PDA

View Full Version : I am stuck...

TwentyFold
2014-02-03, 07:34 PM
Elloz,
I am having trouble, a ton of trouble. Mainly with choosing what to play in my DM's new campaign. To better help anyone who may help me I am giving:

Some roles I have either overplayed, or dont want to play anymore.

Restrictions in the campaign set by the DM

What my current party consists of.
.................................................. .................................................. .....

The base restrictions are as follows:

Certain feats deemed by the DM as too OP are banned.

Race Restrictions on: Aliens (elans and the dream race from Ebberon), Robots (warforged), and little lizard people (kobolds, mainly because of some pestering).

No homebrew is allowed.

If there is multiple versions of a spell, and one of the versions is in the spell compendium, we will use that.

Furthermore, all characters will not do personalities until we all meet to work together on the subject (as to make sure we dont have a huge conflict in the party, and our DM says that we must all know eachother from childhood).
.................................................. .................................................. .....

My party so far is:

A Goliath, shadowcaster who took vow of nonviolence to restrict his life to only debuffing, and he also took the Primordial Template, to further his spellcasting. (Main Spellcaster, Offensive Debuffing)

Either a Human, Psionic Warrior who mostly deals in the use of summoning a powerful weapon to slap everyone around. (Big party Half frontliner, half caster, half anime character...) Or a Human, totemist who is striving to try the porcupine machine gun build. (Main Ranged DPS)

Unknown...

What I have played, and the roles filled:

Half-Elven Ranged Ranger - Ranged DPS

Elven Sorcerer - Debuff and Evocing w/ some needed Utility

Changeling Gunsage (3 lvls of swordsage/ rest Gunslinger - Pathfinder) - Ranged DPS
Shifter - Longstrider - Scout - Melee Striker (Super Speed Build)

Lizardfolk Dragonblade (Crusader/Eternal Blade [House decision]) - Tank/ Secondary Fighter

I will admit, a short history, which is why I need help choosing a good role that can benifit my party as well as benefit my gameplay.

Thanks for any Help,
Twentyfold8 :smallwink:

P.S. If you need help on the campaign setting and ect., just ask. :smallsmile:

Invader
2014-02-03, 07:51 PM
Druid can fill almost any role, you don't have one in your party, and you've never played one.

Captnq
2014-02-03, 08:04 PM
Second the druid.

eggynack
2014-02-03, 08:06 PM
Yes, do that thing. The thing involving druidry. Druids are cool.

Dr. Azkur
2014-02-03, 08:07 PM
Binder is cool and super versatile. Go Anima Mage if you want to slap casting into it.

Maybe you could try some less standard character such as going for a monster class/savage progression? I've been wanting to play a Vampire for some time but I'm unsure on what to continue it once I complete the monster class.

EDIT: If you go druid I suggest you do anything but optimize. Specially if the guy playing the shadowcaster is anything short of an op genius.

Lightlawbliss
2014-02-03, 08:09 PM
If you have never felt the insanity at your figure tips that is the druid, you should do it at least once.

nedz
2014-02-03, 08:12 PM
How about a Beguiler ?

You get skills, actually quite a lot, and spells. The latter are mainly Illusions, Enchantments and roguish utility.

It's very hard to get a beguiler to do damage so you could join the Goliath on the exalted path. This fits with expanding their spell selection via Arcane Disciple and various PrCs.

Azoth
2014-02-03, 08:21 PM
Could always slap out an Unseen Seer. Scouting + all the wizardry goodies. Typical is Rogue1/wiz5/unseen seer 10/fullcasterPRC4. Pick up Accidic Splatter reserve feat for when you need to attack something. The rest of the time you are the party Batman. Focusing on BFC and the like can be fun. Lock things down for the beatstick to maul to death. Works well with the debuffer too.

Petrocorus
2014-02-03, 08:38 PM
Have you tried a Bardadin?

Either:
Bard 2 / Paladin 2 / Bard +2 / Lyric Thaumaturge 4 / Sublime Chord 2 / Abjurant Champion 4 / Unseen Seer 4

Or Bard 2 / Paladin 2 / Bard +2 / Lyric Thaumaturge 4 / Sublime Chord 2 / Unseen Seer 8

Alternatively: Bard 2 / Paladin 2 / Bard +2 / Lyric Thaumaturge 3/ Divine Crusader 1 / Comtemplative 1 / Sublime Chord 1 / Fochlucan Lyrist 8

TwentyFold
2014-02-03, 08:41 PM
Druid can fill almost any role, you don't have one in your party, and you've never played one.

Second the druid.

Yes, do that thing. The thing involving druidry. Druids are cool.

Druid sounds Great, I had to have a backup Character once who was a druid, but got kicked after my Ranger Got revived XD!

Binder is cool and super versatile. Go Anima Mage if you want to slap casting into it.

I feel that the binder is very versatile, but I have always been a shtic about having to do something against my will... :smallbiggrin:

Maybe you could try some less standard character such as going for a monster class/savage progression? I've been wanting to play a Vampire for some time but I'm unsure on what to continue it once I complete the monster class.

EDIT: If you go druid I suggest you do anything but optimize. Specially if the guy playing the shadowcaster is anything short of an op genius.

The shadowcaster is using a boost that the DM allowed that makes him Teir 4, but I will be sure to only give myself small useful feats and not optimize to hard (despite my poor optimization XD).

If you have never felt the insanity at your figure tips that is the druid, you should do it at least once.

I have felt much insanity before, but this... THIS IS REAL INSANITY, and im not even holding it yet :smallamused:

How about a Beguiler ?

You get skills, actually quite a lot, and spells. The latter are mainly Illusions, Enchantments and roguish utility.

It's very hard to get a beguiler to do damage so you could join the Goliath on the exalted path. This fits with expanding their spell selection via Arcane Disciple and various PrCs.

I have looked at Beguiler, and i like the idea of being dat swav, smooth talkin guy who is just so good at being that charismatic guy, that he makes women go crazy when they only hear his honeyed tongue. :smallwink: But I have had too many deals with Charisma up to this point that i will take a break for now, but maybe, maybe.

TwentyFold
2014-02-03, 08:43 PM
Could always slap out an Unseen Seer. Scouting + all the wizardry goodies. Typical is Rogue1/wiz5/unseen seer 10/fullcasterPRC4. Pick up Accidic Splatter reserve feat for when you need to attack something. The rest of the time you are the party Batman. Focusing on BFC and the like can be fun. Lock things down for the beatstick to maul to death. Works well with the debuffer too.

I love this idea, especially if the other guy did a warblade and the shadowcaster and i just ran the debuff crew XD, for now though I shall add that to mah books of ideas, thnx.

TwentyFold
2014-02-03, 08:46 PM
Have you tried a Bardadin?

Either:
Bard 2 / Paladin 2 / Bard +2 / Lyric Thaumaturge 4 / Sublime Chord 2 / Abjurant Champion 4 / Unseen Seer 4

Or Bard 2 / Paladin 2 / Bard +2 / Lyric Thaumaturge 4 / Sublime Chord 2 / Unseen Seer 8

Alternatively: Bard 2 / Paladin 2 / Bard +2 / Lyric Thaumaturge 3/ Divine Crusader 1 / Comtemplative 1 / Sublime Chord 1 / Fochlucan Lyrist 8

Seems that there is going to one day be some Spooning around these parts, Divine Spooning.... :smallcool:

Petrocorus
2014-02-03, 08:54 PM
Seems that there is going to one day be some Spooning around these parts, Divine Spooning.... :smallcool:

What is spooning?

Dr. Azkur
2014-02-03, 08:56 PM

Will you be the big spoon or the small spoon?

What is spooning?
Something grown-ups like to do when they love each other after they ****

nedz
2014-02-03, 08:59 PM
I have looked at Beguiler, and i like the idea of being dat swav, smooth talkin guy who is just so good at being that charismatic guy, that he makes women go crazy when they only hear his honeyed tongue. :smallwink: But I have had too many deals with Charisma up to this point that i will take a break for now, but maybe, maybe.

Beguiler's are Int based.
They're the smart guy who plays everyone else, for their own good of course.
A thinking man's rogue.

Callin
2014-02-03, 09:24 PM
Add on Savage Progression Savage Vampire at lvl 2 so you start to manifest old latent vamp abilities encoded in your dna lol. Go skills with Factotem or whatever.

Vangor
2014-02-03, 09:36 PM
Whenever I or others with experience have been unable to decide, my first instinct is Factotum, in particular strongheart glimmerskin halfling factotum.

After this, bards are often the greatest choice, especially as bard knack and jack of all trades, in particular if the DM is iwlling to say whatever feat (forget what) increases bardic knowledge would work similar to bardic knack (giving an additional +2 to all skills); once more, I suggest strongheart glimmerskin halfling here.

I have never had a more fun game than when I am built around the idea to fill in every role. For the first, I do this mechanically, able to heal, disarm, sneak, fight, buff, etc.. For the second, I do this more thematically, having the apparent knowledge to pilot a dirigible, craft needed glassware, recite local lore, cook to impress kings, and more.

Of course, you could simply be a druid with great and small who transforms into a smilodon with a smaller smilodon pet to easily disable foes.

Urpriest
2014-02-03, 09:36 PM
What is spooning?

Literally, see above. The reference I assume is to Spoony Bards (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/QuirkyBard?from=Main.SpoonyBard).

TwentyFold
2014-02-03, 11:45 PM
What is spooning?

We used to make fun of a bard in our party, and it is essentially "cupping the jugs of whoever is turned away from you".... ya we are terrible people.... :smallfrown:

TwentyFold
2014-02-03, 11:46 PM
Will you be the big spoon or the small spoon?

Something grown-ups like to do when they love each other after they ****

Depends, is it a silver spoon, or a cold iron spoon

TwentyFold
2014-02-03, 11:51 PM
Beguiler's are Int based.
They're the smart guy who plays everyone else, for their own good of course.
A thinking man's rogue.
yet it can also have a charming aspect to it :smallsmile:

Add on Savage Progression Savage Vampire at lvl 2 so you start to manifest old latent vamp abilities encoded in your dna lol. Go skills with Factotem or whatever.
oh dear lord, reminds me of my friend, ended up as a walker of the waste, tengu, umberhulk who was made of wind.

Whenever I or others with experience have been unable to decide, my first instinct is Factotum, in particular strongheart glimmerskin halfling factotum.
I really one day want to pull a Iajutsu focus Factotum warblade, someday...
After this, bards are often the greatest choice, especially as bard knack and jack of all trades, in particular if the DM is iwlling to say whatever feat (forget what) increases bardic knowledge would work similar to bardic knack (giving an additional +2 to all skills); once more, I suggest strongheart glimmerskin halfling here.

I have never had a more fun game than when I am built around the idea to fill in every role. For the first, I do this mechanically, able to heal, disarm, sneak, fight, buff, etc.. For the second, I do this more thematically, having the apparent knowledge to pilot a dirigible, craft needed glassware, recite local lore, cook to impress kings, and more.

Of course, you could simply be a druid with great and small who transforms into a smilodon with a smaller smilodon pet to easily disable foes.
I really wanted to do something like that, but that makes me feel like my DM is gonna shapeshifter varient all druids, so i will keep low for now. :smallannoyed: Also True, that is mainly why the bard is Teir 3, and it makes me want to play one, if not for the good ol bard tradition of being that guy who tells stories or sings songs (not that you cant fluff it, it just never escapes my mind)

Literally, see above. The reference I assume is to Spoony Bards (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/QuirkyBard?from=Main.SpoonyBard).

Pretty much XD

Lightlawbliss
2014-02-04, 12:51 AM
twentyfold, If you need help learning how to edit your post: just ask. There are many people who would be more then happy to help you.

nedz
2014-02-04, 12:56 AM
Depends, is it a silver spoon, or a cold iron spoon

A wooden spoon for some bards. Mainly Core only or unoptimised ones it must be said.

Dr. Azkur
2014-02-04, 01:11 AM
twentyfold, If you need help learning how to edit your post: just ask. There are many people who would be more then happy to help you.

EDIT: I think what he needs to learn is the proper etiquette. Because the "Edit" button is fairly easy to see, and quite straightforward to use.

Here it is then:
I SUMMON TwentyFold's ATTENTION TO THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH!
Double, triple, oh god quadruple (and so on) posts are poorly seen as (I guess) take up space needlessly. So instead of posting repeated times without someone else's post in the middle (i.e. in a row) edit your post as much as needed.

Lightlawbliss
2014-02-04, 09:31 AM

first off, I never used the words "needs to learn" in the context you are using them in so please don't say you are quoting me with them.

second: I try to assume people have read the "Rules of Posting (Please Read!)" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=59&a=1) thread and that they just need help learning how to comply and/or forgot.

Now. Back to the OP's questions

Dr. Azkur
2014-02-04, 09:55 AM
Huh! I apologise on the misquotingmisreading, truly. Lack of sleep.

Slipperychicken
2014-02-04, 10:02 AM
A wooden spoon for some bards. Mainly Core only or unoptimised ones it must be said.

You'll still want a wooden backup spoon in case some rust monster tries to snack on your metal ones.

zephyrkinetic
2014-02-04, 01:09 PM
Aim for Geomancer, starting with a genasi druid.

TwentyFold
2014-02-04, 01:25 PM

EDIT: I think what he needs to learn is the proper etiquette. Because the "Edit" button is fairly easy to see, and quite straightforward to use.

Sorry to all who are annoyed by my lack of experience, but i know how to do the simple stuff, its just i like to respond quickly, sort of a weakness of mine on forums. And when i see something come up right after I quote a few people, and it seems important, i post.
But sorry anyway.

Aim for Geomancer, starting with a genasi druid.

I really want to try Geomancer ever since mah DM talked about it, though i want to keep it simple because my DM is about to go nuts and Shapeshift Varient everything Druid on me... Its not too hurtful, but i want my puppy to be strong, not the Wild Cohort who is meh.

Dr. Azkur
2014-02-04, 01:36 PM
Sorry to all who are annoyed by my lack of experience, but i know how to do the simple stuff, its just i like to respond quickly, sort of a weakness of mine on forums. And when i see something come up right after I quote a few people, and it seems important, i post.
But sorry anyway.

No one was hurt, that's what matters.

Petrocorus
2014-02-04, 01:46 PM
I really want to try Geomancer ever since mah DM talked about it, though i want to keep it simple because my DM is about to go nuts and Shapeshift Varient everything Druid on me... Its not too hurtful, but i want my puppy to be strong, not the Wild Cohort who is meh.

If you want to go Geomancer, you should take a look at the Sha'Ir base class from Dragon Compendium, it's one of the best class to qualify for Geomancer.

TwentyFold
2014-02-05, 03:24 AM
No one was hurt, that's what matters.
Thnx for the Reinsurence

If you want to go Geomancer, you should take a look at the Sha'Ir base class from Dragon Compendium, it's one of the best class to qualify for Geomancer.
Will do

Also this is cause for celebration FIRST THREAD W/ 2 PAGES!!! yaaaaay! :smallbiggrin: