all their ability increases from levelling in that stat. A MAD character will quickly find it impossible to get all their stats up to as good a level, regardless of starting rolls.

It closes the gap a little sure, but its very little in the grand scheme of things. I don't think it would change what I was intending to play before rolling very much at all. Though conversely of course a very skewed set of rolls might discourage playing a MAD class.

So basically... never play a MAD class?

Stux
2014-02-04, 12:47 PM
So basically... never play a MAD class?

Not at all. I'm saying if you want to play a MAD class then go for it, rolls be damned. Its just good starting rolls doesn't make them much more optimal. The monk doesn't suddenly become a good class because you've rolled a bunch of 16+ stats.

Dr. Azkur
2014-02-04, 12:51 PM
Oh, cool then!

Rejusu
2014-02-04, 06:27 PM
Not at all. I'm saying if you want to play a MAD class then go for it, rolls be damned. Its just good starting rolls doesn't make them much more optimal. The monk doesn't suddenly become a good class because you've rolled a bunch of 16+ stats.

Although I'd say it's the Monks class features that pose a bigger barrier to it being a good class than it's MADness.

ddude987
2014-02-04, 06:34 PM
I think I would play a build that dips something like 1 level in as many classes as possible (fractional bab and saves FTW), and trys to get X to Y as many times as it can.

Kennisiou
2014-02-04, 06:50 PM

I think the thing to look for is less how dependant the role you want to play is on good stats and more how much they can use the stats even if they don't need them. I can make a good DMM Chameleon build off of a 10/10/10/14/14/14 stat block. Cleric, too. But because they're capable of making good use of every stat even if they only need to use one or two of them.

Stux
2014-02-04, 07:44 PM
But because they're capable of making good use of every stat even if they only need to use one or two of them.

A very good point! I think I would indeed be very tempted to make a monstrous beater of a cleric!

Particle_Man
2014-02-05, 11:30 AM
A friend of mine actually rolled 5 18s and 1 15 on the 4d6 drop the lowest method. She put the 15 in int and became a cleric. This was in 1st ed AD&D and it was her first character to boot!

Supermouse
2014-02-05, 04:03 PM
If I rolled all 18's, I'd play Lightning Warrior (http://www.myth-weavers.com/wiki/index.php/Lightning_Warrior), because he needs 18 in every ability to survive without a familiar.

Meowmasterish
2014-02-05, 08:00 PM
I would play a spellhoarding loredrake dragonwrought kobold sorcerer. Of course, only if the DM allowed it. Make it 120 years old and you get + 3 to all mental stats, and no physical penalties because you count as a dragon.